• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle hasn't been registered/used in 25+ years. Tricky situation.

Not true Ken.

Sorry to say that I was guilty of that mis-information based on a mis-understanding of what Bill Pickett had told me back in Feb. 1998. I recently was corrected on this after Jason had told me I was wrong . . . I again asked Bill Pickett (prior Dir of FRB) and posted correct info here somewhere. Most blue cards were indeed computerized, some were destroyed (estimates were 30K destroyed).

Since they openly acknowledge that their records are incomplete, the absence of a pre-'98 registration in their database is completely meaningless as a matter of law. My statement should have been "The FRB has no meaningful data from the old blue cards." (They might be able to show that someone legally possessed a particular gun at a particular time, but can't refute a claim that they sold it the next day, or that someone registered a gun on some date.) Also, based on my personal observations of the attempts to digitize information from the blue cards during the '90s (The EOPS office was one floor below my office at One Ashburton, and I occasionally went to lunch with some of their managers), I'd say that 30K is an gross underestimate.

Ken

Ken,

I agree on the following points:

- The database is useless . . . a waste of time and money.
- Blue background would likely make OCR damn near impossible. Typing info in from 1 million blue cards would likely result in lots of bad info, tremendously resource intensive to say the least.
- 30K is what Bill told me a few months ago and thus reported as such. Like you I think this sounds very low if due to a water leak/damage.

It's not a question of that there might be some incorrect information recorded in the new system during the transfer process, it's an indisputable fact that a huge amount of blue cards simply were not recorded at all. I myself saw literally hundreds of cards that were so badly encrusted with pigeon shit that no attempt was made to keep them or their information; they were simply discarded as a health hazard. All the defense would ever have to do would be to assert that the firearm was properly registered, and the absence of any record to that effect in the database is simply the result of the state's malfeasance in maintaining the original records.

Ken

I'll admit. I have not read all 4 pages, but just the OPs first post made my head spin.

you are WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY overthinking this. The state does not care about any of this. If you want the guns, bring them to NH and keep them there.

NH doesn't care. The ATF doesn't care. MA has no legal authority about what you do in NH.

I don't quite get if your uncle or father wants to keep the gun in MA. If they do, have them get a FID and be done with it.

Guns are not registered in MA. Guns are not linked to a person. People are linked to guns. Why is this important? Because its entirely plausible for a gun to be associated with multiple people. (Sale to a MA resident is registered, MA resident moves to NH, then sells the gun to a MA resident)

Seriously, this stuff is so so so far under the radar. While I can't vouch for MA people. I can definitely assure you that nobody in NH cares anything about this.

Comeon man. You moved to NH. Time to get the NH mindset.

Back
Top Bottom