• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Transportation question

MisterHappy

NES Member
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Question for the Ocean State Brain Trust, from a M*******:

My son ( 16 years old, driver's license and Mass FID) wants to go to a Trap Shoot at Wallum Lake on memorial day.

He'd have his broken-down cased, and locked O/U shotgun, and ammo, of course.

What's the deal? Is he good to go? I know that it's 5 minutes over the line, but.....

TIA

Question for the Ocean State Brain Trust, from a M*******:

My son ( 16 years old, driver's license and Mass FID) wants to go to a Trap Shoot at Wallum Lake on memorial day.

He'd have his broken-down cased, and locked O/U shotgun, and ammo, of course.

What's the deal? Is he good to go? I know that it's 5 minutes over the line, but.....

TIA
Unless he has adult supervision, I think it's a no-go, only because he's under 18. Over 18 would be no issues.

ETA: Wallum Lake is an awesome club. I've been there a couple of times as a guest. I would join, but it's far from me (in RI terms).

§ 11-47-33 Possession of firearms by minors. – (a) It shall be unlawful within this state for any person under eighteen (18) years of age to possess and use any firearm unless he or she shall hold a permit as provided in § 11-47-34, and unless the person is in the presence of a parent or guardian or supervising adult at any regular and recognized camp or rifle range approved by the Rhode Island state police or by the chief of police of the city or town in which the camp or rifle range is located; provided, that this provision shall not apply to minors engaged in lawful hunting activity under the supervision of a parent or guardian or qualified adult, minors participating in Reserve Officer Training Corps programs, ceremonial parade activities, competitive and target shooting, participants in state militia activities and minors participating in a basic firearms education program; provided, further, that a person under eighteen (18) years of age may carry a firearm, unloaded, in a suitable case to and from his or her home and the camp or range and from the camp or range to other camp or range when accompanied by a parent, guardian or supervising adult.

(b) For purposes of this section only, "qualified adult" means any person twenty-one (21) years of age or older and permitted by law to possess and use the firearm.

History of Section.
(G.L. 1938, ch. 404, § 24; P.L. 1950, ch. 2452, § 4; G.L. 1956, § 11-47-27; G.L. 1956, § 11-47-33; P.L. 1959, ch. 75, § 1; P.L. 1999, ch. 374, § 1.)

§ 11-47-34 Firearms permits to minors. – The Rhode Island state police or the chief of police of the city or town in which the person resides shall issue permits to any person under eighteen (18) years of age only upon satisfactory proof of being engaged in a course of training in the use of firearms at a regular and recognized camp or rifle range, and provided that the person has the written consent of a parent or guardian. Valid membership cards of junior gun clubs or of junior divisions of senior gun clubs incorporated in the state of Rhode Island shall be prima facie evidence of the person under eighteen (18) years of age being engaged in a course of training in the use of firearms at a regular and recognized camp or rifle range.

History of Section.
(G.L. 1938, ch. 404, § 25; P.L. 1950, ch. 2452, § 4; G.L. 1956, § 11-47-28; G.L. 1956, § 11-47-34; P.L. 1959, ch. 75, § 1; P.L. 1999, ch. 374, § 1.)

Last edited:
I don't know to much about teen gun laws (even thought I will in about 12 years) so I am lost here. Initially it seems based on the info N1bsbr1 cited that he would need adult supervision.

If he wants to stay out of trouble he should NOT be traveling to RI with firearms without an adult.

Having said this, my opinion I think he could legally do it, because of the words "possess and use" in the statute referenced above. He wouldn't be "using the firearm" while in the car and I assume he would be with adult supervision while he is shooting at Wallum. The Attorney General has for about a 10-12 years try to strike the word "use" so that they can prosecute and convict underage 'gang bangers' in Providence that they claim are "flooding the streets of Providence" with long guns that they can't do anything about... They have yet to provide any data to back up their claim and I (and many other law abiding gun owners in RI) have opposed this legislation for years. The problem with the wording they are proposing (striking the word "use") is exactly that it would prevent people like your son (I assuming he is a law abiding citizen) from hunting and sporting activities including firearms (long guns).
Like I said, I think he could legally do it, but it could cause a major headache if pulled over by an officer since I doubt they know this law. They could confiscate your firearms and it might cost you thousands of dollars in legal fees and take you years to get them back even if no charges are filed (RI is known for this and the ACLU has sued at least two towns recently for not returning confiscated firearms).

I have also yet to hear a Police Chief that issues these permits referenced above to minors..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom