RI non resident license

Just wondering if anyone has ever applied for and received a RI non resident license. This may sound strange but I live in MA but have to pass through a portion of RI to get anywhere. I often think what would happen if I get stopped on my short journey through RI. I also have a RI mailing address which is handy for buying things online that are banned in MA.

Also there are threads on here about applying for a non resident license in RI. It's getting easier to do so.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

If you have a license from another state, you are allowed to carry while passing through Rhode island

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

In a locked box in the car or carrying loaded and concealed on your person? Can you stop for fuel/if you breakdown or nothing?

OP - I have a non-resident RI license. I got it for similar reasons as I find myself in RI quite often. There was lots of paperwork and a pre-qual live fire but overall it wasn't the horror story I had heard. Maybe I just got lucky? I found everyone I contacted willing to help with the process. Do you have any specific questions?

Just wondering if anyone has ever applied for and received a RI non resident license. This may sound strange but I live in MA but have to pass through a portion of RI to get anywhere. I often think what would happen if I get stopped on my short journey through RI. I also have a RI mailing address which is handy for buying things online that are banned in MA.

Last edited:
In a locked box in the car or carrying loaded and concealed on your person? Can you stop for fuel/if you breakdown or nothing?

The law says transport. But I have heard that someone in the RI government has given guidance that they consider carry upon your person to be legal if you are passing through. Like if you are going to the Cape and going through RI to get there. Or if you have a weekend home in CT and are passing through RI on the way there.

Can anyone provide any additional info on the whole transport vs carry question?
Please provide citations of guidance or case law if possible.

Thanks,

Don

"Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach."

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Be careful out there.

The law says transport. But I have heard that someone in the RI government has given guidance that they consider carry upon your person to be legal if you are passing through. Like if you are going to the Cape and going through RI to get there. Or if you have a weekend home in CT and are passing through RI on the way there.

Can anyone provide any additional info on the whole transport vs carry question?
Please provide citations of guidance or case law if possible.

Thanks,

Don

Yes, I have a letter from the RI BCI (they handle RI NR Licenses) stating that CCW as long as you don't stop in RI is AOK.

I keep a printed copy in my truck...

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-8.HTM
[FONT=&amp]

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. –
(a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] (b) No person shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any sawed-off shotgun or sawed-off rifle as defined in § 11-47-2. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for up to ten (10) years, or by a fine of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000), or both.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] (c) No person shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any firearm while the person delivers, possesses with intent to deliver, or manufactures a controlled substance. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two (2) years nor more than twenty (20) years, and the sentence shall be consecutive to any sentence the person may receive for the delivery, possession with intent to deliver, or the manufacture of the controlled substance. It shall not be a defense to a violation of this subsection that a person has a license or permit to carry or possess a firearm.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1927, ch. 1052, § 4; G.L. 1938, ch. 404, § 4; G.L. 1956, § 11-47-5; G.L., § 11-47-8; P.L. 1959, ch. 75, § 1; P.L. 1968, ch. 183, § 3; P.L. 1974, ch. 184, § 1; P.L. 1975, ch. 278, § 1; P.L. 1988, ch. 389, § 1; P.L. 1991, ch. 227, § 1; P.L. 1992, ch. 422, § 1; P.L. 1992, ch. 460, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 109, § 11.)[/FONT]

So just to put a point on it. Based on Len's letter and the citation provided mbullism, you are legal to CARRY (that means loaded on your person) through RI without a RI carry permit when passing through to a place from where it is legal to carry to a place where it is legal to carry.

Implicit in all of this is that it legal to transport also.

Agreed?

Don

It depends on your definition of "merely transporting" is... I'd put more weight in Lens letter, frankly, as the statute as written could be interpreted to mean the other states license must allow "X" within that other state to merely transport in RI (a copy of FOPA)... I've interpreted it differently. It is my understanding this is because RI recognizes FOPA, and really doesn't want people pulling over and unloading and locking all along it's borders (and the reverse on the other end) if they simply will be in their vehicle crossing the state with limited contact with anyone.

I think the key is in the preceding verbiage where it outlines what is required to carry in RI, and that it then excludes other license holders from those provisions under limited circumstances...

No person shall, without a license or permit ...carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed... The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state

IANAL [wink]

Last edited:
Two things:

1. There is no such thing as a RI non-resident license. Non-residents go through the same process as residents and will apply with either a town/city or the RI AG. I would suggest applying to a town/city since those permits are "shall issue" and are generally easier to get.

2. Len, the BCI Division does not technically handle carry permits totally. They screen applicants before the final decision goes literally upstairs to the Deputy AG and/or the AG. Or so I was told by a Deputy AG when I asked him in person a couple years ago.

Thanks for all the help. I think I may apply for the NR license anyway.

It would be wise. If you get a RI AG permit, you'd be able to open carry legally (people will look at you funny). If you get a town permit, you'll be fine too, just no OC.

Keep in mind, you have to physically pick up a permit from whoever you apply to. So if you live in Attleboro, apply with say Cumberland or Woonsocket or Lincoln or Pawtucket or CF.

Two things:

2. Len, the BCI Division does not technically handle carry permits totally. They screen applicants before the final decision goes literally upstairs to the Deputy AG and/or the AG. Or so I was told by a Deputy AG when I asked him in person a couple years ago.

Back in 2003 I sent a letter to the RI AG asking a very specific question wrt possession of a handgun in luggage (return from airport) in car while having dinner in a RI restaurant (Rte. 1 after leaving TF Green) on the way home from a late arrival by air. Instead of a direct answer I received a letter from the chief of BCI telling me about the travel exemption (which didn't answer my question).

It would be wise. If you get a RI AG permit, you'd be able to open carry legally (people will look at you funny). If you get a town permit, you'll be fine too, just no OC.

Keep in mind, you have to physically pick up a permit from whoever you apply to. So if you live in Attleboro, apply with say Cumberland or Woonsocket or Lincoln or Pawtucket or CF.

Heck, RI is such a small state that even traveling to Westerly from Attleboro is less than an hour trip. Just driving from one side of Boston to the other side of Boston can take you that long!!!

Back in 2003 I sent a letter to the RI AG asking a very specific question wrt possession of a handgun in luggage (return from airport) in car while having dinner in a RI restaurant (Rte. 1 after leaving TF Green) on the way home from a late arrival by air. Instead of a direct answer I received a letter from the chief of BCI telling me about the travel exemption (which didn't answer my question).

Heck, RI is such a small state that even traveling to Westerly from Attleboro is less than an hour trip. Just driving from one side of Boston to the other side of Boston can take you that long!!!

What BCI does is conduct background checks on people. A police chief will contact BCI before approving/denying an application and BCI will screen applicants applying for a AG permit.

BCI is a permanent office of the AG's office. The AG is personally an elected politician. Deputy AGs are high ranking prosecutors who review AG permit applications.

BCI will look at an application, but they don't have final say in terms of who gets what for permits. That's why the number of people who have AG carry permits varies between administration. Certain AGs will have different issuing policies. BCI is simply a part of the AG's office.

I often think what would happen if I get stopped on my short journey through RI.
While conventional wisdom is don't talk to police, the proper words are "I have a MA LTC and am passing through RI without intent to detain or delay myself". That is the only purpose allowed under a very limited reciprocity provision of RI law.

To the OP....I just obtained my RI CCW license in RI through my hometown in Johnston. During the process, the detective I dealt with was very helpful in assisting me, and offered some insight.

He told me as long as someone holds a valid permit in any other state, the town of Johnston will issue you a non-res permit with identical restrictions as your home state permit. Johnston isn't too far from Attleboro. If you apply through them, you will get it. He also advised to never apply through AG because denial is more likely, and once you are denied once it is harder to then apply through a town and get approved. So unless open carry is very important to you, just apply through a town. I also got mine with no restrictions, hope this helps!!

Last edited:
If Johnston is issuing to non-residents, I suggest anyone interested apply ASAP. It's only a matter of time before the demand from MA residents on a cooperative RI town causes them to rethink their hospitality.

I'm happy to hear this is apparently easier than previously. I live right on the border, and never applied through the AG because I didnt want to have to answer "yes" to "have you ever been denied" on my other renewals... with the carry through it wasn't/isn't that big a deal, and I go out of my way to not have any reason to visit or spend a nickel within RI because of it [rolleyes]

It's at least worth reconsidering I guess

This is great information. I spend some time on the RIFOL forums and LTC issuance policies vary widely from town to town. There are a couple of court decisions which have forced towns that used to refuse to issue even to their own residents. Some of the towns make it almost impossible, others are reasonable. It's funny, but I've never read anything about Johnston at all.

LenS's information on non resident permits is out of date. While the AG can, but usually won't, issue NR permits, the towns are free to do so.

A court decision from the RI Supreme Court specifies 90 days for permit issuance, but many towns drag the process out for up to a year.

To the OP....I just obtained my RI CCW license in RI through my hometown in Johnston. During the process, the detective I dealt with was very helpful in assisting me, and offered some insight.

He told me as long as someone holds a valid permit in any other state, the town of Johnston will issue you a non-res permit with identical restrictions as your home state permit. Johnston isn't too far from Attleboro. If you apply through them, you will get it. He also advised to never apply through AG because denial is more likely, and once you are denied once it is harder to then apply through a town and get approved. So unless open carry is very important to you, just apply through a town. I also got mine with no restrictions, hope this helps!!

Might as well apply, as long as you have no dis-qualifiers and a valid carry license in any other state its worth the $40 to be able to stop your car, get out, and carry just like you could in your home state. That's $10 per year, no brainer!!

BTW, it took 8 days for them to process my app and put my CCW license in my hand.

Here is the thread i started documenting my process:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/298554-Johnston-RI-concealed-carry-permit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom