RI law revisions

I do not see much here that might benefit a non-resident license holder. The renewal process with the AG is as burdensome as before: a letter showing need, an instructor sign off on a live fire qualification - 30 rounds on a Army Y target, multiple notarizations of various documents, etc. Isn't this the same as it always has been or am I missing something?

I guess I could see having to go through all those hoops once on an initial issue but for renewals, too? It seems way over the top and it creates several unnecessary obstacles to our non resident Second Amendment rights. No other New England state (CT, NH or ME) is so burdensome. I can do all those renewals simply by sending in a check and the new license will arrive back by mail in just a week or two. Maybe RI should learn from that.

It's definitely time for nationwide reciprocity!

Last edited:
Does this mean I should not go to the AG to renew the permit I've has since 1992 [rolleyes]

Well obviously that is different my friend...I am referring to new applicants wanting to get one. Applying through PD's is a much better approach, since PD's are "shall issue". With the exception of a handful of towns that still deny perfectly suitable applicants and are repeatedly losing in court decisions.

Back
Top Bottom