• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI to MA transfer question

slap shot

NES Member
I'll keep it simple. Unlicensed RI resident in possession of 2 firearms they'd like to transfer to licensed MA resident.

One is a single shot H&R Topper 20G, the other is a Jennings .25. I know, toss them both in the scrap metal heap right? :)

Can they both go to a MA FFL and do the transfers?

Topper is as simple as one FFL to another, or in person at an FFL in MA (the purchaser/receiver state) or RI (as long as the FFL does the "selling"). Sounds like it would be the former since the owner has no licensing and can't bring the firearm into MA (except to transport it to a shop with a range, maybe?).

The Jennings will be more difficult but is do-able, however the cost might outweigh the benefits.

bumping as there was a lot of hand wringing yesterday and maybe more eyes will see it today lol

does this belong in general?

The shotgun is no problem. It can be transferred in RI or MA.
The Jennings is not on the approved firearms list so a MA FFL can't transfer it.
Since federal law requires that handguns be transferred by an FFL in the recipient's state, it won't fly.
If the current owner moves to MA and gets his LTC, he can transfer it. :rolleyes:

The shotgun is no problem. It can be transferred in RI or MA.
The Jennings is not on the approved firearms list so a MA FFL can't transfer it.
Since federal law requires that handguns be transferred by an FFL in the recipient's state, it won't fly.
If the current owner moves to MA and gets his LTC, he can transfer it. :rolleyes:

thanks guys, didn't even think of the list.

If you really want this stuff, call your friendly FFL and ask them if they'll do the transfer. They might surprise you or have suggestions.
Once they agree, you can meet him on the RI side of the border and transport the firearms to the MA FFL and do the transfer(s) there without breaking any laws

IANAL or an expert, so I'll wait for Len to chime in, but I don't think this is completely accurate.

An FFL in MA can transfer the frame of a pistol, regardless of the approved firearms roster, because it is not a firearm, it is a frame. You should be able to transfer the Jennings frame, and then have the owner give you the complete slide. You would need to fill out an eFA10 once assembled in MA with the seller information left blank as the other party did not sell you a firearm, but a frame.

You could always call an FFL and ask.

IANAL or an expert, so I'll wait for Len to chime in, but I don't think this is completely accurate.
An FFL in MA can transfer the frame of a pistol, regardless of the approved firearms roster, because it is not a firearm, it is a frame. You should be able to transfer the Jennings frame, and then have the owner give you the complete slide. You would need to fill out an eFA10 once assembled in MA with the seller information left blank as the other party did not sell you a firearm, but a frame.

I don't know of any FFL willing to do this, and if you find one, do NOT mention it here!

Yes, perfectly legal per MGL since the definition of "what's a gun" is different between Fed and state laws.

I don't know of any FFL willing to do this, and if you find one, do NOT mention it here!

Exactly! There are some in LE that are not at all happy about this and look at this as "breaking the law" and you can be sure that they have the ear of the AG, so be very careful about publicly talking about this. All it takes is another press conference to shut this down completely. I don't know for certain but suspect this is why the AG demanded 4473s from The Gun Parlor for the next 2 years, so she could flag these transactions and use that info to take some sort of <unfriendly> action with that data.

Back
Top Bottom