• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Competitions with an AR-15 ?

On eyesight: if you have good enough vision to get a driver's license, you won't have any trouble shooting highpower.

It's a shooting competition, not a seeing competition. The target is a huge round bullseye; very easy to see. It gets progressively larger the further back you shoot, but it always looks the same size. I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but I think the black bull is about 6MOA in diameter.
Iron sights all the way to 600, too. Almost everybody who I tell about highpower all say the same thing "there's no way I could even see the target that far away". Believe me, you can see it. If you can see it, you can hit it.

If you have a flash suppressor, you are fine. Brakes may be allowed to fire, but probably down at one end of the range. If you come to Maine to shoot, let me know and you can use one of my rifles. I'd be surprised if the guys down in Reading and Nashua did not offer the same if asked by a new shooter.

about 6MOA . Is this 6" ?

What about a merit rear adjustable iron sight, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=merit+m-16/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=merit_m-16
Are these allowed?

or fiber optic front sight? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26412/Product/AR_15_M16_FIBER_OPTIC_FRONT_SIGHT

That fiber optic front sight would NOT help. For service rifle, you want a thin front sight post:
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/11466-...-kit-national-match-front-sight-armalite.html

And I don't think that they would be legal for CMP service file. The rulebook states:

Front and rear sights: Must be of U.S. Army design (either service or
match). Rear sight aperture openings must be round. Front sights must
have square-topped posts.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf

Last edited:
The full distance NRA & CMP High Power course of fire is shot at:

200 yards - 1 moa = ~ 2" The aiming black is 13" so ~ 6 moa

300 yards - 1 moa = ~ 3" The aiming black is 19" so ~ 6 moa

600 yards - 1 moa = ~ 6" The aiming black is 36" so ~ 6 moa

B

You should come out on a Sunday and watch. You'll learn a lot and if you're not too much of a spacecase someone will lend you gear and advice. That's how I got started.

Thanks. My range has a 25 yd distance. Is this the distance to zero my sight alignment?
Thanks, Mike

I'm new to this as well, but if I understand correctly the "moa" is an easy way to describe the relative size of the target regardless of distance. If 1 moa = 1" @ 100 yds, then at 25 yds it's 1/4". 6 moa @ 25 yds would be a target circle 1.5" in diameter. Can someone verify if this is correct?

You should come out on a Sunday and watch. You'll learn a lot and if you're not too much of a spacecase someone will lend you gear and advice. That's how I got started.

I have my own equipment, less mag pouches.
As for spacecase , maybe 35 years ago.
I have several NES friends that I shoot with at MRA. very good group. I fit in well.
Thanks, Mike

I have my own equipment, less mag pouches.
As for spacecase , maybe 35 years ago.
I have several NES friends that I shoot with at MRA. very good group. I fit in well.
Thanks, Mike

You don't need mag pouches for highpower. You do need a proper rifle and a spotting scope, and a mat, and a shooting coat. Most guys who have been shooting a while have spares and are happy to lend stuff. (Hell, I'm a noob and I pretty much have two of everything already.)

Any of you guys going to the Reading match on the 27th?
I'd like to come watch/participate.

RIFLE and RULES:
Any Match or Service rifle with iron sights. Current NRA
rules apply. No 55 or 62 grain .223 ammo may be fired at 600 yards at the
Reading Club.

This paragraph concerns me. Just want to make sure I can use my rifle for the match.

Mike

Last edited:
Any of you guys going to the Reading match on the 27th?
I'd like to come watch/participate.

RIFLE and RULES:
Any Match or Service rifle with iron sights. Current NRA
rules apply. No 55 or 62 grain .223 ammo may be fired at 600 yards at the
Reading Club.

This paragraph concerns me. Just want to make sure I can use my rifle for the match.

Mike

The match on the 27th is just 200 yard offhand if I'm not mistaken. You can shoot 55 grain at 200 (you may not ~want~ to but there's no rule against it.)

the 27th is the beginning of the club offhand championships (nothing formal, IIRC they use it to finalize rosters for EMRL). it's offhand at 200 yards, 20 shots / 20 minutes.

for ammo, regular old XM193 is capable of some VERY good scores @ 200. they dont allow 55/62gr ammo @ 600yards because it's simply too light a bullet to gaurantee you'll hit at least the target backer every shot (~ 5'x5' square). we cant afford to let a round get out of the range (and risk closure), and a bullet skipping off the ground could very well do that.

if you want to try it, shoot me a PM. i'll bring you a rifle to shoot (or, more specifically, my practice upper. it's got ~ 3200 rounds on it now, and i shot a 194x5 2 weekends ago with it). it'll put em where you point it.

the 27th is the beginning of the club offhand championships (nothing formal, IIRC they use it to finalize rosters for EMRL). it's offhand at 200 yards, 20 shots / 20 minutes.

for ammo, regular old XM193 is capable of some VERY good scores @ 200. they dint allow 55/62gr ammo @ 600yards because it's simply too light a bullet to guarantee you'll hit at least the target backer every shot (~ 5'x5' square). we cant afford to let a round get out of the range (and risk closure), and a bullet skipping off the ground could very well do that.

if you want to try it, shoot me a PM. I'll bring you a rifle to shoot (or, more specifically, my practice upper. it's got ~ 3200 rounds on it now, and i shot a 194x5 2 weekends ago with it). it'll put em where you point it.

Whats a good bullet weight for shooting high power with my AR?

I have a 1 in 9 twist . Can I use a 75 gr. bullet?

I would probably try the 69 grain Sierra Match King first. Real nice bullet and very versatile. That's what I shot across the course last year and they're more accurate than I am.

What rifle do you have? Is is it something other than a 20" A2 or A4?

69s will work fine at 600 yards. My first year of HP that is all they had for heavy bullets. Better option is the 75 Hornady or 77 Sierra. Both should work with a 1/9.

B

Thanks. My range has a 25 yd distance. Is this the distance to zero my sight alignment?
Thanks, Mike

358047add5e07e63c.jpg

We really need to know more about your rifle. Barrel length, sights, type of handguard, stock, trigger, etc.

Everything.

My Rifle = Bushmaster XM15 ES2 A3 type rifle -"Flat-top" upper receiver w/16" barrel & Removable carry handle. Sights=Rear/ A2 Dual aperture sight. Front/sight post.
Stock=Solid A2 . Factory trigger. 2 piece vented hand guard

Thanks.

I should have been more specific.
I want to know what distance do I zero my sight. With my rear sight turned to 6/3 and use proper sight alignment to adjust the front sight to hit the target.
Once complete then raise the rear to shoot out to incremented distance without adjusting the front sight.
I am probably not using the proper terms,but hope you understand what I am trying to accomplish.
Thanks, Mike

In HP you zero at the distance you are shooting. First pick what sight picture you are going to use. COM will make things easier at first.

Run the rear sight down all the way to the bottom, then run it up three or four clicks off bottom. Now zero the front sight. Once you establish your 200 yard zero with the front sight, leave it alone and make all the adjustments with the rear sight.

If you use the Sierra accuracy load with Varget & 69 Sierras, you will probably only get 2700 fps or less out of that 16 inch tube. You should still be comfortably supersonic at 600 yards though.

Zero so you are an inch low at 25 yards. That will put you right into the center of the 200 yard target if you do what you are supposed to do.

If you keep the sight picture the same, come up 3 minutes for 300 yards. For 600 come up another 14 minutes.

B

In HP you zero at the distance you are shooting. First pick what sight picture you are going to use. COM will make things easier at first.

Run the rear sight down all the way to the bottom, then run it up three or four clicks off bottom. Now zero the front sight. Once you establish your 200 yard zero with the front sight, leave it alone and make all the adjustments with the rear sight.

If you use the Sierra accuracy load with Varget & 69 Sierras, you will probably only get 2700 fps or less out of that 16 inch tube. You should still be comfortably supersonic at 600 yards though.

Zero so you are an inch low at 25 yards. That will put you right into the center of the 200 yard target if you do what you are supposed to do.

If you keep the sight picture the same, come up 3 minutes for 300 yards. For 600 come up another 14 minutes.

B

Thank you very much.

Just not sure what COM means. Not hip with the lingo [wink]

Last edited:
I believe it has been said earlier in this thresd but with all the questions you have you may want to come to a match to observe. There are a great many guys around that after the match wouldn't mind answering all the questions you will have.

Back
Top Bottom