• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Non Resident

Hey everyone,

Has anyone had any luck recently (past month or so) in applying for and receiving an RI Non Resident carry permit?

On a side note, I read on CRALRI.com that the new Chief in Woonsocket (my hometown originally) is good at issuing (for residents anyway); is it possible to apply to the Chief of a town or are they required to tell non residents to go to the AG?
Thanks everyone.

I just moved this (leaving the redirect in GD) to the Gun Laws forum where it belongs.

If you do an advanced Search here, I think the answer can be found wrt NR procedure for RI. I don't recall the correct answer myself, so I'm not going to try to answer your question. That search should also unearth at least one person here on the forum with expertise on RI's process for NR CCW issuance.

Also, we have sub-forums now for most of the Northeast's gun rights groups. There should be a pointer to the RI group and you might find the info on their website.

Good luck.

No apology required. Not a big deal and I can understand why someone would post the question in GD. Just if we keep all the gun law discussions in one forum, it makes searching for info a bit easier, in spite of the poor search engine that is part of the forum software.

To your topic, I'm curious if you find any info on what the RI perception is on CCW for the next term (when newly elected officials take office). If you find anything out, please post it here in your thread. Thanks.

USMA,

I'm still waiting on my Mass LTC (applied a few weeks ago so i still got my fingers crossed), but if/when i receive it, i'd like to apply in RI right away.
Did they have any outlandish requirements besides what is on the AG site? How long did it take? and did they seem to be very selective or were they easy to work with. Obviously the fear here is once rejected, gotta note it on everything in the future.

Thanks again.[grin]

USMA: are they still being very selective issuing to non-residents? Could you share with us what sort of justification you used on your application?

RI Non-res permit.

We were just discussing the RI non-resident permit at dinner last night. One of our regulars has had one for several years now. He is also an NRA certified instructor and can facilitate the "range requirement" portion of the process. We also stock the required target type at our club just for this use since they are not a very common target.
Non-res applications go to the RI AG who normally rejects them unless someone has what he considers a very good reason. You can appeal the rejection and he has been known to be convinced to over rule himself and issue the license after appeal.

Well, I had a bit of an advantage (but it bit me in the ass, too) - I work in Seekonk, right next to the RI border, and many of our customers are in Rhode Island. I was therefore able to justify needing the license because I never knew when I would be required to be in the state on business (construction supplies).

I applied by printing out the determination factors listed in the AG's guidance letter, and then answered them one-by-one. I then had to set up the range qualification with an NRA-certified instructor (no problem), and get the picture and fingerprints (local PD). I completed the package with every training certificate, letter of recommendation, license credentials I could dig up.

Got a notice in the mail within about 3 weeks that my license was approved, and that I could come to Providence to pick it up.

The only problem was that it was restricted to "work purposes only." Now, since I am salaried, and basically subject to emergency calls from customers 24/7, I guess that means all the time..... But it's too bad they had to put any restriction on it.

Anyway - at least I got it. It completes my collection of carry licenses from all the New England states (except VT, of course).

If you need more info, or would like some additional assistance, please ask.

IPSCDRL is talking about the Hopkinton Sportsmens Association - http://www.hsasports.com

RI range tests are available by appt (weekends or evenings). The range test requires a 25 yard range, as we don't play games like pretending the 50 ft indoor range is 25 yards, so this means daylight only.

The target is rare because there is little demand for targets with such a large bullseye (NRA B-22 a/k/a "Army L")

Well, I had a bit of an advantage (but it bit me in the ass, too) - I work in Seekonk, right next to the RI border, and many of our customers are in Rhode Island. I was therefore able to justify needing the license because I never knew when I would be required to be in the state on business (construction supplies).

I applied by printing out the determination factors listed in the AG's guidance letter, and then answered them one-by-one. I then had to set up the range qualification with an NRA-certified instructor (no problem), and get the picture and fingerprints (local PD). I completed the package with every training certificate, letter of recommendation, license credentials I could dig up.

Got a notice in the mail within about 3 weeks that my license was approved, and that I could come to Providence to pick it up.

The only problem was that it was restricted to "work purposes only." Now, since I am salaried, and basically subject to emergency calls from customers 24/7, I guess that means all the time..... But it's too bad they had to put any restriction on it.

Anyway - at least I got it. It completes my collection of carry licenses from all the New England states (except VT, of course).

If you need more info, or would like some additional assistance, please ask.

What do you think the chances of the RI AG accepting the following reason is? I live within pissing distance of Pawtucket ( I am in Attleboro) and as such my various travels find me crossing through sections of pawtucket at random times. Since I have a LTC-A UR in MA, I am applying for the same in RI as a non-resident to avoid any confusion if a situation where to arise.

Think they would like that or no?

Also, dont you have to qualify with the calibre you wish to have a permit for? Im still a horrible shot and am practicing with my .22, but dont want to have to wait until I pick up a .40 before I apply......

I doubt it.

Not quite. You can carry any caliber equal to or smaller than the caliber you qualified with.

1. balls, I knew it. what does their AG accept as acceptable answers?!?!

2. Thats what I meant, but was trying to save typing out long sentences and shit (Im lazy)

Thanks to Rob, I also have a supply of the targets available at Westford for anyone who wants to get the qualification done. The 25yd range means daylight only here as well.

Ken

BA2:

I'm afraid your reason wouldn't cut it. Since RI has an allowance for folks without an RI license to "pass through" (staying in your car while carrying, and not stopping), you're covered there. The problem, of course, is if you have to - or want to - stop somewhere.

Go to the website referenced earlier in the thread, and read through the AG's "determining factors" for an RI license. Make your decision on whether to apply or not based on those questions. Without a work-related reason, it might be difficult to swing.

Good Luck!

1. balls, I knew it. what does their AG accept as acceptable answers?!?!

I know a fellow who sells commercial music equipment to nightclubs. He has to visit them, often late at night, and was once beaten badly enough to require hospitalization. He has an RI non-resident permit.

Hmm, I actually have the app all filled out since 2006, but never submitted it or took the quals. I work in the medical field, servicing computers and carrying medical equipment in RI, often late at night. I wonder if that would fly.

Back
Top Bottom