• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rifle class

I've decided to invest in a good rifle class. I've done a bunch of great pistol classes over the years and now I've got the long range bug and realized I haven't taken a class with a rifle since I was 14 and did the hunter's safety class.

I'm looking for a good class on the basics. I really want to work on a good foundation before I start looking for that 1000 yard shot. Any good classes to be had? I plan on doing the Appleseed this spring with my daughters. They're all getting 10/22's for Christmas. I'm looking for someone who may have some nicer centerfire rifles for rent for class and some smaller class sizes. Can anyone recommend someone local? TIA

Sig's beginner class starts up end of March, and are really popular so sign up early. I've heard you shoot about 50 rounds, from AR, silenced 7.62 and one .50 sniper rifle round.

Low round count but perfect for a beginner. I'm gonna take it in March.

MFS has their upcoming 1hr military weapon class, sounds like fun.

The Sig Academy 3 day rifle course is also fantastic. They take you out to 300 yards over the course of 3 days. If you aren't familiar with long rifles, you might want to take a 1 day intro first. If you have ever hunted with a scoped rifle you know enough. You shoot their Blaser Tac2 rifles in .223, .308 or .300WM. 223 is cheapest and just fine for what they are teaching you. I highly recommend Sig Academy courses. They have great instructors and equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've decided to invest in a good rifle class. I've done a bunch of great pistol classes over the years and now I've got the long range bug and realized I haven't taken a class with a rifle since I was 14 and did the hunter's safety class.

I'm looking for a good class on the basics. I really want to work on a good foundation before I start looking for that 1000 yard shot. Any good classes to be had? I plan on doing the Appleseed this spring with my daughters. They're all getting 10/22's for Christmas. I'm looking for someone who may have some nicer centerfire rifles for rent for class and some smaller class sizes. Can anyone recommend someone local? TIA

Don't know where you are, but Nashua F&G puts on a very impressive clinic in the Spring. This is geared towards Highpower shooting, but those fundamentals will be beneficial in any rifle shooting.

For the money, just start with an Appleseed. You WILL learn the fundamentals.. positions, breath control, steady hold factors, trigger control, etc..

Appleseed is quality training, and is easy on the wallet.

Check out appleseedinfo.org or search for the multitude of Appleseed-related videos on Youtube and decide for yourself..

It's your coin.. but I have yet to meet an unhappy Appleseed customer.

Appleseeds are held in Pelham, NH, Jaffrey, NH, and Harvard MA and Leyden MA. They are generally weekend 8-hour day events. Admission for the weekend is under a hundred bucks.

For the Appleseed start looking for 22 ammo as you will expend 900 - 1200 rounds per student per weekend..
You will also need a reliable .22 rifle. See the Appleseed thread of the training forum for ideas on the Liberty Training rifle ..a fun (and easy) build..and you will need 4 magazines per rifle.. 1 1/4" sling swivels, and a military-type sling (all available at the appleseed online store) will round out the list.. (plus a shooting mat.. the blue sleeping pads found at Walmart in the camping section work just fine)

History has shown that the KISS principal applies at Appleseed.. the more fancy the gear, the higher probability Mr. Murphy will make your life difficult. And, Murpy ALWAYS attends appleseeds.

PM if you want more info.

best regards,
hbennett

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back guys. Appleseed is looking like the place to start with my 3 teenage daughters. If any of them show real interest I'll take them to 5 the Sig class. Otherwise I'll check out the Sig 3 day class. Hopefully I'll have a .308 of my own setup by then (if the IRS dosent help themselves to my return with all the new bs)

Thanks again for the replys.

Back
Top Bottom