RI Non-Resident

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone doing the test in a seated position. If the licensing authority has an issue with that, they can try to change the law.

I have heard of people (in this thread as well) signing the target as "evidence" that the proficiency test was taken and passed. I would not recommend this since now there is "evidence" and now someone could scrutinize the score. "This is a 7 and not a 8; go take the test again since the scoring is done incorrectly". There is no requirement to submit the target, so I recommend destroying it.. All the NRA instructor (or whoever is qualifying) is required to do is to sign the application with the score.

scubadive.ri, the statute you are referring to only applies to a dwelling and is the "castle doctrine" in RI. On the street you would have a duty to retreat.

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone doing the test in a seated position. If the licensing authority has an issue with that, they can try to change the law.

I have heard of people (in this thread as well) signing the target as "evidence" that the proficiency test was taken and passed. I would not recommend this since now there is "evidence" and now someone could scrutinize the score. "This is a 7 and not a 8; go take the test again since the scoring is done incorrectly". There is no requirement to submit the target, so I recommend destroying it.. All the NRA instructor (or whoever is qualifying) is required to do is to sign the application with the score.

scubadive.ri, the statute you are referring to only applies to a dwelling and is the "castle doctrine" in RI. On the street you would have a duty to retreat.
Can you quote the statute where it explains that we have a duty to retreat?

I am not aware of any statute that says you have a duty to retreat. However, I am only aware of any statutory right to self defense in what is in 11-8-8 which has to do with Burglary and Breaking and Entering. If we had the same right outside our home (or a building where you have the legal right to be), I would think there would be a statute for it A few years ago there was a bill introduced that would extend the castle doctrine to your car, but it never passed. I seriously don't think the RI legislators would support stand your ground any time soon (they would have to get a little more common sense first...). It would be an accomplishment if we could extend the castle doctrine to the car.

I am not aware of any statute that says you have a duty to retreat. However, I am only aware of any statutory right to self defense in what is in 11-8-8 which has to do with Burglary and Breaking and Entering. If we had the same right outside our home (or a building where you have the legal right to be), I would think there would be a statute for it A few years ago there was a bill introduced that would extend the castle doctrine to your car, but it never passed. I seriously don't think the RI legislators would support stand your ground any time soon (they would have to get a little more common sense first...). It would be an accomplishment if we could extend the castle doctrine to the car.
It would be an accomplishment if we could get the various cities and towns to follow the firearms statute as written. That would be a start. That recent article on Warwick was a perfect example of how they interpret the law the way they want. Much like some instructors do.

It would be an accomplishment if we could get the various cities and towns to follow the firearms statute as written. That would be a start. That recent article on Warwick was a perfect example of how they interpret the law the way they want. Much like some instructors do.
Do you have a link to that article?

I have an RI non-resident permit issued by the RI AG with restriction "NRA Instruction". My lisc. expires in in March of 2015 and I'm starting the renewal process. What is likelihood of RI AG lifting restrictions on a renewal?

Now that the election is over going to re-post my question.

I have an RI non-resident permit issued by the RI AG with restriction "NRA Instruction". My lisc. expires in in March of 2015 and I'm starting the renewal process. What is likelihood of RI AG lifting restrictions on a renewal?

So Kilmartin won so you're basically f*****. He is anti gun he thinks that only cops and retired cops should have gun permits. However, friends of mine that have resident attorney general permits initially got a restriction. A few of my friends went back after a year and asked to have the restriction removed. They did get it removed. However I know someone else who had their permit for a year who is also an NRA instructor and has a resident AG permit with the work restriction. He went back after a year and was told they won't remove the restrictions, come back for your 4 year renewal and ask then. It might be worth a shot, they're going to tell you no on the phone or by letter. Ask for an appointment. If you go in and make your case you might get the restriction removed. No guarantees!

Last edited:
ok, I am starting this process and want to see it through to the end. Who should I hire to give me the max chance of success? Keith Langer name seems to come up a lot.

ok, I am starting this process and want to see it through to the end. Who should I hire to give me the max chance of success? Keith Langer name seems to come up a lot.

I have no idea why people are talking lawyers at this point considering that you haven't even filled out the application yet. I said it in the other thread and will say it here. The following is the only statuary requirements under 11-47-11:
-a person twenty-one (21) years of age or over (which you are I assume)
-having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town
or
of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States,

The applicant must:
-have good reason to fear an injury to his or her person or property
or
-has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol or revolver (The Mosby decision stated that being a collector was proper reason and the Gadomski decision upheld that).
-he or she is a suitable person to be so licensed (The wording is vague and nowhere in RIGL is suitable defined, however the Mosby case touches on it)

So unless you question your suitability then don't post here and talk with a lawyer.

No suitability issues, clean as a whistle.

I have read numerous posts that seem to state the process is extremely difficult to get. What I am saying is that I wanted my application perfect and defendable so if for some reason I am denied I am setup to take legal action and not start the process over again because of a technicality. Same process I use with clients that need to go in front of a zoning board of appeals or similar. You hope you don't need them but if it you do......

No suitability issues, clean as a whistle.

I have read numerous posts that seem to state the process is extremely difficult to get. What I am saying is that I wanted my application perfect and defendable so if for some reason I am denied I am setup to take legal action and not start the process over again because of a technicality. Same process I use with clients that need to go in front of a zoning board of appeals or similar. You hope you don't need them but if it you do......

I would say that the intimidation factor is quite high. There was a time there when a former AG (Whitehouse) informed CLEO's NOT to issue permits. While some towns such as Lincoln have arbitrary requirements that don't even exist any longer, towns are slowly coming back inline with the law and 11-47-11.

Obtained my out of State RI ltc no restriction's picked up yesterday took 46 days . Went through town not AG . Application is alot worse than any other state i posses .... But to finally have is a great thing .

Obtained my out of State RI ltc no restriction's picked up yesterday took 46 days . Went through town not AG . Application is alot worse than any other state i posses .... But to finally have is a great thing .

Care to share any details?

I too would be interested in the details, if you do not mind sharing.

I would really like an RI permit, but hate to risk have it say yes to being turned down on future apps, I hold a 1/2 dozen licenses. I do have a C&R, my club is close to RI, and I have a sister in law that I visit regularly and help out (yard work snow plowing etc.) since she got divorced. But I do not know if any of these provide a strong enough reason for a permit??

Thanks!

I too would be interested in the details, if you do not mind sharing.

I would really like an RI permit, but hate to risk have it say yes to being turned down on future apps, I hold a 1/2 dozen licenses. I do have a C&R, my club is close to RI, and I have a sister in law that I visit regularly and help out (yard work snow plowing etc.) since she got divorced. But I do not know if any of these provide a strong enough reason for a permit??

Thanks!

Having a C&R and being a "collector" is a proper reason.

See the Mosby decision: http://www.rifol.org/attachments/File/Mosby_vs_Devine01-161.pdf

I am available to the the qualification for a RI carry permit in Hopkinton, free to Comm2a members, or to anyone willing to become one. I have the necessary "Army-L" targets in stock.

I too would be interested in the town option details if you don't mind sharing. I live on the northern RI border in a very gun friendly town/area. Most of my family lives in RI as is a lot of my shopping and dining favorite spots. Just a damn shame to always disarm before going to the "other side". My concern is the same as most others; apply, get denied, end up explaining in the future.

Ok so let's give out some not so important details . Basically I filled out app in my border town of Tiverton . The chief is gun friendly and also one of very few in RI who will still issue license . You have to find a local Pd who will issue is your best bet , not 100% confirmed but have read some details that RI is now a shall issue state . But the app is very detailed and time consuming to say the least , it helps to know good references and such . Be sure to dot every I and cross every t leave nothing blank . It is not impossible to get , applied for personal protection as I travel town a lot as well as RI , but also own summer property in area that requires travel thru town .

Remeber nothing is impossible just difficult .

Back
Top Bottom