RIA 2011 - fixed!

Ordered this on a whim, it's the RIA TAC double stack 2011 in 9mm. It had so much oil in/on it my shop was a member of OPEC for an hour before I started cleaning it. Finally had some time to hit the range for a few this afternoon, brought some Fed American Eagle 147 gn, Speer Lawman 147 gn, and a few flavors of 115/124 gn reloads to run through it. 2nd shot in:

Cbh8zQS.jpg

Cleared, 2 more shots:

qWNmnRs.jpg

Cleared, next shot:

8mZt46F.jpg

Fired 3 straight rounds and danced a jig in celebration before:

2d8Ek6A.jpg

Finished 50 rounds with a shitload of the same failures before putting it back in the case in disgust. Never had a lemon like this, and I've owned many Keltecs. Will be interesting to see what their CS is like.

It will be interesting to see how their customer service deals with this. I don't know what that sells for, but it looks like it's having the same problem (failure to extract) my S&W 1911 Pro Series 9mm had and that listed for $1600 (paid $1220 from buds guns 3 years ago). It went back to S&W THREE times and it still occasionally fails to extract a case, so it sits in the safe and comes out only occasionally for a range trip. After getting it back from the third return trip, I decided not to buy any more S&W products.

So it is firing and then failing to extract or is the bullet not going into the chamber all the way?

Is there an extractor in there anywhere?

Just compared it to an STI Spartan(which runs like a champ) and even with my bad eyes I can see the difference in the angle.

So it is firing and then failing to extract or is the bullet not going into the chamber all the way?

Yes, fires and fails to extract. As mentioned above it looks like the extractor isn't angled properly.

Any marks on the casing from the extractor? any pictures of the extractor and or the casing(s). I am no expert but it may help.

It's the flattened nose of the bullet. I had the same issue I was running the Winchester Brown box surplus. Couldn't get more than three rounds before a failure. Switch to the round nose Blazer and never had a problem shot 200 rounds of that no problem.

Any marks on the casing from the extractor? any pictures of the extractor and or the casing(s). I am no expert but it may help.

RIA:
EW6W9ZA.jpg

STI:
fPV7WHf.jpg

The extractor looks to be slipping right over the rim of the case. RIA has responded (within an hour of my contact) with a request for my info.

Assuming you've tried other types of ammo, and it's persistent, you may be better off seeking out a 1911 mechanic and have them fix it, unless RIA is pretty confident they can do so... lots of 9mm 1911s are basically dumpster fires out of the box... so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Second on the ammo style. 1911's historically have trouble with ammo thats not ball. I dont like 1911's but i did have a 9mm rock island that i put 200 rounds through without a hiccup. But it was 115 grain wwb/ remington

I own 1 9mm 1911 and it is a RIA tac 9mm that runs flawless right now. But if i had to take that or my DE1911 .45 i would take the 45, i have more confidence in that magazine as it is built around that cartridge. It has less to do with the gun and more the mag.

Still waiting to hear back from them, not being able to sit still I stripped the slide and cleaned it up. Figured I'd give the extractor a little bend to see if it changes anything.

A quick test to tell if it needs extractor tension is if it holds a round against the breechface as you slow eject it, but before it hits the ejector. If not, add tension.

From you pictures, it doesn't look like the extractor hook is square. Throw another one in there

I have a less expensive RIA 9mm single stack and never had a problem like that. Guessing there is something wrong with yours like the extractor or spring etc..

Their customer service is good. I had a 1911 that just could not be made to run. After the third trip back they replaced the pistol, without me asking. I sold the replacement pistol brand new in the box. Didn’t want to deal with it anymore.

That thing would be priceless as a handgun malfunction-drill platform. Think of selling it to MFS...

So it spent almost a month at RIA, they sent it back with a note saying "Customer's concerns verified - new parts fitted, installed, and tested.". Brought it out for a quick trip to the range this morning and ran about 150 rounds(115/124/147) through it with no problems. Extractor angle looks better. It's a fun gun to shoot(as is the Canik TP9SFx - very impressive).

Glad they made good on it!
As far as I remember almost every 1911 I've ever owned needed some TLC to the extractor, whether the gun was new or used. The first few I brought to gunsmiths but then I learned how to properly tune a 1911 extractor myself. It's not that difficult, and if I end up having to replace one, I go with Ed Brown.
If you have any other issues, I'm right up the street from you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom