• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ridgeline Precision Rifle Review July 2023

F2386

NES Member
Hey all, I've seen a couple Ridgeline reviews but not one on their Precision Rifle class. My buddy and I just completed the 2 day course so here's my overview for those who wanted some first hand experience.

About me - I'm a recreational shooter who gets out maybe once or twice a year. I'd love to do more but work and a young family means time is limited. I did not have a long range rifle prior to signing up for this class and the longest range I ever shot was 200 yards.

My equipment - I ran the course with the following: A Bergara B-14 BMP 24" with a KRG Bravo chassis, chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, full length ARCA rail plus an extended spigot, an Atlas BT65, a Vortex PST gen 2 5-25x50 MRAD FFP and Hornady 140gr ELD-M.

The class - This is a 16-hour course spanning two days.

The description from Ridgeline -

Precision Rifle is designed to provide the student with a systematic approach to precision rifle marksmanship, manipulations, and employment. Our curriculum is progressive in format, with each component skill laying the foundation for the next and creating a well-rounded precision rifle shooter.

Students will engage in multiple repetitions as they hone skills like properly zeroing and data collection, ballistic theory, wind theory, and decreasing engagement times. These skill learnings will be amplified by the ability to utilize not just paper targets but multiple steel target arrays and challenging drills provided by the cadre as students shoot out to 600 yards.

Subjects Covered :
-Equipment selection
-How to properly set up a precision rifle
-Fundamentals of rifle marksmanship
-The zeroing process
-An introduction to ballistic theory
-Data collection/Validation from 100-600 yards
-Wind theory and application
-How to develop a firing solution
-How to decrease engagement time

My experience - The facility is located in Dalton, NH so my friend and I rented an Airbnb in Lincoln which was about 35 minutes away. This got us close to class, which started at 9AM sharp, and gave us access to bars, restaurants and etc so we had something to do off-hours.

We arrived at the facility with with five minutes to spare. There are multiple shooting pits, multi-level shooting structures, barricades/vehicles, a 100 yard flat range, three longer distance ranges that go from 200 to 600 yards (they mark them A, B and C - C being known distances). We shot 50% from the 100 yard flat range and 50% from a "snipers nest" into the A/B/C ranges (see image below). Our instructors were Jay, who is a member here @Jay P, and Larry. Both of whom are way over qualified teaching a beginner's precision rifle class. Regardless, they're great guys who took the time to work with students who needed extra attention. Whether it was equipment related or skills related, it felt like Jay and Larry were always there to help us through issues and get us through the process.

The initial class started in an air-conditioned trailer right beside the parking lot. They're almost done with a much nicer permanent building where I assume classes will be held in the future. It felt like 90 minutes of PowerPoints on the listed subjects through the zeroing process. We finally hit the range and spent a good portion of time printing on paper getting a 100 yard zero. My patterns weren't great with only one grouping being sub MOA. Others in the class had much tighter groups. Before we broke for a 45 minute lunch, they chrono'd our rifles and we measured our bore over sight. Bring your lunch because the closest town was almost 15 mins away.

Class resumed with ballistic theory. They had us all download GeoBallistics onto our phones. We walked through the calculator and it eventually spat out our individual ballistic data. We had more classroom instruction on ballistics and the associated variables that affect us at long range.

We got back out onto the 100 yd flat range to reconfirm zero then we all hopped onto the sniper's nest to shoot steel targets at known ranges from 200 to 600 using our newly acquired ballistic data. Most, if not all, of us were able to confirm that our data was dead on accurate. We ended the first day doing some fun drills shooting down C range.

The second day started off in the classroom talking about wind theory and wind calling. We hit the flat range to confirm zero, we patterned our rifles again and we did some timed drills that started off easy and got harder and harder as they cut the par time down. By the end of some of the drills, no one was completing the tasks. An example of one of the drills - start standing at low ready with your bipod up and rear bag in hand, at the beep drop to your shooting position and accurately shoot one round then reload and shoot another round. By the end of the exercise we had to complete this in under 20 seconds, which sounds easy but was far from that.

We hit the sniper's nest again and started working on C range hitting known distances and talking about range estimation. After lunch, we talked more about range estimation, how to come up with a firing solution in a timely manner, shortcuts you can take and etc. The last part of the class involved a series of fun drills shooting unknown ranges A and B. We ended the class with a fun exercise where each student had to test their skills acquired over the last two days.

I don't want to ruin the surprise but the competition was timed and it required us to run into an unknown structure, set up into a shooting position, scan and identify targets, develop a firing solution and engage. The winner walks away with a prize they reserve only for instructors and the winner of each competition they hold at the end of every class. I don't remember my time but I won it by one second.

My overall impression and last thoughts - If you were thinking about doing this class, absolutely take it. You'll quickly develop the confidence to shoot out to long distances. 600 yards seemed long at first but by the end I would have loved the chance to shoot to 1200. This was time and money well spent and I'm definitely taking the next course.

Out of 12 students, 3 of us shot 6.5 CM, 1 shot 5.56mm, and the rest were 308 win. 10 were bolt rifles and 2 were AR pattern rifles. 6.5 CM excelled notably, especially at 600 yards and with slight wind. You'll learn about this but 308 win goes trans sonic around 800 yards so it seemed to be affected by wind and bullet drop more than 6.5 CM. Mine went trans sonic around 1200 yards. Most people ran MIL reticles over MOA. MIL is highly recommended.

The class had varying degrees of experience. Some students required a lot more attention than others. You'll need to be patient because you might wait a bit doing drills. If your class has a good rhythm then it will be more seamless. We did a lot of waiting unfortunately. I'll add that I'm not the best shooter and this is my first class. This experience wasn't intimidating at all and it's really meant for everyone.

We're outside in the prone position a lot. As a result, we baked in 80 to 85 degree sunny weather most of the time. Wear sunscreen and drink a ton of water. Wear a hat and pants.

Lastly, Ridgeline is a small but highly experienced group of instructors. They don't spend any resources marketing so they asked us to spread the word. They're great guys who we should support. Let's help them out if you can make the trip.

20230708_152642.jpg Resized_20220725_132510.jpeg

Nice review.
Nice rifle, I read good things about that Chassis and I am considering for a Tikka.
Also good scope, I have the same.

I will check this out.

Nice review.
Nice rifle, I read good things about that Chassis and I am considering for a Tikka.
Also good scope, I have the same.

I will check this out.
I heard awesome things about Tikka. I originally wanted one but I couldn't find any chambered in 6.5 cm readily available (circa 2 years ago when everything was hard to get) so I ended up with a Bergara.

My Bergara came with a precision chassis but it just felt too heavy and clunky for what I wanted out of it. I switched to the KRG Bravo chassis because it had a lot of options for attachments and it was overall lighter and more wieldy. The rifle is still heavy, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely easier carrying and running drills with.

This class isn't meant purely for distance shooting. The instructors pushed us to identify and engage as quick as we could. There's a lot of rifle manipulation drills and it felt like we were training for PRS competitions or taking down baddies in Afghanistan. Ridgeline's A/B/C range is significantly elevated so a 6-9" bipod will struggle to give you proper eye relief. A lot of guys were straining their necks and using wood under their bipods. I had a full length ARCA rail so I just pulled my bipod closer to elevate higher. Most guys could only run their bipods at the front of their gun.

I heard awesome things about Tikka. I originally wanted one but I couldn't find any chambered in 6.5 cm readily available (circa 2 years ago when everything was hard to get) so I ended up with a Bergara.

My Bergara came with a precision chassis but it just felt too heavy and clunky for what I wanted out of it. I switched to the KRG Bravo chassis because it had a lot of options for attachments and it was overall lighter and more wieldy. The rifle is still heavy, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely easier carrying and running drills with.

This class isn't meant purely for distance shooting. The instructors pushed us to identify and engage as quick as we could. There's a lot of rifle manipulation drills and it felt like we were training for PRS competitions or taking down baddies in Afghanistan. Ridgeline's A/B/C range is significantly elevated so a 6-9" bipod will struggle to give you proper eye relief. A lot of guys were straining their necks and using wood under their bipods. I had a full length ARCA rail so I just pulled my bipod closer to elevate higher. Most guys could only run their bipods at the front of their gun.
Interesting about the bipod, good to know.

Nice review! Thanks for the details. Those guys have built a darn impressive facility and are still improving it. The google earth imagery was updated October 2022 if anyone want to check it out. It is pretty conveniently located off of both exits 41 and 43 and everything I have heard or seen about their classes and instructors make it a must attend if this is your shooting forte.

Only comment is completely non germaine to your review.

Don't hesitate to stay north of Lincoln. Plenty of bars and restaurants north of the Notch and you won't have to worry about getting stuck behind that one guy who actually goes 45 through there. [banghead]

Hey all, I've seen a couple Ridgeline reviews but not one on their Precision Rifle class. My buddy and I just completed the 2 day course so here's my overview for those who wanted some first hand experience.

About me - I'm a recreational shooter who gets out maybe once or twice a year. I'd love to do more but work and a young family means time is limited. I did not have a long range rifle prior to signing up for this class and the longest range I ever shot was 200 yards.

My equipment - I ran the course with the following: A Bergara B-14 BMP 24" with a KRG Bravo chassis, chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, full length ARCA rail plus an extended spigot, an Atlas BT65, a Vortex PST gen 2 5-25x50 MRAD FFP and Hornady 140gr ELD-M.

Precision Rifle is designed to provide the student with a systematic approach to precision rifle marksmanship, manipulations, and employment. Our curriculum is progressive in format, with each component skill laying the foundation for the next and creating a well-rounded precision rifle shooter.

Students will engage in multiple repetitions as they hone skills like properly zeroing and data collection, ballistic theory, wind theory, and decreasing engagement times. These skill learnings will be amplified by the ability to utilize not just paper targets but multiple steel target arrays and challenging drills provided by the cadre as students shoot out to 600 yards.

Subjects Covered :
-Equipment selection
-The zeroing process

My experience - The facility is located in Dalton, NH so my friend and I rented an Airbnb in Lincoln which was about 35 minutes away. This got us close to class, which started at 9AM sharp, and gave us access to bars, restaurants and etc so we had something to do off-hours.

We arrived at the facility with with five minutes to spare. There are multiple shooting pits, multi-level shooting structures, barricades/vehicles, a 100 yard flat range, three longer distance ranges that go from 200 to 600 yards (they mark them A, B and C - C being known distances). We shot 50% from the 100 yard flat range and 50% from a "snipers nest" into the A/B/C ranges (see image below). Our instructors were Jay, who is a member here @Jay P, and Larry. Both of whom are way over qualified teaching a beginner's precision rifle class. Regardless, they're great guys who took the time to work with students who needed extra attention. Whether it was equipment related or skills related, it felt like Jay and Larry were always there to help us through issues and get us through the process.

The initial class started in an air-conditioned trailer right beside the parking lot. They're almost done with a much nicer permanent building where I assume classes will be held in the future. It felt like 90 minutes of PowerPoints on the listed subjects through the zeroing process. We finally hit the range and spent a good portion of time printing on paper getting a 100 yard zero. My patterns weren't great with only one grouping being sub MOA. Others in the class had much tighter groups. Before we broke for a 45 minute lunch, they chrono'd our rifles and we measured our bore over sight. Bring your lunch because the closest town was almost 15 mins away.

Class resumed with ballistic theory. They had us all download GeoBallistics onto our phones. We walked through the calculator and it eventually spat out our individual ballistic data. We had more classroom instruction on ballistics and the associated variables that affect us at long range.

We got back out onto the 100 yd flat range to reconfirm zero then we all hopped onto the sniper's nest to shoot steel targets at known ranges from 200 to 600 using our newly acquired ballistic data. Most, if not all, of us were able to confirm that our data was dead on accurate. We ended the first day doing some fun drills shooting down C range.

The second day started off in the classroom talking about wind theory and wind calling. We hit the flat range to confirm zero, we patterned our rifles again and we did some timed drills that started off easy and got harder and harder as they cut the par time down. By the end of some of the drills, no one was completing the tasks. An example of one of the drills - start standing at low ready with your bipod up and rear bag in hand, at the beep drop to your shooting position and accurately shoot one round then reload and shoot another round. By the end of the exercise we had to complete this in under 20 seconds, which sounds easy but was far from that.

We hit the sniper's nest again and started working on C range hitting known distances and talking about range estimation. After lunch, we talked more about range estimation, how to come up with a firing solution in a timely manner, shortcuts you can take and etc. The last part of the class involved a series of fun drills shooting unknown ranges A and B. We ended the class with a fun exercise where each student had to test their skills acquired over the last two days.

I don't want to ruin the surprise but the competition was timed and it required us to run into an unknown structure, set up into a shooting position, scan and identify targets, develop a firing solution and engage. The winner walks away with a prize they reserve only for instructors and the winner of each competition they hold at the end of every class. I don't remember my time but I won it by one second.

My overall impression and last thoughts - If you were thinking about doing this class, absolutely take it. You'll quickly develop the confidence to shoot out to long distances. 600 yards seemed long at first but by the end I would have loved the chance to shoot to 1200. This was time and money well spent and I'm definitely taking the next course.

Out of 12 students, 3 of us shot 6.5 CM, 1 shot 5.56mm, and the rest were 308 win. 10 were bolt rifles and 2 were AR pattern rifles. 6.5 CM excelled notably, especially at 600 yards and with slight wind. You'll learn about this but 308 win goes trans sonic around 800 yards so it seemed to be affected by wind and bullet drop more than 6.5 CM. Mine went trans sonic around 1200 yards. Most people ran MIL reticles over MOA. MIL is highly recommended.

The class had varying degrees of experience. Some students required a lot more attention than others. You'll need to be patient because you might wait a bit doing drills. If your class has a good rhythm then it will be more seamless. We did a lot of waiting unfortunately. I'll add that I'm not the best shooter and this is my first class. This experience wasn't intimidating at all and it's really meant for everyone.

We're outside in the prone position a lot. As a result, we baked in 80 to 85 degree sunny weather most of the time. Wear sunscreen and drink a ton of water. Wear a hat and pants.

Lastly, Ridgeline is a small but highly experienced group of instructors. They don't spend any resources marketing so they asked us to spread the word. They're great guys who we should support. Let's help them out if you can make the trip.

View attachment 773550View attachment 773554
Nice write up, how much 4 the class? Like u i can only shoot a fewtimes a year,hitting target at 2/300 yards kinnda fun.

Nice write up, how much 4 the class? Like u i can only shoot a fewtimes a year,hitting target at 2/300 yards kinnda fun.
The cost of the class is peanuts compared to the cost of actually being ready for it. The class is $575 but the gear and incidentals of taking the class probably got me around $4000. The rifle and optic was about $2000, the ammo was $800, associated gear was $800 then finally the cost of room and meals for a couple days. That's considered semi budget by a lot of standards too. Some guys spend $2k+ on an optic alone, $800 laser range finder, $800 Kestrel and etc.

If you don't have a precision-focused bolt action then you can absolutely run an AR15 with match ammo but I think you'd be doing yourself a disfavor. You'd be better off taking a DMR or scoped carbine course where they blend in some CQC stuff. You can also run a hunting rifle but expect thermal drift due to the thinner barrel profile. If you're on a serious budget then all you'd really need is whatever rifle you've got, a bipod, at least 10x mag optic, a rear bag and some ammo. Everything else is just nice to have.

How much ammo did you go through?
I brought two cases which is 400 rounds. You can expect to shoot 200 to 300 depending on how much time you spent testing zero and completing drills. For example, one drill was to hit center mass steel targets at 200, 250, 300 and so on until 600 yds. You could run it clean with 1st shot hits using 9 rounds total. Or you could have used 20+ rounds because you needed to re-engage at multiple 300+ yd targets. I personally shot about 200 rounds. I don't recommend bringing a rifle you've never shot or tested. Ideally you've at least zeroed it at some point. One guy brought a brand new gun he never shot and he definitely had some equipment issues that could have been avoided.

That photo looks like you guys are crammed together like sardines on the firing line, with muzzles a foot from each other's faces. How was the noise and concussion? It doesn't look very pleasant...
Plans are for an extended platform right there so your not so close. cantilevered off the left side. you do wind up a little smushed in there for now. the place is amazing, the instructors are amazing.

Subjects Covered :
-Equipment selection
-The zeroing process

View attachment 773550View attachment 773554
Excellent write-up, outstanding post! I was overseas for work since late week before last, so I'm super glad it popped up this morning or I might have missed.

Ridgeline is on my must do list and I had planned to attend this fall but will need to push to next spring. My skill set is probably somewhere between this class and the next one, but based on your write-up I think the first class would be worth the time and money.

What were the issues you were seeing with the AR's? Primarily accuracy? I have built a couple precision AR's in 6.5 CM and 6 ARC. Either will shoot no worse than .6 to .7 MOA assuming I don't muff the shot.

That photo looks like you guys are crammed together like sardines on the firing line, with muzzles a foot from each other's faces. How was the noise and concussion? It doesn't look very pleasant...
Great observation, yes there's 12 of us up there packed in on that nest. There's not even a foot of space in between some shooters. They had guys with muzzle breaks to the left and suppressed rifles to the far right up against the containers.

We're numbered shooter 1 to 12 for drills. I was shooter 1 the first day and shooter 3 the second. I didn't have anyone to my left at first so it wasn't too bad. But the second day I had a 6.5 cm gas gun to my left so I got a lung full smoke and hot brass down my back on every shot. Noise isn't really an issue because you get used to it after the first couple of rounds.

Honestly, it added a level of difficulty to the class that I kind of enjoyed and it goes along with the philosophy of the class. Jay went down the line calling shooters sequentially so you had to be ready. That means - check your PEW (parallax, elevation, windage), round chambered, press check, sight your target and wait for your call. When the guy to your left shoots it throws you off so you really have to focus to get an accurate shot down range. The added stress made it all that much more rewarding ringing steel at 600 yds. If you can hit targets under these conditions then you can definitely do it under most others.

This class pushed speed, timeliness and the ability to work under stress. Whether it's hunting, competition or shooting bad guys you're rarely afforded the time to take that perfect shot. You've gotta be able to come up with a firing solution and engage as quickly as your skills will allow.

What were the issues you were seeing with the AR's? Primarily accuracy? I have built a couple precision AR's in 6.5 CM and 6 ARC. Either will shoot no worse than .6 to .7 MOA assuming I don't muff the shot.
There were two AR15 patterned rifles. One was 556 and the other was 6.5. 556 at 600 yds means the shooter has to really work to get hits. 6.5 cm on the other hand did amazing. The guy I barely beat by a second was running a POF 20" bbl 6.5 cm. He would have won if he hadn't lazed for distance during the competiton. I pre lazed all the ranges so I had a good idea of the distances in my head. I think you'd do really well with a 6.5 cm gas gun in this class.

Edit - I think this was the 6.5 gas gun that was run

Last edited:
I ran through their scoped carbine class a couple years ago and the noise wasn’t bad.
Then again none of the guys had abrasive brakes so ymmv

Good to see another good write up, OP.
I’m headed up there in October and can’t wait.

There were two AR15 patterned rifles. One was 556 and the other was 6.5. 556 at 600 yds means the shooter has to really work to get hits. 6.5 cm on the other hand did amazing. The guy I barely beat by a second was running a POF 20" bbl 6.5 cm. He would have won if he hadn't lazed for distance during the competiton. I pre lazed all the ranges so I had a good idea of the distances in my head. I think you'd do really well with a 6.5 cm gas gun in this class.

Edit - I think this was the 6.5 gas gun that was run

Nice. That POF is very close to the 6.5 I built, even same Luth AR butt stock. Main difference is that I used a few JP components for mine. I might run the 6 ARC- it's pretty close in performance to the 6.5 with less recoil to fight when spotting your shot, plus cheaper to load.

Thanks very much for you review of Ridgeline- I'm even more stoked to go.

Not uncommon to get jammed in like that for a match. Learning to deal with the next shooter's blast is part of the game, though it usually doesn't take long to acclimate.

I ran through their scoped carbine class a couple years ago and the noise wasn’t bad.

What class are you taking?

Ill still never forget the guy in my class with a tavor with a break inside the shipping container

Back
Top Bottom