Rifle painting. Or: Saturday night at the Gonzo house.

Step one. Claim couter space from local 6 year old girl. The only girl in the world who calls you "daddy" but not in the way you wanted when you were 18 really wanted a girl to call you that.
047 (800x600).jpg

Two. Locate pregnant wife and tell her you have a really cool project for her while you replace the light at the top of the stairs. Give her acopy of this and translate all the military gun speak into wifey words. "Shoulder thingy that goes up" is exactly what they're looking for.
064 (800x600).jpg

three. Decide that if you're gonna be screwing up one rifle that you've invested more into than your last two cars combined, you might as well screw up your other expensive rifle. Enter the Savage.
060 (800x600).jpg

Three A. Get same pregnant wife (if you have more than one, DO NOT HAND A RIFLE TO EITHER OF THEM) to tape up savage while you are still destroying the upstairs hallway light.
069 (800x600).jpg

4. Leave the camera on the counter. Your deadbeat hippy little brother that lives in the basement will see the shiny expensive object that is designed for capturing a moment in time and memorializing it on the internets and take pictures of appropriate beauty that should be enshrined for all humanity from till the end of days.
056 (800x600).jpg053 (800x600).jpg052 (800x600).jpg051 (800x600).jpg

5. Take taped clean rifles out to your garage and use aircraft safety wire to hang said rifles off your 2-post car lift. Since we are using safety wire, you must immediately stab yourself someplace.
072 (800x600).jpg074 (800x600).jpg

Part the Sixth: Commence Painting.

Light to dark colors.077 (800x600).jpg079 (600x800).jpg081 (600x800).jpg

Get your local four year old boy to help. Pregnant wife will come out and laugh at you.
085 (800x600).jpg086 (600x800).jpg

Don't forget your mags. Paint them while they're in the rifle.
112 (600x800).jpg113 (800x600).jpg

Empties:
102 (800x600).jpg

Saftey/mechanic's wire: putting in the "tetanus" into "safety"...

I don't see any paint? Going pink? What no digital camo?

Lame... [laugh]

Ahh, I see I caught you mid ninja post...

Results

The idea here is effectiveness, not beauty or cool factor. I live in NH. We have foliage, dirt, and dead forest floors for 3 outta 4 seasons.

Here's foliage:
122 (800x600).jpg121 (800x600).jpg

Dirt: (and Dog)
123 (800x600).jpg124 (800x600).jpg

And forest floor:
125 (800x600).jpg126 (800x600).jpg

Looks like I gotta paint the bipod.

looks nice .will that paint hold up yo the heat?

No idea. I've heard mixed things about it on the innerwebs, but Elvis isn't dead either. I don't really care if it does or not. The key is to be breaking up the outline of the rifle. If it cooks off the barrel, it cooks off. No big deal.

Nice! I have always wanted to do one of mine, but I'm a puss.

No fear dude. Grab a 12 pack and some paint and some tape and a pregnant woman and a car lift and a runt of a black lab and a four year old boy and some safety wire and you're good to go. These are common household items. At least around here they are.

How did you prevent the glass on the eotech and scope from the paint? I don't see any tape on them...

How did you prevent the glass on the eotech and scope from the paint? I don't see any tape on them...

Painters tape over the eotech glass on the inside of the shroud, as well as the windage/elevation controls. The scope on the bolt gun already had Butler Creek flip-up covers both front and rear, so I just sprayed over those. With the bolt gun, since there was such a contrast between the painted parts and the unpainted parts after I removed the tape, I passed over it all quickly from about a foot away with the green to lose the hard edges and meke the black portions blend. It's enough to soften things, but no where near enough to block out the markings and adjustments for the operator of the rifle. Just a quick pass from far away and you're good to go.

No fear dude. Grab a 12 pack and some paint and some tape and a pregnant woman and a car lift and a runt of a black lab and a four year old boy and some safety wire and you're good to go. These are common household items. At least around here they are.

Tape-Check
Pregnant woman-check
Black Lab-i got chocolate so we will call that a check
Safety Wire-check
Four year old- Dam, anyone know where i can buy a 4 year old?

Back
Top Bottom