• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rifle cases - need ideas

got a (large) pelican/storm for travel, complete with double rifle bag, but have always used the cheapo plastic plano cases for quick trips from home to local matches / range time.

trying to find something in between (protection AND weight) the two.

gunsmith made fun of me (all in good fun) when I went to pick up one of my target rifles in for a minor repair/tune up - "seriously, $6000 rifle in a $10 case!" - the point kind of hits home (he aint wrong, I just hate carrying around a gigantic 35-40lb case for a 15 second trip from house to truck and back.

Jeff, have you seen the ones the CMP sells? If not, go over to the store while you're out there and check them out. Airline approved, wheels, lockable. Rugged like the Pelican, but maybe not quite as heavy.

Plano makes a low cost (about $70) copy of the Pelican case. I use one for my 223 and love it. I am not a big fan of multiple rifle cases, they weigh too much when fully loaded. I prefer single cases for easier handling.

Plano makes a low cost (about $70) copy of the Pelican case. I use one for my 223 and love it. I am not a big fan of multiple rifle cases, they weigh too much when fully loaded. I prefer single cases for easier handling.

yep. thats the link i posted above

I also have a Pelican double rifle case with the wheels . It works great.
but for short trips to the range etc. I have a Boyt soft rifle case(Boyt harness Company they made cases for the military at one time,I think WWII era). They make top quality cases made from some type of canvas with soft thick fleece lining. They retail for over $50 and will last forever.

I use padded bags for my guns, not sure why you need a hardshell to protect steel and aluminum if we're talking about range use.

I use padded bags for my guns, not sure why you need a hardshell to protect steel and aluminum if we're talking about range use.

$6000 rifle, and sights that, if they get bumped too hard from line to line, can easily get knocked 2-3 TARGETS (6-10 feet) out of whack. I prefer to keep it in a hardsided case as it limits the possibility of that happening.

I looked at those, but they're still 20lbs empty

I suppose half my issue is that I need at LEAST a 48" case...although I suppose I could take the buttstock off for transport, but for whatever reason I don't like doing it.

Back
Top Bottom