Ri state house gun night

Holy Shit!

The state of Rhode Island shall recognize and honor a valid concealed weapons permit from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, state of Connecticut or any other state with a live fire qualification requirement. These individuals shall be exempted from the provisions of §11-47-8 and shall have the right to carry a concealed firearm everywhere within this state.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText16/HouseText16/H7541.pdf

but don't dare bring your pre-ban mags.

House Bill No. 7199
BY Regunberg, Carson, Ajello, Handy, Almeida
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS {LC3670/1} (Criminalizes the manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale or transfer of any ammunition feeding device capable of accepting more than ten (10) rounds.)
01/15/2016 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary
03/16/2016 Scheduled for hearing and/or consideration

Oh look. This same crap again.

House Bill No. 7199
BY Regunberg, Carson, Ajello, Handy, Almeida
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS {LC3670/1} (Criminalizes the manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale or transfer of any ammunition feeding device capable of accepting more than ten (10) rounds.)
01/15/2016 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary

Anything with Ajello and Almeida on it will be crap.

I'm hoping 7541 moves forward. If it becomes law, then I think it should become a priority for us to get a reciprocal bill proposed for RI at least.

All well and good but does Mass have a live fire training requirement? Or maybe I'm reading it wrong....

Can't speak for before 2012, but my Gun Safety certificate from MSP did specify live fire.

What's the legislative time frame for potentially recognizing a MA CCW license?

Can't speak for before 2012, but my license certificate from MSP did specify live fire.

This act would allow individuals with concealed carry permits issued by Massachusetts, Connecticut and any other state with a live fire requirement to carry concealed firearms within this state. This act would take effect upon passage.

The RI legislative season ends 6/30 and the bill would take effect upon passage. So before July.

Can't speak for before 2012, but my Gun Safety certificate from MSP did specify live fire.

Some places offer live fire and will stamp the certification so your chief is aware you've done it but IIRC it isn't required by law.

So will we have to apply for another out of state license (i.e. NH) or will the Mass one just be enough? Seems like RI might be leaving money on the table without requiring a non-resident license application fee. If they don't require a new non resident license how do they know someone did live fire.....

What's up with this one? Does this mean you cannot bring a rifle or shotgun into RI at all? Even if it's locked in a case?

House Bill No. 7850
(Attorney General)
BY Diaz, Shekarchi, Almeida, Maldonado
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS {LC4003/1} (Makes it unlawful to carry a rifle or shotgun in a vehicle or on one's person, visible or concealed, except at one's residence, place of business or land.)
03/03/2016 Introduced, referred to House Judiciary

What's up with this one? Does this mean you cannot bring a rifle or shotgun into RI at all? Even if it's locked in a case?

House Bill No. 7850
(Attorney General)
BY Diaz, Shekarchi, Almeida, Maldonado
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS {LC4003/1} (Makes it unlawful to carry a rifle or shotgun in a vehicle or on one's person,real or imagined,visible or concealed, except at one's residence, place of business or land.)

I wish this was what was proposed. [rofl]

So will we have to apply for another out of state license (i.e. NH) or will the Mass one just be enough? Seems like RI might be leaving money on the table without requiring a non-resident license application fee. If they don't require a new non resident license how do they know someone did live fire.....

See #9. And carry permits aren't supposed to be a money maker. Rights shouldn't be for sale. It's a simple concept - the bill is proposing that if you have a Mass or CT resident carry permit, you can carry in RI.

See #9. And carry permits aren't supposed to be a money maker. Rights shouldn't be for sale. It's a simple concept - the bill is proposing that if you have a Mass or CT resident carry permit, you can carry in RI.

The mass license doesn't indicate live fire was done. The certificate may if the instructor notes it. My point was ri will not have a way of verifing it without requiring a separate license. I am not going to touch the money making issue, only saying my nh license costs me $100.

We will have to carry our certicates with our license.........

Last edited:
The mass license doesn't indicate live fire was done. The certificate may if the instructor notes it. My point was ri will not have a way of verifing it without requiring a separate license. I am not going to touch the money making issue, only saying my nh license costs me $100.

They can verify which states require live fire by looking up the statutory requirements of each state. Something an intern can do in about an hour at the RI Attorney General's office. You're seeing this as "live fire required", but it's "Mass + CT + any state that requires live fire to get a carry permit." RI currently has no law in regards to reciprocity at all. States do recognize RI permits (except Mass and CT), but RI generally doesn't acknowledge other states' permits. For example, when I'm in RI, I don't carry because I have a NH resident permit.

They can verify which states require live fire by looking up the statutory requirements of each state. Something an intern can do in about an hour at the RI Attorney General's office. You're seeing this as "live fire required", but it's "Mass + CT + any state that requires live fire to get a carry permit." RI currently has no law in regards to reciprocity at all. States do recognize RI permits (except Mass and CT), but RI generally doesn't acknowledge other states' permits. For example, when I'm in RI, I don't carry because I have a NH resident permit.

Hopefully this passes!

I'll be there passing out yellow buttons again that say "Gun Control Does Not Work" If you have them from the previous years, I ask that you bring them again this year.

I'll be there passing out yellow buttons again that say "Gun Control Does Not Work" If you have them from the previous years, I ask that you bring them again this year.

This is one of the best things we can do. The first year we had them I was told by a member of the house. "All we could see was a sea of Yellow and it showed us how many people opposed the bills"

Holy Shit!
The state of Rhode Island shall recognize and honor a valid concealed weapons permit from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, state of Connecticut or any other state with a live fire qualification requirement. These individuals shall be exempted from the provisions of §11-47-8 and shall have the right to carry a concealed firearm everywhere within this state.
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/BillText/BillText16/HouseText16/H7541.pdf
As someone who lives in MA and spends a lot of time in RI, this would be HUUUUUUUGE....

Back
Top Bottom