• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Richie's Sporting Supply-Westport, MA

I've been meaning to write a review about Richies for some time now, I'm glad someone beat me to it. Richie is a good guy and its a great shop. He has tons of stuff from shotguns, handguns and tactical rifles. He is one of the good guys out there and it is worth the visit.

Just bumping up a plug for Richie's. Was talking to one of my Father's friends who sometimes works the counter there that I've known since I was about 10, and he said lots of new stuff was coming up for sale all the time now. Glock 23s at $525, H&K pistols (don't remember the model) in the same price range. Plus Richie was taking old stock from the storage room and putting it out daily. The milsurp rack has even grown with some really nice Chinese SKS rifles at fair prices and even a few Mosins on consignment courtesy of yours truly.[wink]
Factor in shotguns galore, a few tactical sniper rifles, and a good assortment of pistols and I'd say this is the best stuff I've seen at his shop. Plus you never know what kind of story you'll get from Richie, not to mention the off beat but funny sense of humor.[laugh]

Yea

I went buy to check out his shop. He is a very nice guy A+1. His shop is a little cramped but that is he has a lot of cool stuff. Stop by and listen to a good story or just take a look.

Just a note: Richie's will be closing soon for a hunting trip. Right now Richie himself is in Maine but the store is still open, in a week or so the store will be closed untill November 5th I believe. If anyone is planning on stopping by give them a call first to make sure someone is there.

Anyone catch Richie on the news last night? I was at his shop today and someone was asking him about it. Channel 10 I think it was on, I missed it and only found out about it today. They were interviewing him about the cop that shot that scumbag that pointed a pellet gun at the cops when they raided a crack house in New Bedford.

Another Plug For Richie's

While I was there today Richie wanted me to mention to everyone here that he had their Christmas party last Saturday. He had a huge spread of food with 3 diferent types of salmon, elk, venison, and all kinds of other goodies laid out on a 7' table. I didn't find out about it untill today. Of course its not like he posts info here under the dealer's section like I've told him to a dozen times.[rolleyes] I keep bugging him to check out the forums and he says he will get on here someday.
New stuff that was there today that I saw was a Romanian AK with side mount Russian scope all done up in a camo paint job with plastic furniture. Kinda big and odd looking to me but than again I'm a purist when it comes to most military rifles and someone else might get turned on by the urban tactical look. Also saw a few high end tactical bolt action rifles here that I hadn't seen before. Anyone with deep pockets and a need/want for a true military sniper rifle can find what they're looking for there, thats for sure.

Anyone been here lately? I find that he had some good deals at one time. But his prices are strictly by the (blue) book now with no negotiation. Also his hours change almost weekly. His summer hours were Thursday-Saturday. And several times I went on those days and he was closed with no explanation. He's closed now for almost two weeks. And his web site is gone.

He's been on a hunting trip in Maine and won't be back probably untill this weekend.
Like Richie tells everyone... its strictly a hobby for him instead of a business. Hence the odd hours. I usually call before I head up there.

Is Gordon coming back? Any idea how he is doing?

I just saw him a few days before they closed for the trip. Gordon was going with them I think.
He said he feels good. You can see a huge difference now that the weight is gone.
Not sure if he'll be working at the shop though.

Richies

Hate to step on anyone's toes but I have never been treated nicely at his shop. I have been extremely polite and just never got off on the right foot with him. Nice shop, great collection but he either likes you and will take care of you, or he will ask you to leave. It is a shame.

I used to stop there to buy ammo and look at gear before I ordered it anywhere. Last time I went in he accused me of speeding down his driveway then almost climbed over the counter at me while I just stood there in awe of the accusation. Never been back.

I used to stop there to buy ammo and look at gear before I ordered it anywhere. Last time I went in he accused me of speeding down his driveway then almost climbed over the counter at me while I just stood there in awe of the accusation. Never been back.

Two sides to every story :)
I was there at Richies when this happend and it didn't go as you stated here. The day before while walking into Richies yard, I was almost run over by a speeder. As you know, Richies driveway is long and has bushes/trees at the entrance. A customer came speeding in and I had to basicly jump out of the way.
The very next day, I assume it was you, a vehicle came speeding in again. The engine noise could be heard and Richie said to me good thing you were not out there again. A minuite later I heard him say Slow Down when you come in here and someone said I wasn't speeding. Richie said something like I'm just telling you slow down and the person got upset and said something then left.
Lets not make a big deal out of something here that is mis-interperted. I know that there was a reason for Richie to respond to speeders almost running over his customers. I would not want to deal with the stuff Gun Shop owners have to let alone any retail shops !

Called Ritchie's today to first see if he was open and if he had a particular used gun. Well he had a similar gun but would not tell me the price. "We never quote prices over the phone". I also called three other shops who freely gave condition and price.
In this day and age with the Internet and gun shops posting inventory and prices its unusual to say the least to find a shop that won't give a price.
I was calling for a friend who understandably would not drive a hour or two one way to look at a gun until he knew it was in his price range.

Knob, gimme the particulars, Ill go drive by there.. its only about 20 minute ride for me and i have a decent rapport with him. Know ahead of time though that he is Cash or check only, and I dont have either to do the transaction >>> LOL

Called Ritchie's today to first see if he was open and if he had a particular used gun. Well he had a similar gun but would not tell me the price. "We never quote prices over the phone". I also called three other shops who freely gave condition and price.
In this day and age with the Internet and gun shops posting inventory and prices its unusual to say the least to find a shop that won't give a price.
I was calling for a friend who understandably would not drive a hour or two one way to look at a gun until he knew it was in his price range.

I HATE that. One reason I have never been there. If you are looking for a specific gun, your obviously not going to drive all the way to a shop if you dont know the price. Stupid policy and the reason I have never gone there.

Knob, gimme the particulars, Ill go drive by there.. its only about 20 minute ride for me and i have a decent rapport with him. Know ahead of time though that he is Cash or check only, and I dont have either to do the transaction >>> LOL

Thanks anyway but I give up on him. I've bought from him in the past but never again. I've put up with his set prices and BS claim he's only 15% over cost on new guns, unpredictable store hours, refusing to deal on used guns, his know it all attitude and listening to how he won the Vietnam war single handedly, his forensic work on the O.J. trial. And on and on.

Last edited:
I've put up with his set prices and claiming he is only 15% over cost on new guns, unpredictable store hours, refusing to deal on used guns, his know it all attitude and listening to how he won the vietnam war single handedly, his forensic work on the O.J. trial. And on and on.

[laugh]

I see you are a veteran of shopping at Richies. [smile]

I agree that Richie is a big wind bag. He makes up stories as soon as he thinks you are interested. He is a big pile of BS. And his Help Bob is a bigger ASS.

Stopped by today to have a first hand look and to form my own opinion on the man/shop... He has a very nice shop with plenty of supply. He is more than willing to answer any questions that you might have and has way more knowledge about firearms than I have. I don't see anything wrong with someone that wants to tell stories behind the counter. I'll take that any day over a guy that grunts when you ask to see one of his precious guns.... Just my opinion :)

Anyone know what that "Tank" is in his driveway?

hahaha I was actually picking up a gun there over the summer and he had to leave to finalize the deal on that tank. All I know is that its British and he got it for around $200,000 after a bidding war. His wife was pissed and was trying to make him sell his shelby cobra.

Most folks will buy one gun from Richie and then decide not to go back. I won't go back...He is full of crap as we all know. I caught him in a tall tale about colt AR's when buying my one gun from him. Lots of other good places to go. Also he will tell some folks he has only a 10% markup and other he has only 20% markup etc. until nobody knows. He is nice as hell until you ask him about lowering a price on a gun (sometimes overpriced) as well...then you are just a bother to him and he treats you like an ass instead of a customer. You will find better shops around SE Mass than there.

Just heard that Ritchie is planning on taking off most of the summer. So if you have anything on hold there or anything, you need to call him or get in there. No details yet on when he will be closed.

Man I dont know who you guys are talking about. Every time I go in there that dude is RUDE and just never stops telling lies. I bought a Makarov in 380acp from him it was my first pistol he told me it was his buddies gun and it was like brand new never shot. The gun looked good so I bought it, I shot a box of wwb thru and the cases were all oval and black all down the side.

Humm... I checked at Richies and the Makarov you bought is not a .380 its a 9x18 which shoots 9mm Makarov ONLY! You are lucky the gun didn't blow up in your face:( It was a consignment gun and no warranty however you used the wrong ammo.....gun was fine.

He still has 7.62x39 for $7.00 a box...23 cents a round ,,,cheap isn't it.

Again...two sides to every story

Anyone know what that "Tank" is in his driveway?
The tank is called a British Ferret and did not cost $200,00.00 . I asked his wife if she made him sell the Cobra and she said " No Way" I haven't been here in a while however every time I come in to read about the gun shops, someone is always telling stories, untruths and just putting others down. Where none of us are perfect and have our days, retail is a hard business to work at. If one considers the attitudes people have, heck just in a few posts in the Gun Shop Topic's alone, one can see how some may be not treated to their satisfaction. Prices have gone crazy the past 10 months and changes to guns and ammo have to go accordingly. Where a price may be at 10%, 15% or 20% over cost, some factors make shops charge a little more than they like...just to stay profitable. As far as "Price Quotes" business people would spend most of their day on the phone answering questions and giving prices to window shoppers. Get off you butt and take a ride to the shops and see what they may have and their prices. I do know Richies asks where the person is at and if they are a distance away..gives them a price. No shop is going to please everyone and cater to their whims or feelings on a give day if they are having a day like that themselves. The post by ooglassoo is a good example how wrong info is posted about a business and how a bad name can be started about a shop. BTW.. the so called "A$$ helper Bob" is a retired policeman and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Low key , friendly and helpful all the time. Not all shops are right and neither are all customers. Those who are reading the posts about ANY shop needs to see for themselves how a shop is and how they are treated. If you have a problem with a shop or an employee inquire as to why you fell mistreated. Nothings perfect and nobody is right 100% of the time. Sorry for the long post but things needed to be straightened out or cleared up.

He is nice as hell until you ask him about lowering a price on a gun (sometimes overpriced) as well...then you are just a bother to him and he treats you like an ass instead of a customer.

Too funny !!! Go into Texas Roadhouse, McDonalds , Staples, Best Buy and ask them to lower their price! If you want to barter, go to a flea market :)

If a price is too high on something, I go to another store and see if its cheaper however driving around and spending $2.50 a gallon of gas can hurt the final savings on an item. Most people enjoy the hunt and trying to get the best deal is fun however asking for a lower price is an art. If "I" was to try and get a better deal, I would nicely say.. well, I like the gun however I am limited to this amount. If the shop owner wants to sell it at a lower price he/she will offer it to me at that lower price. The other thing is know your prices before going shopping because better deals can be had.

WOW!! Some people are taking this a little personally...
I have been into the shop a few times.. Richie is one of the nicest guys around, but you have to make sure you have time, because he will keep you there talking, and talking, and talking...It is hard to end a conversation, because he is so nice. I have not med the other employees..
Saying that, his prices are very high.. The pistol I bought was over $150.00 more at his shop, and this was new, not used...
He also told me that his ammo was going up in price, because the manufacturers were charging him more for it, because of the demand.... I was told by someone else, also in the business that that is not true, it's just a supply demand issue. So, my conclusion is that Rickie is a very nice guy who knows a lot, but he is often FOS... [grin]

Back
Top Bottom