• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rifle sale to out of state?

I wanted to sell a stripped lower to my friend who lives in PA. He is able to legally own guns in his state. Can I just have him fill out a bill of sale?

I believe you will need to send it to your friend's FFL for transfer since federally it's considered a firearm and it's an interstate transfer. If I'm wrong I expect to be corrected shortly.

good to know and glad I asked. Someone had told me long guns are ok state to state, but I never take chances when it comes to gun laws.

If I drove it to PA would the bill of sale be legal for the sale?

No. Federal law prohibits private sales between individuals. It must go through an FFL. Violating this law can be punished with up to 10 years in federal prison. Just find an FFL near him that will accept the transfer, and ship the lower to the FFL.

good to know and glad I asked. Someone had told me long guns are ok state to state, but I never take chances when it comes to gun laws.

Nope. From the ATF FAQ:

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

Note that in this context, the word "licensed" means someone who has an FFL. The word "unlicensed" means someone who does not have an FFL.

You can sell to a private individual who resides in your state of residence. You can sell to an FFL in any state.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

Please verify this...

So, a person living in MA can NOT buy a non-large cap/non-assault long gun FTF from an individual in NH, but CAN purchase from a dealer/FFL in NH and then transport it back into MA, and then register it via F-10? Correct?

Back
Top Bottom