RI non resident license

If Johnston is issuing to non-residents, I suggest anyone interested apply ASAP. It's only a matter of time before the demand from MA residents on a cooperative RI town causes them to rethink their hospitality.

Do you have any documentation that towns are going to do this? Because everyone says that Tiverton will eventually do this, but no substantial proof of such happenings has occurred.

Johnston really should not be getting any out of state applications because Johnston borders no other state unless someone lives in say CT and works in Johnston. The one guy on here who applied is from Rhode Island now and lists Rhode Island as his location for his handle on here. It is logical to apply to a border town if you're from Mass (FR/NB guys would apply to Tiverton or Bristol or Warren or EP or Providence, NE Connecticut guys would apply to Foster or Coventry or Burrillville or Glocester, etc.).

Towns have a duty to process out of state applications, just like the attorney general. Use common sense when it comes to applying - don't go nuts and apply to New Shoreham just because you can.

Edit: 8 days is not an incredible turn around time for RI carry permits - my dad got his from Tiverton in six or seven.

Last edited:
Do you have any documentation that towns are going to do this? Because everyone says that Tiverton will eventually do this, but no substantial proof of such happenings has occurred.
Just intuition, and a keen sense that public servants do not like to take on extra work.

RI is a tiny state, and it is practical for the MA resident who wants a LTC to drive to the most accommodating town, rather than ineffectively argue with the PD in a bordering town about their duty.

Just intuition, and a keen sense that public servants do not like to take on extra work.

RI is a tiny state, and it is practical for the MA resident who wants a LTC to drive to the most accommodating town, rather than ineffectively argue with the PD in a bordering town about their duty.

If you're worried about town employees not doing their jobs, just apply to a town near you. Like Tiverton. Not Johnston.

Right, but by law a non res can apply to any town in RI so if a specific town is known to be issuing then I think most people would make the effort to apply through that town so they get their license with no run around. I was just giving insight to anyone who was on the fence, based on what the Johnston detective told me. To go even further....the detective told me they have people applying through Johnston PD who live in, say Pawtucket for example (who's PD is extremely difficult to deal with regarding CCW permits). These people get their Utah license, then apply through Johnston because now they have an out of state permit and Johnston will then issue them an RI license under those circumstances.

And to me, 8 days was phenomenally fast considering I have heard of many other RI residents applying in other towns and waiting an extremely long time. Even in MA, when I first applied for my LTC about 12 years ago, I waited about 2 months for it.

Johnston really should not be getting any out of state applications because Johnston borders no other state unless someone lives in say CT and works in Johnston. The one guy on here who applied is from Rhode Island now and lists Rhode Island as his location for his handle on here. It is logical to apply to a border town if you're from Mass (FR/NB guys would apply to Tiverton or Bristol or Warren or EP or Providence, NE Connecticut guys would apply to Foster or Coventry or Burrillville or Glocester, etc.).

Towns have a duty to process out of state applications, just like the attorney general. Use common sense when it comes to applying - don't go nuts and apply to New Shoreham just because you can.

Edit: 8 days is not an incredible turn around time for RI carry permits - my dad got his from Tiverton in six or seven.

Its more logical to apply to a town that you know will not screw you over. Rhode Island is small enough you can get from top to bottom in no time at all. Id rather drive to Warwick than North Providence if Warwick was better at issuing.

Right, but by law a non res can apply to any town in RI so if a specific town is known to be issuing then I think most people would make the effort to apply through that town so they get their license with no run around. I was just giving insight to anyone who was on the fence, based on what the Johnston detective told me. To go even further....the detective told me they have people applying through Johnston PD who live in, say Pawtucket for example (who's PD is extremely difficult to deal with regarding CCW permits). These people get their Utah license, then apply through Johnston because now they have an out of state permit and Johnston will then issue them an RI license under those circumstances.

And to me, 8 days was phenomenally fast considering I have heard of many other RI residents applying in other towns and waiting an extremely long time. Even in MA, when I first applied for my LTC about 12 years ago, I waited about 2 months for it.

I was kind of dumbstruck by this, but it is legal.

[FONT=&amp]The licensing authorities of any city or town shall, upon application of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence or place of business within the city or town, or of any person twenty-one (21) years of age or over having a bona fide residence within the United States and a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person issued by the authorities of any other state or subdivision of the United States[/FONT]

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-11.HTM

FYI - RIFOL reports that many shitbird towns are getting their act together, like Lincoln.

- - - Updated - - -

Its more logical to apply to a town that you know will not screw you over. Rhode Island is small enough you can get from top to bottom in no time at all. Id rather drive to Warwick than North Providence if Warwick was better at issuing.

Warwick is not. That's why I said use common sense. You people clearly missed that point.

I was kind of dumbstruck by this, but it is legal.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-11.HTM

FYI - RIFOL reports that many shitbird towns are getting their act together, like Lincoln.

- - - Updated - - -

Warwick is not. That's why I said use common sense. You people clearly missed that point.

No, youmissed mty point. My point is that with it being a small enough state and PDs still not complying that the "go to the closest one" isn't great advice. Warwick versus East Providence was just a example to demonstrate travel, nothing else. Perhaps you prefer Cumberland versus Johnston to illustrate travel? Or will you still miss my point? In the end, go to a pD that you know will issue, not the closest one. However, it looks that with PDs coming around, the closest one may eventually be a fine choice in terms of issuance.

I don't think "closest" has any advantage. We used to advise to pick a town that you had some relationship with, work there, own property, have relatives there, etc. The thinking was it would work in your favor with the police chief.

I don't know if that matters much anymore, clearly some towns issue more readily than others, so it makes sense to go to a town that will issue.

But by all means, use some common sense, and play nice with those towns that are doing it right. Treat them with due respect, and don't be a pest. And if you feel you were treated well (it does happen), make sure to tell them and say thank you.

No, youmissed mty point. My point is that with it being a small enough state and PDs still not complying that the "go to the closest one" isn't great advice. Warwick versus East Providence was just a example to demonstrate travel, nothing else. Perhaps you prefer Cumberland versus Johnston to illustrate travel? Or will you still miss my point? In the end, go to a pD that you know will issue, not the closest one. However, it looks that with PDs coming around, the closest one may eventually be a fine choice in terms of issuance.

That's what I'm getting at here. There's simply no reason to drive to Johnston when towns like Burrillville, North Smithfield, Cumberland, now Lincoln and Tiverton and probably Little Compton all border or are near Mass and all issue permits in reasonable, lawful times.

I don't think "closest" has any advantage. We used to advise to pick a town that you had some relationship with, work there, own property, have relatives there, etc. The thinking was it would work in your favor with the police chief.

I don't know if that matters much anymore, clearly some towns issue more readily than others, so it makes sense to go to a town that will issue.

But by all means, use some common sense, and play nice with those towns that are doing it right. Treat them with due respect, and don't be a pest. And if you feel you were treated well (it does happen), make sure to tell them and say thank you.

This also. Telling outsiders who have no connection to a town to all go to that town and apply is making yourselves an annoyance. One, two guys a year? No problem. 30, 40? The town will make it a problem especially if they create a log-jam for residents.

Unless I am missing something, RI does not require a license to simply possess a long gun or a handgun, so transport unloaded in a case should be fine by anyone who is not a PP.

This is correct. i don't know about their transport requirements. But its safe to say if its stored the way FOPA requires, you are good.

Don

This is correct. i don't know about their transport requirements. But its safe to say if its stored the way FOPA requires, you are good.

Don

For long guns, transport unloaded with no rounds in magazines is OK.

For handguns, transport only to and from a bona-fide range, to or from a FFL when buying or selling, to/from a gunsmith, and a couple of other exceptions (see the statutes below).

Hope that helps...

§ 11-47-9 Persons exempt from restrictions. – (a) The provisions of § 11-47-8 shall not apply to sheriffs; deputy sheriffs; the superintendent and members of the state police; members of the Rhode Island airport police department; members of the Rhode Island state marshals; Rhode Island state fire marshal; chief deputy state fire marshals; deputy state fire marshals assigned to the bomb squad, and those assigned to the investigation unit; Providence fire department arson investigators, provided that the investigator receiving the permit is a graduate of a police-training academy; correctional officers, within the department of corrections; members of the city or town police force; capitol police investigators of the department of attorney general appointed pursuant to § 42-9-8.1; the witness protection coordinator for the witness protection review board as set forth in chapter 30 of title 12 and subject to the minimum qualifications of § 42-9-8.1; automobile theft investigators of the Rhode Island state police pursuant to § 31-50-1; railroad police while traveling to and from official assignments or while on assignments; conservation officers; or other duly appointed law enforcement officers; nor to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps of the United States, the National Guard, or organized reserves, when on duty; nor to members of organizations by law authorized to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this state, provided these members are at, or going to or from, their places of assembly or target practice; nor to officers or employees of the United States authorized by law to carry a concealed firearm; nor to any civilian guard or criminal investigator carrying sidearms or a concealed firearm in the performance of his or her official duties under the authority of the commanding officer of the military establishment in the state of Rhode Island where he or she is employed by the United States; nor to any civilian guard carrying sidearms or a concealed firearm in the performance of his or her official duties under the authority of the adjutant general where he or she is employed guarding a national guard facility, provided, that the commanding officer of the military establishment shall have on file with the attorney general of this state a list of the names and addresses of all civilian guards and criminal investigators so authorized; nor to duly authorized military organizations when on duty; nor to members when at, or going to or from, their customary places of assembly; nor to any individual employed in the capacity of warden, associate warden, major, captain, lieutenant, sergeant, correctional officer or investigator at any project owned or operated by a municipal detention facility corporation, including the Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility; nor to the regular and/or ordinary transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise; nor to any person while transporting a pistol, or revolvers, unloaded from the place of purchase to their residence; or place of business, from their residence to their place of business or from their place of business to their residence, or to a federal firearms licensee for the purpose of sale, to or from a bona fide gunsmith, or firearms repair facility, to any police station or other location designated as a site of a bona fide "gun buy-back" program, but only if said pistol or revolver is unloaded and any ammunition for said pistol or revolver is not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such vehicle while transporting same and further provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm or the ammunition shall be stored in a locked container.

§ 11-47-10 License or permit not required to carry to target range. – No license or permit shall be required for the purpose of carrying or transporting any pistol or revolver from one's home or place of business to a bona fide target practice range, nor from a bona fide target practice range to one's home or place of business, to engage in any shoot meet, or practice, provided that the pistol or revolver is broken down, unloaded and carried as openly as circumstances will permit, or provided that the pistols or revolvers are unloaded and secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose.

Back
Top Bottom