Rifle Size Problems

I have never really used my 10/22 for anything other then recreational plinking but I was just trying out some prone dry firing in anticipation for the Appleseed shoot and it seems that it is just too short and small in general.

I feel like the stock is much too short and the sights are much too low set.

Is there any suggestions you guys have? I am thinking Tech-Sights will help with the height issue or maybe a scope...? Maybe a new stock?

Any advice is welcome.

Do you have a sling on it yet ? This will help.

Yes, Tech sights will help or just go with a low power scope and tall 1" rings.

Try a recoil pad to lengthen the fit of the stock, also remember you'll be bundled up in layers for this Appleseed. That will affect the fit of the rifle.

Hold off on buying a different stock for a bit.

There was a fellow at one of the Appleseeds who cobbled an extension together on-site to help out Ninsho who was having a similar issue with his 10/22. Iffin' he doesn't post here send him a PM to see what he did with his rifle.

Stock too short=get a new one, or get a recoil pad to add a little length to it.

Sights=get tech sights.

There are ready made butt plates that extend the length of pull about an inch or so. I've also noticed that the Hiviz 10/22 sights are direct replacements but both the front & rear are about 1.5 tenths of an inch taller than the stock sights. Though once you put a centerfire quality scope on there, you'll never go back to the iron sights again.
Take care and shoot straight

Stock too short=get a new one, or get a recoil pad to add a little length to it.

Sights=get tech sights.

+1

The tech sights are a no brainer. You wont have nearly as much fun without them.

A sling is also a huge plus. If you go without a sling and with the stock 10/22 sights you will be at a disadvantage. Just get a standard military web sling off of midway or brownells.

I got the Hogue overmold stock for mine. It's awesome. I think the length of pull is longer than the stock one...

Got home and checked the length of pull on the hogue stock - it's about 3/4" longer than the synthetic one that came on the rifle. I'm 6' 1" and it's a comfortable length for me. It also comes with sling swivels pre-installed.

Anyone ever try a "Dragunov" stock like this one?

s7_221265_imageset_01

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

The "Dragunov" stock has been used, they work.

There is an adjustable stock for them as well, Tapco sell a T-6 for the 10/22.

That cobbled together addition was a couple of wood block and some duct tape. That was one of my loaners, and over the winter, one of my stocks may end up permanently that long.

Length of Pull Extension

The simplest and easiest way to increase the length of pull on a stock may be found at Cheaper Than Dirt: PAD-350, Pachmayr Decelerator® Recoil Pad Slip on, Medium, for $19.97.

It's rubber that stretches over the end of the stock. Take it off for winter, put it on for summer. Let's you experiment before you spring for an expensive stock.

A cheap full sized rifle scope works. I'm partial to used Weaver scopes, particularly the steel tubed ones. They last forever, it seems and they work. My 10/22 wears a Weaver V8, usually set to 2X, and Dwarven1's 10/22 wears a Weaver V7, set on 2X.

Seeing that I'm a Master Instructor with RWVA, and he's a regular Instructor, that might be a clue that scopes are OK to use, and what we prefer.

The Tech Sights are going to be at the lower end of scope level, but you won't have stock issues using them, unless there's something unusual about your face bones. I've got 4 loaners that have them, TSR-100 type, and every one of those loaners has shot a Rifleman score at least once or more.

Tech sights will definitely help. Before I got mine installed I couldn't even get my eyes low enough to properly align the sights.

My solution to the stock length was one of these: http://www.combatstocks.com/Choate_Ruger_10_22_Dragunov_stock_.cfm

My 10/22 is now a lot more comfortable to shoot than the standard stock was. The only disappointment I had with this stock is that for some reason my magazines didn't want to drop free. Some filing and sandpaper solved that problem, however.

If an opportunity arises to meet up you are more than welcome to give it a try.

I had the same problem with the 10/22 carbine stock. I was going to build my own, but then I found the 10/22-T, which has a longer bull barrel and a different factory stock, fits me perfectly. So I slapped a set of Tech Sights (a MUST for the 10/22) on one of those instead.

Be careful when looking for aftermarket stocks for the 10/22 - most are designed for an aftermarket bull barrel (.920), instead of the factory barrel.

Is there an adjustable stock available for the 10/22 , like the ones used on AR15's....?

I have the Tapco T6 stock on one of my loaner/trainer 10/22s. It has great ergonomics for an inexpensive stock ($70 from midway with a C&R discount), and it's fantastic for teaching beginners because it can adjust to fit more body sizes (I've had everyone from a 4'11" girl to a 6'4" guy shoot it).

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=396866

Be careful, though - as hard as it is to believe, installing this stock (easy install) makes your 10/22 an assault weapon (collapsible stock, pistol grip, removable magazine). So make sure your 10/22 receiver is preban before installing.

STOCKS AND SCOPES AND MONEY, OH MY!

I won't get into get into the whole issue of scopes vs. iron sights, which has nothing to do with being "pure Appleseed" or cheating or anything else, since for some of us it's more a matter of eyesight and how old you are. If you are an old fart like me and can’t see the 400 yard target, you need a scope.[sad] If you are still young, well, you can put it off for a while, but some day you will probably need a scope. Doesn't hurt to start learning now.[wink]

I am not an expert in scope optics, but this is what I have learned, based on the Appleseeds I have shot, and on the purchases and returns I have made in the last year. I hope this saves you some time and money!

When you go to buy your first scope, there is a lot of scope specification nomenclature to learn, like “eye relief,” “objective lens,” and “vignetting.” These are all important, but aren’t worth a dime if the “length of pull” (LOP) of your stock is not correct for your body.

IT’S THE STOCK, STUPID or “I COULD ‘A HAD A V8” [crying]

More than anything else, the length of the stock determines where your eye will be at the rear of the scope. (This issue may not be as critical if you are using iron sights.) The LOP also affects other things like felt recoil and how comfortable you can be in certain shooting positions.

If I may be so bold, we don’t seem to discuss LOP enough at Appleseed. The LOP issue may not be discussed much at Appleseed, I think, because of our emphasis is on (1) “off the rack” rifles with iron sights and (2) the Ruger 10/22. Although the 10/22 is the best rifle to use for Appleseed, many of the Ruger models do come with a carbine or youth-sized stock that is too short for some of us, especially in sitting positions.

Determining one’s proper length of pull is an easy process, but seems to require a simple piece of gadgetry that none of us instructors seem to have--yet. (We currently solve the problem using trial and error with loaner rifles having different-sized stocks.)

The trial and error process didn’t work for me, so I went to a gunsmith to find out why. He had one of those length-of-pull measuring devices and put me through the process. He determined that my length of pull was whopping 15 ¼” with a thin shirt, which is longer than most people’s are. With padding or a heavy winter coat, we decided to make the stock 14 ¼” and I bought a $20 Pachmeyer rubber slip-on recoil pad (http://www.grafs.com/product/194646) for use in summer.

Now that I had my LOP well in hand and knew that my eye was always going to be in the same place (using the “turkey neck” technique taught at Appleseed), I was only then ready to buy a scope.[rofl] (It didn’t actually work out that way, because I had already bought the damn scope. We live and we learn, I guess.)

For me the most important feature of a scope turned out to be what is called "vignetting." That is the amount of black area one sees around the periphery of the image if the eye is not properly aligned with the rear of the scope. If the eye is properly positioned, one sees a full image with no black area at all.

The amount of vignetting of a scope is directly proportional to the size of the scope’s objective lens. The objective lens is the one at the front of the scope. The bigger the objective lens, the less is the vignetting.

I have found that an objective lens smaller that 50mm produces too much vignetting for me. I tried a scope with a 42mm objective, but sent it back. The next scope I buy will probably have a 56mm objective, if that’s an option. A larger objective also has the advantage of gathering more light and thus being more effective in dawn or dusk situations.

Eye relief (the distance one’s eye, when properly positioned, is from the rear lens of the scope) turned out not to be as important as I thought. Salesmen will say if you have a high power rifle with lots of recoil, you want lots of eye relief to avoid having the scope hit your eye during the recoil. Well, that may be true, but if the scope’s hitting your eye, you’re not positioning the butt of the stock correctly in your shoulder’s sweet spot. Once you get the butt of the stock properly positioned, your whole body, including your eye, moves back with the recoil as a single unit. Problem solved.[smile]

Extended eye relief (3” or more) does lend an advantage to one’s ability to mount the scope on some rifles, however.

Hope this helps and saves you some time, money, and frustration.[wink]

Is there any suggestions you guys have? I am thinking Tech-Sights will help with the height issue or maybe a scope...? Maybe a new stock?
Damn, Mike... I thought we went over this last summer! www.tech-sights.com

Seriously. Don't even hesitate. Don't even think of trying to shoot with those POS that Ruger calls sights. Best $55 you can spend for your Ruger.
A cheap full sized rifle scope works. I'm partial to used Weaver scopes, particularly the steel tubed ones. They last forever, it seems and they work. My 10/22 wears a Weaver V8, usually set to 2X, and Dwarven1's 10/22 wears a Weaver V7, set on 2X.
Well, actually it's a K7, and set for 2.5x, but that's because it's the lowest power it's got. But my new AR wears a Weaver V8.

No, it's not cheating - it's more that I wear bifocals, alas, and I just can't SEE that blasted 400 yard gray target. If it was black or red, I'd be able to see it, but the low contrast means that I can't see it.

But with the Weaver on my 10/22, I can see it AND hit it. Repeatedly. [grin]

Going to be at the GOAL party (whenever it's rescheduled for)? Failing that, when are you coming out to Harvard so you can try mine out? (I have a second LTR that does mount Tech-Sights).

Hmm... when's the next pin shoot out at Nenamasek? Maybe I'll come to you. I want to see how the Redhawk does on bowling pins up close and personal.

Back
Top Bottom