• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ridgeline or Sig Precision Rifle Training Course

FancyGunz

NES Member
I'm hoping for some NES input on precision rifle training courses with Ridgeline Shooting in Dalton, NH or Sig Sauer in Epping. I see limited info from a few years back scattered across NES, and was hoping someone could post their experiences. Or, if you know a better class, post below!

and

I'm hoping for some NES input on precision rifle training courses with Ridgeline Shooting in Dalton, NH or Sig Sauer in Epping. I see limited info from a few years back scattered across NES, and was hoping someone could post their experiences. Or, if you know a better class, post below!

and
Ask @Broc.

I heard a rumor that he might have gotten a 6.5 creedmore from my friend’s cousins roommates brothers sisters milf mom at 31 flavors last night

I haven't been to Sig but heard good things from people who have been.

I've been to Ridgeline and would definitely recommend.

I took Sig's PRS101 class last summer.
- It was 3 days long
- There were 10 students
- The instructors were two Special Forces snipers (one recently retired, one still in reserves) who were knowledgeable in the extreme.
- It was a "101" level class, so they started with the basics such as safety and rifle cleaning.
- They spent a few hours going over the basics of long distance shooting: Optics. Mil/MoA, ballistic coefficients, bullet drop math, etc.
- We learned how to shoot the "precision" way
- We spent a small amount of time on various seated, kneeling and standing positions, but 95% was prone
- We did some drills, including rapid fire on random steel targets at 300 yards
- We went slowly, progressing from 100 to 300 yards over the 3 days
- Most students had "PRS" rifles (bolt action & magazine fed). A few had AR-10 style. It was about 50/50 .308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor.
- You can borrow a rifle from Sig if you wish, they are always happy to get you familiar with their products (conveniently sold at the nearby Pro Shop!)
- Bring a shooting mat. They had some, but not enough.
- Bring a good shooting rear support bean-bag "sock".
- One thing which was a little annoying is that their long distance range is sort of wedged in diagonally on their property. It gets a little awkward at longer distances.

I quite enjoyed it and have signed up for the PRS-102 (2 days) and PRS-103 (1 day) courses this summer. Unfortunately I have been unable to get them in that order.

The question may be moot. All of Sig's PRS scheduled classes are booked and new ones fill in less than a day. Not sure why they have not added a bunch more sessions.

I have never been to Ridgeline, but have heard nothing but good things about them. They have enough space that the long distance needed would not be such an issue.

Hope that helps!

Here are a couple of reviews, discussions, about Ridgeline.

Sig Academy is kinda like Four Seasons. You get your money’s worth and always leave satisfied, but eventually you learn there’s better options and will want to talk shit about it.
So what are those better options around here? Just Ridgeline or are there others?

I've been to neither, so my opinion is worthless. I'll still make a worthless post to hear myself type though. 🙃

You would be happy with either, but likely better off with the smaller shop of Ridgeline. Lots of great reviews here and elsewhere. Also in a much better part of the state than northern Mass.

Reston Group (Jared Reston) /Ridgeline (Alex Hartmann) – LE DM/SPR

Aurora Sportsman’s Club Oct 8-9 2020

What is the course?

Jared and Alex said many times over the 2 days that it is not a “sniper-lite” course; it’s about fighting 0-600y. This means using the gun effectively for CQB work as well as being efficient and effective at distance without reliance on ballistic charts, solvers, kestrels, and range finders. This also means remember the context of “fighting” as in considering the dynamics of engaging “meat” that is living, breathing, moving, and capable of fighting back.

Why Take the course?

There’s lots of precision rifle courses, sniper courses, carbine courses to choose from. As someone who has been into precision and scoped carbines for nearly 20 years and taken several of the aforementioned classes, a realistic DMR/SPR course is hard to find. I guess that makes sense given that the DMR/SPR is itself is a highly delicate balance of opposing concepts. Having heard some of Alex’s thoughts on scoped AR’s on a Primary & Secondary podcast (Precision Basics #153 if you haven’t heard it), I was confident the philosophy would be practical and contemporary. I’ve also heard other LE and his peers in the instructor world speak highly of Jared as well.

If you’re someone wondering exactly how to get more out of that carbine with a 1-6x, 1-8x, 1-10x then this is a good start.

What should I expect? (General itinerary)

TD1:
Pretty much consider this setup and data gathering. Zero confirmation, basic position/fundamental review, known distance data confirmation 100-600y. TD1 culminated with “hasty milling to engage unknown distance targets without a range finder or milling formulas that require a calculator.

TD2: Began with the CQB portion taught by Jared and moved into positional shooting. The second have of TD2 was dedicated to wind.
(Sorry, I don't like giving the play-by-play and nuts and bolts of what's taught in the class)

Advice for those taking the class

While the course can be done with standard bulk FMJ ammo, I definitely feel that using higher quality/match ammo made things easier. However, I would say bring some cheaper range ammo (200 rounds) for the CQB portion.

Don’t be afraid to bring your duty carbine. In our course, the guy shooting his 11.5” Colt did just fine. Some portions might be challenging for a heavy, cumbersome precision rig. Be sure your gun can run; one student’s 6.5 Grendel did not like the cadence of the CQB portion. A lot of immediate action and it was in taken apart on the line at one point.

In terms of optics (and this facility’s 600y max range), the ability to use both dialing and holding was beneficial for the course but not necessary. Fixed power or optics 4x and under, BDC reticles without wind holds will present some challenges. Offset RDS regardless of available 1x magnification is also beneficial.

Having some data on your gun and/or familiarity with a ballistic solver app is good to have prior to the course but not mandatory.

Also, don’t leave your Hodge laying around or Jared might knock it over or Alex might suggest rattle canning it gold.

6 Month look-back

I’ve since taught a few people the expedient “hasty milling” techniques for UKD elevation and wind shooting solutions. A few times I had to look back at my notes and refresh myself on the math of the UKD wind calls. So, take good notes AND have them where you can reference them.

I made a few minor kit modifications to include a monopod adapter to keep my rear bag away from my adjustment lever. I also added a wrap to my handguard for support use on barriers (doesn’t hurt to have in the winter months either). I also adjusted my sling setup and run the forward attachment point farther up the rail.

In the class, I was shooting a Hodge Defense Au Mod 1 with a Schmidt & Bender 1-8x24 Dual CC and a piggy-back RMR. Even with all the benefits of the uber-expensive LPVO, I’ve come to appreciate the piggy-back red dot more. And with that, I decided to give another look to a higher power optic (Alex ran a 4-16x ATACR; Jared had a Mk5HD 3.6-18) and picked up a Nightforce 4-16x42 with Mil-XT; great optic by the way. But in the end, I went back to my original 1-8x setup. First, I liked the balance and profile a little better with the smaller optic. And while the bigger optic allowed me to see more, the fixed parallax and less-refined reticle of my LPVO aren’t necessarily bad in this context. I also toyed with different offset RDS mounts and positions. Like the optics, there’s too many factors to list and ultimately optic and mount is personal preference.

I also see now that there is a “Varsity SPR” in Florida in 2021 as a supplement to this course. I will definitely be keeping an eye on that.

If you need 'local' tips for around Dalton, there are several of us that are familiar with that area.

and
from what i`ve heard - ridgeline is more aimed at the per-person instruction than a sig. latter is more generic and mass oriented, but, i would think, both are provided by professionals that will be able to give you specific instructions on how to improve your specific shortcomings.
it is only probably going to be a difference of how much generic BS they will put into a program to dilute it with explanations of what is a bullet, what is a brass, why one shall not look into a barrel while stepping on a trigger, etc. from what i also heard - ridgeline has a bit less of it, but, it is unavoidable.

from what i`ve heard - ridgeline is more aimed at the per-person instruction than a sig. latter is more generic and mass oriented, but, i would think, both are provided by professionals that will be able to give you specific instructions on how to improve your specific shortcomings.
it is only probably going to be a difference of how much generic BS they will put into a program to dilute it with explanations of what is a bullet, what is a brass, why one shall not look into a barrel while stepping on a trigger, etc. from what i also heard - ridgeline has a bit less of it, but, it is unavoidable.
You’re falsely assuming the curriculum of all training schools is the same.

I always use the example of Sig teaching “looking guns into your holster.” Still waiting for someone to explain how that works in the dark.

If you’ve had solid experience shooting your rifle 100yd+, SIG PSR101 will help you hone your skills over a slow and meticulous progression out to 300yd. If you’ve got your scope mounted well and understand your MRAD or MILDOT optic well, SIG will spend your time on topics you don’t need. But if you haven’t shot over 100yd it’s a gentle but solid course.

I was at Ridgeline for another course when they did their Precision Rifle course and it clipped along much more quickly. More like a 102 course.

Either place, don’t be “that guy” with a poorly mounted scope on a new 300WINMAG with a brake. You don’t need a can but don’t blast your fellow students on the line with a potent round and a brake, unless you mount a blast shield too.

If you’ve had solid experience shooting your rifle 100yd+, SIG PSR101 will help you hone your skills over a slow and meticulous progression out to 300yd. If you’ve got your scope mounted well and understand your MRAD or MILDOT optic well, SIG will spend your time on topics you don’t need. But if you haven’t shot over 100yd it’s a gentle but solid course.

I was at Ridgeline for another course when they did their Precision Rifle course and it clipped along much more quickly. More like a 102 course.

Either place, don’t be “that guy” with a poorly mounted scope on a new 300WINMAG with a brake. You don’t need a can but don’t blast your fellow students on the line with a potent round and a brake, unless you mount a blast shield too.
Sucks, but those of us from MA have limits. My AR10 .308 has a PWS brake that is loud as f. It’s pinned/welded cuz MA and no can cuz MA so looks like some folks better have good hearing protection…

Second thing I’m doing after moving to NH is getting a can and having a smith de-massify every thing. If you’re asking what the first thing is going to be, that’s easy: buying a new glock with high capacity mags at normal non-MA prices.

I wonder if the have courses at Ridgeline this weekend? They're about 8 miles Northwest of my weekend residence. I let the dogs out to pee last night and it was -21° and pretty windy. It's -2° right now. I'm too old to be laying prone in this shit.

A friend of mine took the course @Ridgeline. Two days, they shoot rain or shine. First day classroom, followed by zeroing of rifles, followed by 100yd drills. Second day they worked on mill cards and shooting steel 200 to 600yd. Apparently, once you work out the mill card for the rifle/ammo combo, it becomes super simple to do distances. I am definitely taking that course!
For the course, I am looking to buy a rifle in the that's more gay than 6.5 Creedmoor. The magnum gay, literally: the 6.5 PRC!

Sucks, but those of us from MA have limits. My AR10 .308 has a PWS brake that is loud as f. It’s pinned/welded cuz MA and no can cuz MA so looks like some folks better have good hearing protection…

Second thing I’m doing after moving to NH is getting a can and having a smith de-massify every thing. If you’re asking what the first thing is going to be, that’s easy: buying a new glock with high capacity mags at normal non-MA prices.
Its still fine to go with a brake, you'll just get some jokes, they do understand.

Gunlogic: Moving to NH to buy a Glock $100 cheaper.

i think people are having their evil fun when they see a rifle with a pinned brake and start demanding to take it off as it blows into their precious snouts. :)

In any case your rifle should be squared away before taking a course. 300wm for a beginner wouldn't be my pick because of recoil mitigation to spot trace and splash but it can work. Can vs brake is a tossup. Brake is going to reduce recoil better and make your corrections for follow up shots easier but can keeps people happier if you are shooting prone all next to eachother.

I would recommend Alex and Rudy at Ridgeline. Both are very well squared away shooters and everyone I know that has been through their courses has been happy.

Ridgeline is great. In 2019 I singed up for their 2 day precision class. It was supposed to be and one other guy. However, the other guy had to cancel. So I "won the lottery" - two days on 1 on 1 instruction in long range rifle with Rudy.
Sig is OK. Logistically it's closer to me. However, their class experience, especially at advanced levels can vary. They don't enforce minimum requirements. I took their 1-day Precision rifle skill builder. This was advertised as "advanced/intermediate". One guy said that he was new. So the instructors wasted first 3 hours in the classroom talking about basics...

Back
Top Bottom