Rifle for my lovely wife

peterk123

NES Member
Birthday present. Looking for a rifle that will take care of business for deer and elk, comfortable to shoot, and relatively light. Want glass that is light, quality and easy to use. No dialing. Set it and forget it. Shoot out to 300 yards max. I think this will work. Thoughts?

Savage model 11 lady hunter 6.5

th-536527566.jpg

Paired with this.

I had a Savage and did absolutely not like the action. Rough, and even after 1k rounds, it felt like it needed to br broken in. If I was you, I’d look closely at the Tikka T3x lite.
I can’t speak for or against the scope, but I have a Nightforce SHV 3-10 that does a tremendous job for only a thousand bucks.

For scope, inside if 300, I would look for illuminated reticle. Once you go illuminated you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Birthday present. Looking for a rifle that will take care of business for deer and elk, comfortable to shoot, and relatively light. Want glass that is light, quality and easy to use. No dialing. Set it and forget it. Shoot out to 300 yards max. I think this will work. Thoughts?

View attachment 690424

Paired with this.

I know several including at least one lady who are very happy with their Savage rifles. I've heard the 'rough action' comments before but Savage triggers and accuracy are excellent. I can see how a glass smooth action is helpful for a PRS stage etc. but for hunting you simply need reliable cycling in case of the need for a follow up shot.

I like the 6.5 choice as well as the scope. It would simply be un-American to be hunting out west with any glass other than Leupold. [smile]

View attachment 690424

Paired with this.

300 max and 6.5 is considered “acceptable” for elk, deer no problem. What about a mountain lite in 270? Pricy but good to out over 300, and in your neck of Paradise you know that 6x6 of a life time will show up around 400 yards for sure. I wish I had these problems lol.

Good reviews, can't beat the acu-trigger, the Creadmor was designed for low recoil, long distance, elk......good value. Nothing wrong with a Savage.

View attachment 690424

Paired with this.

Yes, indeed, that combo will get the job done if she does her part. Like that Monte Carlo stock! Good choice!

I know several including at least one lady who are very happy with their Savage rifles. I've heard the 'rough action' comments before but Savage triggers and accuracy are excellent. I can see how a glass smooth action is helpful for a PRS stage etc. but for hunting you simply need reliable cycling in case of the need for a follow up shot.

I like the 6.5 choice as well as the scope. It would simply be un-American to be hunting out west with any glass other than Leupold. [smile]
Well, the 6.5 is fitting for a wife, so well let that slide.

308 works for the ladies. Even 30-06.

270 if she’ll ever shoot at distance.

I have one in 30'06....super accurate with my 165 grain handloads.
The first shots that I fired from my Savage 110 was LC M193 ball. Standard military fodder. Nothing special about the ammo. The average group at 100 yards was +/- 1.5 inches. I routinely get 1/2 inch three round groups with my favorite handloads.

We have some range time with 6.5 creedmor at this point. I have to say, it is one hell of a nice round. It's quite accurate. Drop between 100 and 200 yards is around 1.5 inches. Most importantly, my wife loves it.

The trigger breaks like glass. And the action has improved with use.

This thing will be deadly out to 250 yards. If I can't get her within 200 yards or so of a deer or elk then I need to find a new pastime 🙂

We have some range time with 6.5 creedmor at this point. I have to say, it is one hell of a nice round. It's quite accurate. Drop between 100 and 200 yards is around 1.5 inches. Most importantly, my wife loves it.

The trigger breaks like glass. And the action has improved with use.

This thing will be deadly out to 250 yards. If I can't get her within 200 yards or so of a deer or elk then I need to find a new pastime 🙂
As gay as 6.5 manbun is.....its a nice round, with low recoil and good accuracy. I've shot factory Hornady Match out to 300 yards in my Ruger with a Magpul hunter stock and Vortex FFV scope, and gotten less than 2" groups. Not that bad for a less than 700 dollar rig.

Back
Top Bottom