• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI State House Judiciary hearing live stream

I find it odd that whenever the 'chairwoman' reads the names of people that didn't want to testify in between panels the EVERY one of them supports restrictions on guns. [thinking]

Thanks to everybody showing up tonight for the rally, and to testify. As has been mentioned, the showing of numbers is important. One of the anti-gun guys said there was a majority in RI that support these new gun laws -- a "silent majority", but where were they? The antis were outnumbered 10 to 1 tonight.

Thanks to everybody showing up tonight for the rally, and to testify. As has been mentioned, the showing of numbers is important. One of the anti-gun guys said there was a majority in RI that support these new gun laws -- a "silent majority", but where were they? The antis were outnumbered 10 to 1 tonight.
Friends of mine (who are not gun owners) don't seem to fall into this silent majority. Whenever proposed laws come up in conversation they generally ask a few questions about current laws or firearms in general and then realize that more laws aren't the answer. Unfortunately in RI politicians have gotten used to assuming a "silent majority" support most of their proposals whether they exist or not.

Looks like madame chair realized she was being overly biased with the names she was reading and their support of the BS.

Down to the last group....looks like they lied about this taking til 7am "at the rate they were going". [thinking]

Is that the rep that spoke last? What district is she from? I'd like to throw some campagin $$ or atleast a thank you email to her.

Yelena is the young woman with the Russian accent that spoke during the last (or was it the second to last) panel.
She's also an NES'r, although it's been a while since she's posted. She's been busy saving the animals of the world.

Yelena is the young woman with the Russian accent that spoke during the last (or was it the second to last) panel.
She's also an NES'r, although it's been a while since she's posted. She's been busy saving the animals of the world.

Ah, I saw her. I was happily suprised she was pro 2.

One thing that really annoyed me throughout the part that I watched on line was that Madame Chairwoman really needed to put a brush to her hair. It's sloppy and disrespectful to the whole state.

She won't be frequentlng NES very much anymore. She posted on FB that there was a forum she belonged to that had a discussion that involved taking violent action against cats and that she will only come here for legal/or gun tech questions. I came here and looked and found the thread easily.

Is that the rep that spoke last? What district is she from? I'd like to throw some campagin $$ or atleast a thank you email to her.
I think you are talking about Walsh? The blond woman in the back row? She was excellent, asked some of the best questions of the night.

I believe she represents Charlestown area.

They were probably too scared to testify with all you crazy gun nuts in the room......

I got on the elevator to the 3rd floor around 6:00 and there were two people in suits on it. They were talking to each other and one remarked that it was going to be a late night because "those guys are crazy". He got off on the second floor and the other guy asked me if I was "one of those crazys". I asked him what he meant by crazy and he asked if I was for or against the bills. I told him I was against them and he said "well you have a right to your opinion."
These were not testifiers they just worked somewhere in the statehouse.

Another thing is all the "experts" out right lied. Isn't that illegal? Especially the dickwad with his AR and all the bullshit he spewed.

The good news is all bills have been returned to committee for reconsideration in both the House and Senate. In a normal year that means they are dead. The House and Senate have 1 more month to finish up their business, they go into recess in mid-June and stay that way until next February. Anything not passed when they go into recess is dead until Feb when it has to be resubmitted. VERY RARELY does anything come back out of committee when it has been returned to committee. I am hoping these bills are now dead. It is possible that they will identify changes to be made and introduce them to the House and Senate. If it were any other topic I would say no. It's hard to say in this case. Here's hoping....

In a normal year that means they are dead.
This year may be normal, but those bills are not normal. They are a part of a hard-pushed agenda which passed in neighboring states with no problems and no resistance from the gun owners. In fact, anti-gunners are by far more active than us, they push much harder, and are more visible.
The fight is far from being over.

This year may be normal, but those bills are not normal. They are a part of a hard-pushed agenda which passed in neighboring states with no problems and no resistance from the gun owners. In fact, anti-gunners are by far more active than us, they push much harder, and are more visible.
The fight is far from being over.

Yes, but fortunately in this state the gun owners are coming out and actually doing something. I think it's because of what we've seen in other states. I really believe Massachusetts is next so you people better be ready and step up. This is a fight we will be facing again here and we need more states failing to pass these unjust bills.

This year may be normal, but those bills are not normal.

This year is not normal, this year is the first legislative year following Sandy Hook. As for the normality of the bills, they are par for the course in RI: poorly written, badly thought out and full of nonsense. I think CT would argue quite fiercely that there was substantial resistance to their slate of anti-gun bills. But in the end, their legislature was stacked with bumblers and fools and no amount of resistance can overcome stupidity. NY passed their legislation in the dead of night. There was little opportunity for resistance.

But no, the fight is not over. The remaining questions are: Will any of these bills come back out of committee this year? If any do, which ones (it is likely to be a subset of the total package of bills) and finally, what will the full House and Senate do? They've got about a month and the RI legislature is notoriously slow and lazy. I almost hope they run out of time. People's memories are short. They will have a harder time making the case for this agenda a year from now.

Yes, but fortunately in this state the gun owners are coming out and actually doing something. I think it's because of what we've seen in other states. I really believe Massachusetts is next so you people better be ready and step up. This is a fight we will be facing again here and we need more states failing to pass these unjust bills.
A lot of bill supporters were actually gun owners who see nothing wrong with "assault weapon" ban. And from the ridiculously small crowd size at the rally, it is obvious that most people don't do anything. Nobody is going to pay attention. Nobody.
And of the legislature passes, what's next? Peaceful civil disobedience? Non-violent noncompliance? Massive sit-ins? Yep, maybe, with a dozen of participants in the very best case scenario.

A lot of bill supporters were actually gun owners who see nothing wrong with "assault weapon" ban. And from the ridiculously small crowd size at the rally, it is obvious that most people don't do anything. Nobody is going to pay attention. Nobody.
And of the legislature passes, what's next? Peaceful civil disobedience? Non-violent noncompliance? Massive sit-ins? Yep, maybe, with a dozen of participants in the very best case scenario.

dum spiro spero

Back
Top Bottom