Rifle Possession

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Is it legal for me to possess a rifle in Connecticut. This should be a simple question but it isn’t these days.

The particulars:
Nonresident
No permit... still waiting.
Hunting rifle (5 round internal magazine)
No hunting license.

Thanks,

Bob

Is it legal for me to possess a rifle in Connecticut. This should be a simple question but it isn’t these days.

The particulars:
Nonresident
No permit... still waiting.
Hunting rifle (5 round internal magazine)
No hunting license.

Thanks,

Bob

There is no permit required to possess or transport a long gun in Connecticut. Note that without a permit you can not buy ammunition, magazines, or long guns in Connecticut. Unlike in the past, when a hunting license was a bypass to the 14 day wait on long guns, a hunting license is only relevant to hunting privileges currently.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "hunting rifle". If it is semi-automatic, it would be prudent to make sure that it is not an assault weapon.

It is important for anyone considering possessing a firearm in Connecticut to make sure that they are not a prohibited person under both federal and state law. One thing to note is that Connecticut's list of prohibiting convictions is much longer than the federal criteria. See 53a-217 for information on Connecticut prohibitions.

Sec. 53a-217. Criminal possession of a firearm, ammunition or an electronic defense weapon: Class C felony. (a) A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm, ammunition or an electronic defense weapon when such person possesses a firearm, ammunition or an electronic defense weapon and (1) has been convicted of a felony committed prior to, on or after October 1, 2013, or of a violation of section 21a-279, 53a-58, 53a-61, 53a-61a, 53a-62, 53a-63, 53a-96, 53a-175, 53a-176, 53a-178 or 53a-181d committed on or after October 1, 2013, (2) has been convicted as delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense, as defined in section 46b-120, (3) has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect pursuant to section 53a-13, (4) knows that such person is subject to (A) a restraining or protective order of a court of this state that has been issued against such person, after notice has been provided to such person, in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person, or (B) a foreign order of protection, as defined in section 46b-15a, that has been issued against such person in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person, (5) (A) has been confined on or after October 1, 2013, in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities, as defined in section 17a-495, within the preceding sixty months by order of a probate court, or with respect to any person who holds a valid permit or certificate that was issued or renewed under the provisions of section 29-28 or 29-36f in effect prior to October 1, 2013, such person has been confined in such hospital within the preceding twelve months, or (B) has been voluntarily admitted on or after October 1, 2013, to a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities, as defined in section 17a-495, within the preceding six months for care and treatment of a psychiatric disability and not solely for being an alcohol-dependent person or a drug-dependent person as those terms are defined in section 17a-680, (6) knows that such person is subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to subsection (d) of section 29-38c after notice and an opportunity to be heard has been provided to such person, or (7) is prohibited from shipping, transporting, possessing or receiving a firearm pursuant to 18 USC 922(g)(4). For the purposes of this section, “convicted” means having a judgment of conviction entered by a court of competent jurisdiction, “ammunition” means a loaded cartridge, consisting of a primed case, propellant or projectile, designed for use in any firearm, and a motor vehicle violation for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment of more than one year may be imposed shall be deemed an unclassified felony.

(b) Criminal possession of a firearm, ammunition or an electronic defense weapon is a class C felony, for which two years of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court, and five thousand dollars of the fine imposed may not be remitted or reduced by the court unless the court states on the record its reasons for remitting or reducing such fine.

Last edited:
There is no permit required to possess or transport a long gun in Connecticut. Note that without a permit you can not buy ammunition, magazines, or rifles in Connecticut. Unlike in the past, when a hunting license was a bypass to the 14 day wait on long guns, a hunting license is only relevant to hunting privileges currently.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "hunting rifle". If it is semi-automatic, it would be prudent to make sure that it is not an assault weapon.

It is important for anyone considering possessing a firearm in Connecticut to make sure that they are not a prohibited person under both federal and state law. One thing to note is that Connecticut's list of prohibiting convictions is much longer than the federal criteria. See 53a-217 for information on Connecticut prohibitions.

It is a lever action hunting rifle with an internal 5 round magazine.

I actually have the ammunition permit which I am upgrading to a pistol permit. After that last round of legislation with all of the permits, certificates, and registration issues made me wonder and I am not as up to speed on the laws in Connecticut. It has been impossible to wade through all of the laws and regulations and get a clear answer.

Thank you.

Bob

Bob,

It actually is a very easy question to answer.

You can do anything with your rifle that a resident with a Pistol Permit can do. In other words, whatever you want. As long as you don't transport it loaded.

Really that's the the only restriction; that it must be unloaded during transport. But that applies equally to residents and non-residents, with and without pistol permits.

Other than that, you are free to drive with your unloaded rifle across your lap if you would like.

Don

Last edited:
Bob,

you can do anything with your rifle that a resident with a Pistol Permit can do. In other words, whatever you want. As long as its not loaded.

Really the only restriction is taht it must be unloaded during transport.

Other than that, you are free to drive with your unloaded rifle across your lap if you would like.

Don

Thank you.

I will be more comfortable when I get my pistol permit. If their 4 month turn around was accurate I should get it the end of the month.

Bob

There's no need to worry.

No license is required to possess ANY firearms in CT. The cops know this. Its not at all like MA. Were you have to prove that you legally possess a firearm at every opportunity.

Although you do need a PP to carry or transport a handgun. There are several notable exceptions.

Chapter 529 - Division Of State Police

Thank you and thanks for the link.

My mind has been massa-fied. It is amazing how beaten down we have been and what we tolerate as our new normal. Very sad.

Bob

Agreed. I moved here from CT. And although many here think CT is just as bad, its not.

Not even close. Some key differences

1) pistol permit is effectively shall issue.
2) no restrictions on pistol permits.
3) No license reuqired to possess any firearms. which means that:
a. if you have your PP revoked, the cops don't come and take your guns
b. if your pp expires, all it means is you can't purchase or carry handguns.
c. if you are bequeathed a firearm, you can receive it without getting a PP
4) no approved handgun roster.
5) no restrictions on carry in colleges
6) cops are not supposed to ask for and you do not have to provide your PP unless they have reasonable articulable suspicion that you are committing or are about to commit a crime. Just checking to make sure you have a PP is not RAS.
7) Open carry is legal and hassle free. People have been OCing for about 10 years now. Cops know its legal. Many PDs have standing orders instructing their officers to leave OCers alone unless there is another reason to engage them.

I have no interest in open carrying. But what it means is that I can engage in what I call "casual carry". Which is carrying concealed with a noticeable bulge. In CT I will carry my G19 in an OWB retention holster with nothing more than a T shirt over it. Often the muzzle end of the slide is exposed. I get to carry a larger gun and I get to carry it in the most comfortable manner.

There's more, but you get my point.

Thank you.

I will be more comfortable when I get my pistol permit. If their 4 month turn around was accurate I should get it the end of the month.

Bob

I’m a resident who submitted my pistol permit app around the same time as you. You can call SPBI and they will verify if they are reviewing your prints yet. My understanding is it shouldn’t take the full 4 months.

I’m a resident who submitted my pistol permit app around the same time as you. You can call SPBI and they will verify if they are reviewing your prints yet. My understanding is it shouldn’t take the full 4 months.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will give them a call. I applied in person so I know ( I was told anyway) that it was complete and the course I took long ago was accepted.

The turnaround time for different states is crazy. My Florida permit took just under two weeks from the day I put it in the mail until it showed up on my doorstep with the expedited veteran processing.

Bob

I’m going to send in my FL permit paperwork as soon as I get my CT permit. I called the State Police on July 13 and they told me they were working on the prints from the week of April 14 so around 12-13 week backlog. As of September they were working on June prints so it appears the backlog has stayed the same. For a resident the results are emailed right back to the town. For a non resident I don’t know where they send the results but I can almost guarantee the background check has been completed and it is sitting on someone’s desk. So in actuality yes it may take 4 months because now your results have to be reviewed and then another department has to then print out your permit and then mail it out. Knowing how efficient (sarcastic) the State is I could see them taking 3 weeks to coordinate the permit issuance via different departments.

My FBI check was completed on July 8 and just waiting on the State check. The State checks their own records which causes a delay. I guess there could be stuff in the State records that never makes it to the FBI. It is frustrating. I have a clean record but there is nothing I can do but wait or file an appeal for a hearing in 6 months.

The thing to remember is that the non-res CT pistol permit process is simply an administrative process.

Be patient. It will run its course. If you submitted a complete application and you are not a prohibited person, you WILL receive a CT Pistol Permit (License to carry pistols and revolvers). There shouldn't be any hand wringing or worrying about if you will get it. You WILL receive it, and there won't be restrictions because CT doesn't do restrictions.

In some of the better towns, PPs are turned around in as little as 3 weeks simply because the licensing officer submits applications daily rather than batching them up once every 6 weeks. Most of the time when they are telling you of a huge backlog its a lie.

I used to be totally up on the process, but much of it is very automated. In other words the CT people batch everything up in a certain way and submit to the FBI and get an automated response.

One pro gun licensing officer once told me that he strictly obeys the statutory time limits. If he hasn't gotten anything back by the limit (I'm fuzzy on the limit, I beleive it changed in 2013, but it used to be 6 weeks) he runs his own background check issues the permit.

One thing he reminded me was that if You own a daycare and submit a background check to the police for a new employee, its turned around in a couple of days. There is no reason it should take any more than that.

I called the State Police. They are are processing fingerprint cards from July 5th now. I don't know how long it takes to process a card (1-2 weeks???)

Bob, they most likely have processed your fingerprints or they are close to finishing the processing. From there I think the SLFU would then to review and print the permit which could tack on a few weeks. So their 4 month estimate could be close to being accurate .. 14 weeks to process the prints and then another few weeks to review the results and print and mail the permit card. Good Luck!!

I think if you have a non resident permit you can still buy ammo in CT. Does your permit say non resident on it or does it look like a standard CT permit?

I called the State Police. They are are processing fingerprint cards from July 5th now. I don't know how long it takes to process a card (1-2 weeks???)

Bob, they most likely have processed your fingerprints or they are close to finishing the processing. From there I think the SLFU would then to review and print the permit which could tack on a few weeks. So their 4 month estimate could be close to being accurate .. 14 weeks to process the prints and then another few weeks to review the results and print and mail the permit card. Good Luck!!

I applied in person the end of June. The 28th ish or so. Not a peep since. No worries on my end about it. It will get her when it gets here.

My ammunition permit was going to expire and I wanted to upgrade as I spend a fair amount of time in Connecticut and I didn’t want any hassles flying out of Bradley.

As ridiculous as it is I have used the ammunition permit quite a bit.

Not to derail the thread, but can you buy ammo in CT with a Non-Resident Pistol Permit?

Yes, if you mean a CT Non-Resident permit. An out of state permit doesn’t cut it. I saw them turn away an out of state LEO. Flashing the badge didn’t help.

Bob

Yes, if you mean a CT Non-Resident permit. An out of state permit doesn’t cut it. I saw them turn away an out of state LEO. Flashing the badge didn’t help.
happygrumpycat.jpg

I applied in person the end of June. The 28th ish or so. Not a peep since. No worries on my end about it. It will get her when it gets here.

My ammunition permit was going to expire and I wanted to upgrade as I spend a fair amount of time in Connecticut and I didn’t want any hassles flying out of Bradley.

Speaking of Bradley I love that airport. So convienent and with non stop flights to LA, SF and Dublin you really can get anywhere in the world from there. That right now is probably the State of CTs best asset. I also recommend you get the TSA pre check next time you are there. It is in the baggage claim. Set up an appointment, 5 min interview / fingerprint submission and I got my approval in 3 days. Well worth the $85 if you fly even once a year.

As ridiculous as it is I have used the ammunition permit quite a bit.

Bob

Bob. Sorry for copying and pasting your reply. I was trying to make a comment back to you about Bradley airport and somehow my comment got included in your entire message.

Bob. Sorry for copying and pasting your reply. I was trying to make a comment back to you about Bradley airport and somehow my comment got included in your entire message.

No worries.

My brother flys a lot for work and he has the TSA precheck. He says it’s great and well worth the $$$. I probably fly once every two or three years now. When I flew last time I had them wheel me to the gate so I didn’t have to wait in line.

Bob

Last edited:
I'll break it down.

Remember though, there is a Fed requirement to file a 5320 when moving interstate with most NFA items. (I forget which ones, but I know you dont' need to do one for a silencer. I'm 100% sure you need one to move a MG, and can't remember if you need one for a SBR, SBS, AOW, or DD).

So CT restrictions:

1) Machine guns - no prohibitions, licensing or state requirements. Since all MGs are "pre-ban", its legal to possess them in CT.
Some of these pre-ban MGs are still considered AWs, so there are transport restrictions on them. All AWs must be locked in the trunk or a locked container.

In contrast, there are no transport restrictions on a MG that is not an AW.

Prior to the 2013 ban, many CT residents removed the semi-auto sears from their MGs. A firearm that is only full auto can not be an AW because the law started "A semiautomatic or select fire rifle".

So here's the bottom line. If you bring a MG into CT, keep it in a locked case when transporting and you will be fine.

2) AOWs, DDs, SBRs and SBS - There are no restrictions on them in CT. Other than the fact that they must comply with the AWB.

3) Silencers - no restrictions on silencers in CT.

Bob

Just got my permit today. That was 14 weeks and 4 days for a resident CT permit. You should get yours soon I would think.

I wasn't sure. So I just confirmed with Rob Pizzi. Owner of Central Ct Arms that a holder of a non-res CT pistol permit can buy ammo.

By the way. He's a great guy. With a great shop. If you are ever in the Middletown/Portland area.

Don

Back
Top Bottom