• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle Case for airline checked luggage

Yes +1, though if legal you could probably just put a luggage tag on the SKS. [smile] (don't do that)

I like the plano tactical all weather cases, have a few of the older versions. I do not fly with them but seem up to it and lock internally or via padlock. Current version:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...j4JJCHknBgzbhk&cshid=1582574270844[/size][/i]
[/url]

I use them for any rifle by removing a layer of foam versus making cutouts, foam compresses around the rifle.. I can't imagine even storing all the custom cases I'd need, seems crazy.

TSA has the power to declare a stand-alone gun case (i.e., one not enclosed in a suitcase) insufficient. A lot of the Plano cases are sufficiently flexible that they can be opened by a moderate level of force without bypassing a padlock. Now, if you get your stuff to the airport and then are told you can't check your rifles, what are you going to do before the flight leaves?

Pelicans are always accepted, and, for that reason alone, are worth the cost. (They also reduce the risk of damage inflicted on your guns by baggage heavers.)

TSA has the power to declare a stand-alone gun case (i.e., one not enclosed in a suitcase) insufficient. A lot of the Plano cases are sufficiently flexible that they can be opened by a moderate level of force without bypassing a padlock. Now, if you get your stuff to the airport and then are told you can't check your rifles, what are you going to do before the flight leaves?

Pelicans are always accepted, and, for that reason alone, are worth the cost. (They also reduce the risk of damage inflicted on your guns by baggage heavers.)

That may be true but what I'm speaking of is not your typical plastic gun case. They are heavier, larger, watertight, locking latches, but still are not metal like pelican.

Now that I think about it they have a valve on them for flying too I believe, but not that it means TSA would accept them or not.

Last edited:
I can't say I've seen every Plano case ever made. I have seen quite a few though, and not a one comes close to the Pelicans. I'm not saying all Plano's would fail, only that who wants to run that risk when you have no way or time to cure the problem?

I haven't sent one through the TSA wringer yet, but the Harbor Freight Pelican knockoff is about half the price and well built. Find a 20% off coupon and it gets right around $120 or so. Have a look at one in the store and see if it will do what you want.

Edit:
I just got an email... 25% off any of their Apache cases. That would make the gun case $113.

Last edited:
if you have a scope, put tennis balls fore&aft of it in the case to protect your zero from the barbarians

I have Pelican, Boyt and Plano hard cases.

I have no doubt that the Plano double case would suffice for air travel.

And while it's nice, it's definitely a lower quality than my Pelican or Boyt cases.
My favorite case is the Boyt. And the one I always grab first.

That may be true but what I'm speaking of is not your typical plastic gun case. They are heavier, larger, watertight, locking latches, but still are not metal like pelican.

Now that I think about it they have a valve on them for flying too I believe, but not that it means TSA would accept them or not.
I can't say I've seen a metal pelican long gun case. I have a pelican case that I used when I went to Alaska, didn't have any issues.

I need to be able transport two rifles.....
hope you're not going anytime soon, this thread could run weeks. [laugh]

and new york wants access to the flight manifests so they can have the air marshall tap you on the shoulder if you're travelling with checked guns when you cross into ny airspace. [wink]

I second this. Those things are indestructible. I have 3 different sizes. They seal up great and easy to maneuver through airports. Downside is every shooter will know exactly what’s in your check on, even if you put guitar stickers on it I've bought a cheap one in the past, one of those cheap metal ones. It didn’t last

But the wheeled Pelican cases. You'll thank me after your first trip dragging them around. I own 3 of these below and I've flown a bunch using them.

There is no way in hell I'd carry a non-wheeled rifle case through airports. F that.

Pelican 1750
Amazon product ASIN B0014D85AYView: https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1750-Rifle-Case-Desert/dp/B0014D85AY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=56405074939&hvadid=410068620380&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9006662&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=2135668294333785516&hvtargid=kwd-299701199513&hydadcr=9849_11541522&keywords=pelican+1750+long+case&qid=1582600510&sr=8-3

Whatever you use be sure to have a TSA compliant lock for EACH hole that is capable of accepting one. Four holes equals four locks. The TSA is enforcing this. I have flown with rifles and shotguns a lot including 3 times in the past 12 months and seen this enforced more lately. I would also suggest a high quality case, the oversized luggage seems to take more than its share of rough handling.

Leave yourself a little extra time I have run into problems with the airlines and TSA not quite knowing how to handle checked firearms recently.

I don’t know if it helps but I put a bunch of fishing stickers on my gun cases. I had a Uber driver ask me what was in the big case and I said a guns and then we both laughed like that was absurd.

Whatever you use be sure to have a TSA compliant lock for EACH hole that is capable of accepting one. Four holes equals four locks. The TSA is enforcing this. I have flown with rifles and shotguns 3 times in the past 12 months and seen this enforced more lately.

Leave yourself a little extra time I have run into problems with the airlines and TSA not quite knowing how to handle checked firearms recently.

I don’t know if it helps but I put a bunch of fishing stickers on my gun cases. I had a Uber driver ask me what was in the big case and I said a guns and then we both laughed.
For the record you should NOT be using a TSA lock.

Regulations are only the owner should have access. TSA luggage locks are not to be used for firearms.
Never put a TSA lock on a gun case.

You are allowed to have any lock you want.

Get 4 pad locks that are keyed alike.

You will unlock and show clear at the desk and then lock them up until you get off the plane and are where you are going.

Nobody is allowed to go in once you lock them.

Only ever traveled with Pelicans on wheels. Easy secure and no questions asked. 4 of us wheeling cases thru multiple airports. Put some rock and roll and guitar stickers on the outside, nobody even blinks at it. Yes it’s worth the money.

For the record you should NOT be using a TSA lock.

Regulations are only the owner should have access. TSA luggage locks are not to be used for firearms.

I have done it both ways and have been paged in the airport to open the case with my personal non TSA locks for TSA. The Airline checks only to see the gun is unloaded. The TSA is interested in anything in that case. I guarantee you are going to have a TSA agent who wants you to open the case when they see the AK profile on the X-ray.
Like I said there has been a lot of inconsistencies lately flying with checked firearms.

I have done it both ways and have been paged in the airport to open the case with my personal non TSA locks for TSA. The Airline checks only to see the gun is unloaded. The TSA is interested in anything in that case. I guarantee you are going to have a TSA agent who wants you to open the case when they see the AK profile on the X-ray.
Like I said there has been a lot of inconsistencies lately flying with checked firearms.

That's ok. The issue is TSA can hire felons. You don't want felons with a keychain that can open your firearm.

I would not use a TSA lock. I have traveled with handguns in a locked case in my luggage before, and have my business card with cell number taped to the outside. I am a very frequent business traveler, so I know to leave plenty of time to let the TSA monkeys do their thing...

I once had one call me at Fort Lauderdale airport and ask for the combination to my lock so he could check that the pistol was unloaded. I happen to have a friend who works there and I happen to know that their X-Ray can discern that. I refused to give the combination over the phone and they made me go back out through security to open it and show it clear. Okay, no problem and I made my flight without missing a beat...

The problem with the TSA locks is those keys are everywhere, not just TSA agents have them. Even if we pretend for a moment that the TSA morons aren't the most likely thieves, any chucklehead with a computer can get TSA keys from wish, ebay, alibaba, or whatever, or any of those other chinesium sites that sell them. If your bag/hard case is a pain in the ass to get into it decreases the odds that someone is going to mess with it in transit. A TSA lock makes it a breeze for anyone to open.

FWIW even some of the airline regulations practically mandate that you don't use TSA locks for firearms because of this reason.

-Mike

The problem with the TSA locks is those keys are everywhere, not just TSA agents have them. Even if we pretend for a moment that the TSA morons aren't the most likely thieves, any chucklehead with a computer can get TSA keys from wish, ebay, alibaba, or whatever, or any of those other chinesium sites that sell them. If your bag/hard case is a pain in the ass to get into it decreases the odds that someone is going to mess with it in transit. A TSA lock makes it a breeze for anyone to open.

FWIW even some of the airline regulations practically mandate that you don't use TSA locks for firearms because of this reason.

-Mike
Heck, you can download a model of Thingaverse and print working TSA keys

Back
Top Bottom