1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

RI Non-Resident

Discussion in 'Rhode Island Laws' started by Republic of Mass, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Republic of Mass

Republic of Mass

Has anyone had any luck getting a RI Non-Resident LTC's since Lynch took office in 2003?

I know that when Pine and Whitehouse were in office, it was next to impossible.

But I have heard rumors that Lunch is more pro-gun than the past two, and getting LTS'c are more common.

I live 400 yards from RI, and every day drive THROUGH ri to get ANYWHERE.

Now, RIGL § 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol
    So, legaly, I can carry concealed, with the provision that I dont WILLINGLY stop or stay in the state. Just passing through while carrying a concealed loaded firearm is perfectly legal. Now, I do spent a LOT of time in RI, and I have found myself in a few sticky situations where i was CC'ing while passing through, but ended up having to make a stop unexpectedly. While one could argue that I didn't INTEND to do so, it did have to occur. For these situations, I had to discretely unload and secure my firearm.

Anyways, I have all the paperwork all set for my RI Non-Res LTC. I just need a letter of intent, and get it notarized, then send it off.

If anyone has had any experiecn in the last 2.5 years with Ri Non Res and AG Lynch and his crew, I would appreciate knowing what you went through. And maybe a few tips as to what you put in your letter of intent...

note: i was the victim of a violent crime in RI (armed robery) a few months ago. I cant talk about it, since the case is ongoing, but I was wondering if this is a good enough reason, or if i should stay more "general" with "want to protect myself and family in todays f***ed up society" or what...

thanks everyone

2. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

From what I have heard getting a LTC in RI is hard for residents never mind non-residents. I have heard from people who work for security firms say that even their resident/non-resident LTC are restricted to job use. Now I am far from an expert but I have heard of a story of someone who has a LTC restricted to his job, but he is on call 27/7 and says he can prove it. I would love to get a LTC in RI because I can literally throw a stone into RI from my house but if denied it will get reported and I will have to show that on my MA LTC application.

3. Coastie2010

Coastie2010

This is from a PDF on the AG's website:
    So, they "shall issue" if you can demonstrate a "proper reason."

Any one know if "I live next to RI, carry all the time there,and don't want to have to take it off when I cross the border" is a "proper reason?"

4. jdubois

jdubois

My business partner is the only one I know of who got a RI non-res, and he said it was very difficult. He did finally get one, but it's restricted to work related purposes only.

5. plumber

plumber

What you quoted is 11-47-11 for which you have to reference 11-47-2 for issuing authorities (police chief except in Providence, Warwick, and Exeter ) and as a non-resident, you would have to own a business or have strong ties to that town to apply there. The AG is more likely to issue a non-resident permit as per 11-47-18, but he has all the discretion in the world.

6. plumber

plumber

What you quoted is 11-47-11 for which you have to reference 11-47-2 for issuing authorities (police chief except in Providence, Warwick, and Exeter ) and as a non-resident, you would have to own a business or have strong ties to that town to apply there. The AG is more likely to issue a non-resident permit as per 11-47-18, but he has all the discretion in the world.

7. Scrivener

Scrivener Banned

I have a NR license and I obtained one for a client who did urban renewal; i.e., the classic businessman carrying cash in the course of business standard.

I've also been unable to get one for NR's who did not have such a clear case of meeting an arcane standard.

8. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

that was going to be my reasoning, too, but I was told it would not fly....

9. 30 cal slut

30 cal slut NES Member

i got mine, unrestricted.

the trick is to follow the application instructions to the letter.

the folks at

http://forum.cralri.com/

might be able to provide some guidance to you.

10. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

For those who did not get the memo, Scriv is a member of the RI bar as well as MA.

11. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

they still require qualification shooting?

12. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

also, wht was your reasoning on your application?

and did you apply to the AG or to a town PD?

13. rg1283

rg1283

D/C ed

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  14. DISTINGUISHED PISTOL SHOT

DISTINGUISHED PISTOL SHOT

I got and renewed several RI LTC's. As I recall, it was more difficult than some States, but it was straight-forward and not way over the top.

15. RG617

RG617

The big question is was this a license as a resident or as a non-resident? I live in southern Mass. and go to RI pretty frequently. Knowig that Providence is a pretty... unsavory place when it comes to personal safety, I'd love the ability to carry there. I'm just not sure if it's something available to me. Kind of ironic to feel you don't meet a carry standard by another state, being from MA. and all. Cali and NJ, sure... but RI.? Surprising.

16. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

The Rhode Island permit system is more confusing than Massachusetts. Where MA has Red/Green, RI has a ternary system:
    [​IMG]

While in theory a non-resident can apply to a town in RI, I don't know of any towns where they will process a non-resident permit?

17. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

Return of the Living Zombie Thread….

18. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

And in three years, nobody has answered my question. In theory a non-resident can apply to a town in RI, which towns will process a non-resident permit?

19. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

So far as anyone knows, none. Theoretically, any tow could process it but I have never, ever heard of one doing so. They are all as ignorant of the law as most anyone else.

If they were smart, a hurting town could make themselves the Mecca of out-of-state permits and make a fortune. It's a minimal amount of work, especially if they require a home-state permit and at $40 a piece, could make many thousands of dollars. And that is if they don't want to tack on an illegal administrative fee, which I am sure no one would bat an eye at.

Sorry, you are off to the AG.

20. boscru

boscru NES Member

ok so what do I do? I now find my self in a situation where I have to go to the isle of Rhodes monthly

do I apply to the a.g.'s office for a non res? will it be approved? don't need it for work, just personal protection which I have in mass

searched the clalri forum and found only questions no replies

jstn---saw your posts there did you try to get one?????

21. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

A possibility is those that have done this don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. I've been told things like "Some of the towns do it if you beg, but they don't like word getting out because they don't want an influx of people running in and applying for town licenses because its a pain in the ass for them". Makes it sound as though you won't get much traction unless you have "business" in the place where you're applying.

-Mike

22. boscru

boscru NES Member

ok I see where you're going with that

thanx for the reply

23. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Do you work in the same town in RI every month? If it's the same place you might be able to go to the PD and talk to someone about getting a license. Can't hurt anything to try.

-Mike

24. newportri

newportri

From the Scituate application:
    You could also request the applications from the other green towns and see what they say. Your best bet is probably to apply in a green town that you visit frequently.

25. DISTINGUISHED PISTOL SHOT

DISTINGUISHED PISTOL SHOT

I had RI...NR...LTC for many years, to include under AG Pine. Nothing unusual as I recall, as long as procedure and application were followed. And this was before JBT Status.

26. memyselfandi

memyselfandi

Has anybody received a non resident permit from a town in the past year or so? If so, which town? I want to apply in the near future for a non resident Rhode Island permit. I am debating applying first for a C&R license, since that is "good cause" to be licensed in Rhode Island. Is it worth the trouble or likely to help?

27. TaxMan

TaxMan

How do you get:
    FINGERPRINT APPLICANT CARD [FD-258 (Rev. 12-29-82) to be included with the application?

28. Swamp_Yankee

Swamp_Yankee

You go to the station if it is a Town or the BCI if it is the AG and they run your fingerprints. BCI charges $15? Not sure about the towns.

29. TaxMan

TaxMan

Thanks for the info. Now I gotta find a BCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

You can go to the RI Attorney General office BCI division (the window to the right as you enter the office). Address is 150 South Main St. Providence. They will do the fingerprinting for you, and give you the necessary cards. Just tell them you are applying for a town pistol permit, and you need the fingerprints for the application. No appointment necessary.

The fee is $35, payable by check only.