• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RIDDLE ME THIS...CAN I CONCEAL CARRY?

Is it a FEDERAL (V.A.?) Hospital?

is it a "teaching hospital"? ( grey area now we are getting into what constitutes a school)

is it private property and posted? ( signs do not carry the force of law, but as a visitor you can be asked to leave and served a no trespass order )

Federal hospital is the only one here that is an issue. Signs have no force of law, and there is no grey area for teaching hospitals, you can carry in a teaching hospital and ignore those signs. You can't enter the medical school itself as it is a school, but that is not something you will do accidentally. Tufts has the dental school but as far as I can remember it was not a thing you would just blunder into from another part of the hospital trying to go somewhere else.

For some value of "restriction".

But hey, here's the last big NES thread on them:

Thanks. I go maybe once a year for a day trip and it’s just not worth the headache, plus there’s usually a fair amount of drinking involved that day. Sometimes there are bomb sniffing dogs working the lines and while they’re probably not gonna sniff a gun, I don’t feel like walking all the way back to the car to stow the gun if they do.

Sometimes there are bomb sniffing dogs working the lines and while they’re probably not gonna sniff a gun, I don’t feel like walking all the way back to the car to stow the gun if they do.
Yahbut at least you'd get the pleasure of asking the handler how come the dog
didn't alert at all the cops/security guards that are OC'ing.

Thanks for a ton of imput. The hospital i was thinking of wasn't a VA. I was just curious of hospitals in general. I happened to be in the ER waiting for someone is the only reason i ask. I try to make it a point to always carry and wouldn't think of leaving my gun in the car when banking or going into post office or whatever. I just don't show the clerk my gun.
As far as boating goes i was "told" that you couldn't conceal carry on a boat. The first thing the CG is supposed to ask you is are there any firearms on board and last season i just said no. (I hate the idea of some rookie taking possession of my gun and shooting me in the guts). More importantly i would never let the police into my vehicle without a warrant and the harbormaster here IS part of the police so i can say do you have a warrant to them. The constitution doesnt say anything about the CG being above the constitution.
Last season a drunk fell off of a big azz boat in the harbor and i luckily hit him with the throw cushion and fished his purple puking face onto my boat. The HM came out and took him to meet the ambulance. A occifer came down the boat ramp demanding my license and registration. I went into the what crime have i committed that you can articulate and where is your supervisor. His super came a told me to have a nice day and when i was putting my boat on the trailer the first cop showed up and apologized.
We have to make sure law enforcement upholds the constitution they have sworn to protect. Dont let your rights be trampled on.

In Alaska guns on fishing boats are standard equipment. When I go fishing for halibut with my son on his boat with him we take a shotgun. A BIG 'but will come to the surface with 18 inches of leader and a half pound of lead hooked to it. They have to be subdued with bird shot. Jack.

Thanks for a ton of imput. The hospital i was thinking of wasn't a VA. I was just curious of hospitals in general. I happened to be in the ER waiting for someone is the only reason i ask. I try to make it a point to always carry and wouldn't think of leaving my gun in the car when banking or going into post office or whatever. I just don't show the clerk my gun.
As far as boating goes i was "told" that you couldn't conceal carry on a boat. The first thing the CG is supposed to ask you is are there any firearms on board and last season i just said no. (I hate the idea of some rookie taking possession of my gun and shooting me in the guts). More importantly i would never let the police into my vehicle without a warrant and the harbormaster here IS part of the police so i can say do you have a warrant to them. The constitution doesnt say anything about the CG being above the constitution.
Last season a drunk fell off of a big azz boat in the harbor and i luckily hit him with the throw cushion and fished his purple puking face onto my boat. The HM came out and took him to meet the ambulance. A occifer came down the boat ramp demanding my license and registration. I went into the what crime have i committed that you can articulate and where is your supervisor. His super came a told me to have a nice day and when i was putting my boat on the trailer the first cop showed up and apologized.
We have to make sure law enforcement upholds the constitution they have sworn to protect. Dont let your rights be trampled on.
The CG can board your boat any time for any reason or no reason.

It’s useless to ask them if they have a warrant or what crime they suspect you of.

I only say this because it’s true and not worth standing up against and getting my ass kicked.

ETA: ...kicked by the CG. With police, sheriffs and fish cops it’s a slightly different story but not much. In most states these entities can board you to check for overboard discharge and/or to check your safety equipment.

I hope that concealed carry on a boat is not illegal; I do it all the time. A few years ago I was boating on the CT River (by myself) just below the shallows, anchored in knee deep water just off shore running a little RC boat around. Then a group of teenage kids show up (Holyoke side of the river) they were threatening and aggressive. Fortunately I was able to get the hell out of there before they got too close. It was a peaceful afternoon on the river but I might as well been downtown at midnight.

I always carry on my ATV. I ride in some very remote locations and never know what I may come across, angry hunters, poachers, rabid wildlife??? But if it is not legal I guess I need to just carry a knife and hope for the best. Just another MA gun law that does absolutely nothing but put a licensed gun owner at a disadvantage.

Regarding the boat thing...
A few years ago, here in Massachusetts, some three-letter-agency tried to implement gun control by fiat by banning possession on all Massachusetts waterways under their purview, including all coastal areas and Boston Harbor. There was a thread here about it. After the predictable uproar (mostly from the waterfowler community) they claimed that the inclusion of that language was "a copy and paste error" IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom