Rifle serial numbers?

I'm finishing up filling out FA-10 forms to transfer my late father-in-law's collection to my wife and me. I just have a few pieces left. However, I've run into a slight (major??) problem. I have a few rifles and I cannot locate a serial number on them: a Stevens Model 84C, a Remington 550-1, and a Savage Arms 24H. The Stevens has a scope on it, so I'm not sure whether or not the serial number is underneath the mount. On the other two, I can't find a number anywhere. While researching to identify model numbers for the collection, one of the rifles I researched, the listing mentioned that there were no serial numbers assigned to this model. So, I'm wondering if it's possible that the others involved also had no numbers "assigned" to them. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier thread regarding an H&R Arms Young American Bulldog revolver, I cannot find a serial number on this piece either.

I want to be sure that the FA-10 forms that I fill out are complete, but what if I cannot supply a serial number? Leave that area blank, mark it N/A, or what?

Any advice?

-Jake

I might get jumped on for saying this here so I am going to admit that this is the wrong thing to do in the eyes of MA law and you absolutely should not do this at all. Don't do it.

You shouldn't have said anything here, just tuck 'em away. MA records are so effed up they would never know anyway, besides registering guns is the first step towards the commies forcing you to turn them in. Besides they can't take away anything that they don't know you have. Those guns are so old that they've never been registered and theres no way for them to know you have them if they ever did try to make you hand 'em over.

Again do not follow what I just said because it is illegal and will get you in trouble. And I do not by any means condone the actions above.

Serial numbers were common as a matter of simple production efficiency; however, they were not required by law in this country until CGA '68.

Note that this forum has a Legal section precisely for questions such as this.

Last edited:
Were I positive that I'd be keeping these, and not selling them.... [wink]

I might get jumped on for saying this here so I am going to admit that this is the wrong thing to do in the eyes of MA law and you absolutely should not do this at all. Don't do it.

You shouldn't have said anything here, just tuck 'em away. MA records are so effed up they would never know anyway, besides registering guns is the first step towards the commies forcing you to turn them in. Besides they can't take away anything that they don't know you have. Those guns are so old that they've never been registered and theres no way for them to know you have them if they ever did try to make you hand 'em over.

Again do not follow what I just said because it is illegal and will get you in trouble. And I do not by any means condone the actions above.

Thanks. I realize there's a legal section, but I was more concerned about trying to determine if there was the possibility of these not having serial numbers, and then what to do about that regarding the form. I didn't want to cross-post my message.

jrbtzx12r & Chris - thanks for the suggestion also.

-Jake

Serial numbers were common as a matter of simple production efficiency; however, they were not required by law in this country until CGA '68.

Note that this forum has a Legal section precisely for questions such as this.

You may find serial numbers under the furniture. Try taking the stocks off.

One of my Plainfield receivers has its serial where the stock would cover it.

I thought of taking the stocks off, but I felt that that area might just be a secondary spot for the number. I guess it can't hurt to look underneath. How about the rifle that has a scope - remove the scope and see if there's a number there also? Guess it can't hurt to try. Otherwise, the forms go in with a NONE written-in. Thanks for the suggestion.

You may find serial numbers under the furniture. Try taking the stocks off.

One of my Plainfield receivers has its serial where the stock would cover it.

Back
Top Bottom