• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Officials to Announce Gun Control Bills - Post #10 Update

RI Officials to Announce Gun Control Bills

Here we go, 2:30 today... This is going to be a pig *uck gun grabbing orgy... [thinking]

Two bills already have been introduced, including one to require gun owners to register their weapons with local police and pay a $100-per-gun fee and another to require safety mechanisms on all guns sold in the state.

What have I gotten myself into... [sad2]

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty sure the $100 registration already got shot down back when it was first introduced a few months back. That and its illegal to tax a human right. Do we tax a reporter every time they write a story?

Well I'm pretty sure the $100 registration already got shot down back when it was first introduced a few months back. That and its illegal to tax a human right. Do we tax a reporter every time they write a story?

liberals pick and choose which parts of the constitution they like.

good luck down there. fight it HARD!

make them aware of the millions of tx dollars it is going to take to maintain these stupid new laws,

conn. is already wondering how they are going to pay for the mess they created.

make them aware of the millions of tx dollars it is going to take to maintain these stupid new laws,

conn. is already wondering how they are going to pay for the mess they created.
Trust me, if there is ANYTHING RI congress-critters could give less of a schumer about, it is how much tax dollars they piss away.

Re: RI Officials to Announce Gun Control Bills - 2:30 Today

On the positive side RI pols are so corrupt you could probably take a collection up and pay them to lose the bills in a closet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RI lawmakers unveil gun-control package, including ban on semiautomatic EBRs

RI lawmakers unveil gun-control package, including ban on semiautomatic EBRs

So, here we go:

Bans on high-capacity magazines and semiautomatic assault weapons after July 1. Exempted are antique firearms, inoperable weapons, rifles or shotguns unable to hold high-capacity magazines, and firearms manufactured before July 1, 1963. Current owners are grandfathered in, although they may sell such weapons only to buyers outside Rhode Island or to someone authorized to possess them.

Granting the attorney general's office the sole power to approve conceal-carry permits. Under current law, local police chiefs also have the authority, though less discretion.

Barring anyone from carrying a rifle or shotgun, openly or concealed, anywhere in public, except for those who are hunting or target shooting.

Apparently, this is all for the Children. Well, I guess my stay in RI will be short lived.

Pretty much what I expected, with the exception of the carrying of rifles/shotguns. I don't see the bills posted yet on the GA's website and I look forward to reading what the actual bill text says.
I expected to see that mental health records would be submitted, but I also thought that RI would start submitting records to NICS that would disqualify anyone from owning a firearm per State Law... This is not in there so I guess they really don't care if someone commits a crime in RI (and are convicted) and they go to another state and buy a rifle or shotgun.
* Bans on high-capacity magazines and semiautomatic assault weapons after July 1. Exempted are antique firearms, inoperable weapons, rifles or shotguns unable to hold high-capacity magazines, and firearms manufactured before July 1, 1963. Current owners are grandfathered in, although they may sell such weapons only to buyers outside Rhode Island or to someone authorized to possess them.
* Creation of a task force to guide the state in submitting records about mental health and substance abuse to the FBI's background check system. The task force must report back to the governor and General Assembly by Jan. 1, with legislation that will bring the state into compliance.
* Creation of a relief board for those denied firearms based on mental-health or substance-abuse backgrounds. Setting up this board makes the state eligible for federal funds to help it comply with the FBI system.
* Granting the attorney general's office the sole power to approve conceal-carry permits. Under current law, local police chiefs also have the authority, though less discretion.
* Authorizing lengthy sentences to straw purchasers and anyone who gives a gun to a juvenile, who uses it a violent crime.
* Increasing the penalty for not reporting lost or stolen firearms.
* Barring anyone from carrying a rifle or shotgun, openly or concealed, anywhere in public, except for those who are hunting or target shooting.
The attorney general's office has already introduced bills making it illegal to possess a firearm with an obliterated serial number and also barring juveniles from possessing a firearm, unless a parent, guardian or supervising adult is present.
RI lawmakers unveil gun-control package, including ban on semiautomatic assault weapons | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal

I am not so sure about that after the Supreme Courts ruling that the Obama Care was not in violation of the Constitution because the fine/fee was a "tax"...
Regardless, the many legislators in RI could not care less about the US or RI Constitution..

If it can be characterized as a tax, then SCOTUS likely will uphold it unless it's discriminatory in some manner or is a poll tax.

Once again, the "I" in Independent stands for Ignorant. Both of reality and past supreme court cases. An outright ban is so blatantly unconstitutional, considering post Heller and McDonald that whatever legislation they propose has no legitimacy to it what so ever and if it were to go into effect, would lead to every one non-complying.

Furthermore, a ban on possession would be unconstitutional and thus violates my 5th amendment right of the state taking property of mine without compensation. Know the state of RI and how broke it is, I fail to understand how they would fund this en devour. Not to mention the only people complying would be law abiding citizens leaving criminals with un-matched firepower and thus making criminals more violent and more likely to target knowingly un-armed citizens.

I still don't understand who or how one tries to conceal a shotgun, possibly if your sneaking up on theme geese.

Last edited:
I really need to find a way to convince my wife that we need to move.

Yea, and I am moving to RI...going the wrong way. [sad2]
So, from what has been stated (no posting of the proposed laws yet) sounds like they want this wrapped up prior to July 1.

If so, what has your experience been with the AG in issuing a LTC (regardless if you actually have a legitimate reason or not)? I am basically preparing for the worst since it appears I may not make it in time to file my application to the local CLEO before they pass this $hit...

* Barring anyone from carrying a rifle or shotgun, openly or concealed, anywhere in public, except for those who are hunting or target shooting.

So I can hunt and target shoot in public? Anybody want to trap shoot on the State House lawn?

Honestly these people here can go FUK themselves. I have some angry letters to write to the people who ignore what the people want.

P.S. Lincoln Chaffee is the biggest POS this state has had in a long time. Why did anybody ever vote for him? I'm not very happy today, which I knew would happen as soon as they made their POS bill public.

This bull-schumer is going to pass for sure. The pro-2a guys in CT put up an awesome fight, and look how they got porked. The political climate in RI is even more left wing, if such a thing is possible. We are wasting our time with this sh*thole state.

Back
Top Bottom