• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ridgeline 2023

Hello Northeast Shooters,
Thanks to our amazing customers, Ridgeline Training Center in Dalton, NH had an amazing 2022, but 2023 is shaping up to be even better!

Last year, our new open enrollment courses like 5 day SPR and Mountain Riflemen were huge hits. Our expanded LE curriculum was also a success, not only home, but at TTPOA, CT SWAT, and the numerous mobile trainings that we conducted. We taught designated marksman, sniper, breaching, red dot pistol, and many more.

Ridgeline added the following to the facility last year:
-Moving targets
-Raised firing platform for mountain rifle course
-Real world prop line
-5 story sniper tower/Sims shoot house
-Urban street-style training area
-Explosive Breaching Facade

Our new classroom and pro shop will be ready for the start of spring classes. We will have 5 moving target systems with facades operational and are adding a ton more steel downrange. We have added some new talent to our instructor staff like Matt and Dan, and Blake came on full-time to spearhead the expansion of Ridgeline Outfitters. We rolled out new products including our "DROP" dropped offset pouch adapter and our precision rifle sling, the "HogLeash". We have also partnered with a major ammunition distributor to offer our students the opportunity to purchase the ammo you need for your classes and have it waiting for you.

In addition to our full progression of 12 pistol, carbine, and precision rifle courses, here are some upcoming event highlights for 2023:

-Bash Bros Bash: Alex Hartmann/Jared Reston/Dan Brokos - Sept 8-10
-5 day Full Spectrum Precision Rifle - Sept 27- Oct1
-5 Day Full Spectrum SPR/Scoped carbine - August 7-11
-Advanced Night Operator - Nov 3-4(SOLD OUT)
-Aerial Platform Shooting - August 19-20

We are hosting the Tactical Games and the Hero Down competition again, and we will be teaching at OTOA, TTPOA, and CT SWAT Challenge.

Book your next classes before they fill as numerous courses are already sold out or only have 1 or 2 seats left! (We limited all classes to 12 students to maximize the experience, trigger time, and coaching.)

Ridgeline Training

Combative Pistol - April 15-16(SOLD OUT), Sept 23-24
Advanced Combative Pistol - June 10-11, Oct 28-29
Low-Vis Pistol - July 22-23
Combative Carbine - Apr 22-23 (SOLD OUT), July 15-16 (SOLD OUT)
Close Quarters Carbine - May 20-21 (SOLD OUT), July 29-30, Oct 14-15
Recce Carbine - April 1-2 (SOLD OUT), Oct 7-8 (SOLD OUT)
Scoped Carbine - Feb 4-5 (Blakely, GA 1 (SOLD OUT) & Eagle Lake, TX), May 6-7(SOLD OUT), Sept 16-17 (SOLD OUT)
Night Operator - Apr 28-29
Precision Rifle Fundamentals - Mar 25-26 (SOLD OUT), April 1-2 (SOLD OUT), July 7-8 (SOLD OUT), Oct 21-22
Advance Precision Rifle - June 3-4, Aug 26-27, Dec 2-3
Mountain Rifleman - Aug 12-13

As always, feel free to ask me any questions in this thread or shoot me a message.

Thanks for your support!

Jay Pedro
Director of Training
[email protected]
Ridgeline Defense
Instagram

Ridgeline Training
Follow us Instagram: ridgeline_defense

Last edited:
interested in the class. what time do the class usually start? is the combative pistol class for beginners?
Classes normally start at 0900. As long as you can safely handle, draw, holster, and load your handgun, you should be fine. We refine all that stuff and cover everything else in depth. Hope to see you in class! (The 9/23-24 class is the only combative pistol that is not sold out)

I completed Low Vis with Ridgeline and couldn't be happier with the class, instructors and groups of guys I shot with.

Our class, I believe had somewhere around 12 guys in it. Each stage built upon the prior and downtime was limited to lunch and a few short breaks. Which I appreciated bc we got a lot of time behind the trigger.

Great class Jay - thanks again and I'm looking forward to coming back for another class with you guys.

Question, what makes a subcompact not ideal for the combative pistol class? Is the class geared more towards duty/open carry vs CCW, magazine capacity, etc?

Question, what makes a subcompact not ideal for the combative pistol class? Is the class geared more towards duty/open carry vs CCW, magazine capacity, etc?
- capacity, you will need more mags, more reloads and it throws off the cadence of running drills with others.
- shorter barrel might not create enough velocity to knock down steel.
- caliber, same as above if using something like a 380.
- commonality and availability or holsters, mounts, mag carriers etc.
- sight radius is shorter.
- doesn’t allow as good of grip on the the gun making it need more hand adjustments and more prone to slipping or dropping.

They are there to teach you AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO PAID HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO TAKE THE CLASS.
If they have to deal with one individual who shows up with crap gear and is unprepared it slows everything down. What defines crap gear or being unprepared is somewhat subjective to the class and experience level.

- capacity, you will need more mags, more reloads and it throws off the cadence of running drills with others.
- doesn’t allow as good of grip on the the gun making it need more hand adjustments and more prone to slipping or dropping.

They are there to teach you AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO PAID HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO TAKE THE CLASS.
If they have to deal with one individual who shows up with crap gear and is unprepared it slows everything down. What defines crap gear or being unprepared is somewhat subjective to the class and experience level.
I took the class with 10 round mags and dont feel I slowed anyone else down. I just got a lot more reloading training and had no chance at winning.

But it was still a full sized handgun

While that’s all true, you’d be doing yourself a disservice by training with a Glock 17, e.g, if you normally carry a G26. And not sure how this would affect other students.

To Ridgeline’s credit, they recommend something other than a subcompact for the course.

Personally I would email them, and would start off with the sub and move to a compact/fullsize if I found it wasn’t getting the job done or I was somehow holding up the class.

It’s a “combative” class, just my opinion which isn’t worth crap but that’s different than a “concealed” style class.

Ultimately shoot whatever you want. If you can rock a small carry gun and be fast and accurate then more power to you.

capacity - I get that I would need more mags, but I'm from MA, so no matter what I bring it is going to be with 10rnd mags. in regards to throwing off the cadence of running drills with others. Yea, I call BS on that. Whoever is running the drills dictates the cadence. If they want to call a cease-fire they can.
Barrel velocity - sure I get that
caliber - sure
commonality/available acc - Do we swap pistols on the line? Am I missing something? If I show up with a firearm, with working equipment, based on the requirements of the class. What does it matter if there is only one manufacturer of holsters for my pistol?
sight radius - I get that as well.
size - actually I would argue I have a much better grip on a p365 than on most larger pistols. I have smaller hands. In regards to slipping, dropping, sure frame size plays a part, but the grip texture does as well. Which with my smaller hands, and a poorly textured full size, I am more likely to slip or drop.

Some of your arguments don't really paint a picture as to why a subcompact isn't recommended for the class. Especially, when you say someone showing up with crap gear and unprepared. I didn't say I was going to show up with a Hi-point C-9 and if I really need magazine carriers. I would argue both a Sig p365 or a Glock 43x are both quality firearms. I'm still not sold on the idea either of them would be a poor choice that would affect any of the other students on the line in the least.

Thanks for your reply. I can see how a subcompact would make it more difficult for me to do well, but that's one of the reasons I would like to get more training. I can shoot better with a rifle than I can with a pistol by far, but it's not practical. I have a subcompact on me the vast majority of the time and want to train with what I carry. I'll send out an email to Ridgeline, but even their Low Vis Pistol course doesn't recommend Subcompact and that seems to be catered more to concealed.

@nightpoison

I’m not calling you out specifically in regards to your specific handgun or you gear. I’m just talking in general based on what I’ve seen first hand.

The 365 is a good gun, I own two of them myself. 10 round magazines are typically fine to use but so many other subcompact guns don’t have a 10 round mag. Some have 6, 7 or maybe 8 rounds. So yes, you absolutely can throw off drills the instructor is trying to teach if there are specific round counts and reloads thrown in.
A lot of classes have in the description how many magazines you will need for the class and a capacity for that reason.

Crap gear- again I’m not talking about you, just generalizing.
I’ve been in low light classes where people show up with a keychain flashlight they bought at Home Depot. I’ve seen numerous people show up with light on their handguns and rifles that have dead batteries and didn’t bring spares and don’t even know how to change them. Ive seen one guy show up without an optic and he was clamping it on while at a safe table. I’ve seen holsters and mag carriers with such little retention that the magazines and even a gun once fell to the ground. Magazines that people admit don’t feed properly prior to class and induce malfunctions.

These are things I mean, cheap, crap gear or gear that hasn’t ever been used, looked at or tested. This is all stuff that should be done at home and it’s not the time to set them up during class time.
Class time should be used to push and test your gear harder and make tweaks and adjustments if needed or think of better options based on what you find out about your situation.

Back
Top Bottom