RI "high" capacity magazine ban lawsuit question

Ahhhhhhhh ... that is really a shame ... I know that the judge is an Obama appointee, so we didn't need additional challenges. Hopefully the SCOTUS guidance from Bruen will still carry the day. This law seems wrong on so many levels that I find it difficult to see how they can let it stand ... but it wouldn't be the first time.

The brief was terrible and full of factual errors. They should have consulted with Firearms Policy Coalition or the Second Amendment Foundation before filing. Sloppy mistakes can be costly.

Very true. Nothing worse than bad precedent. RI really put forth a poorly written law that should've been fully taken apart but it seems they were left off the hook.

Is there any way of getting a notification when an opinion on a given case is published? I'm assuming that we should hear on this one in the next couple of weeks ... the Sunday after next is the 18th and I think that marks 180 days. Just curious.

Is there any way of getting a notification when an opinion on a given case is published? I'm assuming that we should hear on this one in the next couple of weeks ... the Sunday after next is the 18th and I think that marks 180 days. Just curious.
That's the date I've been told we will hear something.
The judge assigned is anti-gun. Rumor is that he will let the new law stand and let it go to the supreme court who says they do not want to hear any more gun cases.

If there are so many challenges to unjust gun laws maybe they need to put a stop to all this bullshit.

This could be why the judge is waiting so long to let the clock run out and let this garbage law have more legs. But wouldn't it then move to the 1st circuitif it were left to stand and then was appealed by our side? I'm pretty sure the 1st circuit (which I believe RI falls under) already has cases like this going on currently. Edit, I meant 1st circuit not district

Last edited:
Yes, RI is in the first circuit and I would suspect that MA doesn't want to see RIs law go further than the RI Disctrict, but they probably have no say in the matter. The thing with this is that they win if this goes to the Circuit or even SCOTUS even if they lose there. They will have caused irreparable harm in RI and that is what they are trying to do. McConnell in the RI District has to know what ultimately is going to happen, so if he lets it go on some BS argument like "this court has no jurisdiction" here, then he is just being partisan. This particular law is flawed on so many levels, the only way it can stand is if the courts just pretend. On the other hand, maybe he is taking his time to write it up carefully. Only time will tell, but I'm suspecting we won't see anything until Friday the 16th ...

CC

The brief was terrible and full of factual errors. They should have consulted with Firearms Policy Coalition or the Second Amendment Foundation before filing. Sloppy mistakes can be costly.
Nothing in the brief or during arguments was going to sway this Irish Southie of a judge's decision. The bottom line is that interest or merits have no basis in 2nd Amendment cases, it is now simply based on text, history, and tradition at the ratification of the 2nd and 14th amendment.

Had semi automatic firearms and detachable magazines existed at that time, there wouldn't be any prohibition on them.

Nothing in the brief or during arguments was going to sway this Irish Southie of a judge's decision. The bottom line is that interest or merits have no basis in 2nd Amendment cases, it is now simply based on text, history, and tradition at the ratification of the 2nd and 14th amendment.

Had semi automatic firearms and detachable magazines existed at that time, there wouldn't be any prohibition on them.
I fully expect the 1st circuit to uphold this. SCOTUS is the only hope.

There is no history or tradition at all for limiting magazines. RI had a mag limit of 12 from 1927-1959 and 14 rounds from 1959-1975.

The lower court judges know this, they just don’t care.

I fully expect the 1st circuit to uphold this. SCOTUS is the only hope.

There is no history or tradition at all for limiting magazines. RI had a mag limit of 12 from 1927-1959 and 14 rounds from 1959-1975.

The lower court judges know this, they just don’t care.
If there was one message I took away from Bruen it was that SCOTUS was not pleased with how its Heller decision was being ignored.

I dont think it will be happy with Bruen also being ignored and I dont subscribe to the opinion that Scotus is now going to do another 10 year long stretch of cert denials, not when Bruen so perfectly paved the way for them to go beyond just concealed carry.

Whats interesting is that the Oregon law seems to be slapped down by their liberal judges. It does look like there is a circuit split coming quickly and forcing the issue to the Scotus on these issues.

The clown POS activist judge wouldn't have cared unfortunately. He is an Obama progressive activist shit turd of a judge and was going to rule the way he ruled regardless.
I think that the fact that he waited until the 10th anniversary of the Newton shooting to publish his little op ed is data that this is exactly the case. I find that sad.

Can't wait to see what these dumb f*** legislators will do next year !!!! Time to throw some tea in the harbor !!!!!!!

This is Rhode Island we're talking about.
Lol. I don't know, I remember hearing in history class that the people who were involved in burning the Gaspee in Warwick were the same people responsible for throwing the tea in harbor in Boston. So either Mass came down to RI or RI went up to Mass

Loose lips sink ships. Regardless of what the district court douchebag ruled this case was going to go to the 1st Circuit and that's where everyone on NES should want it to go considering the states the 1st Circuit has jurisdiction over in a post Bruen world. Adding to the council during this appeal is the proper move and time to pull out the "big guns" so to speak.

So, keep stuff close to the vest @dhuze

I'm not sure how much info I can give out, but the ruling is going to be sent to the circuit court of appeals. There is new co-council from NY v Bruen. There is more info, but I'm not sure what should be divulged as of yet.
Yeah that’s not a secret anymore than a yellow light is about to turn red as district court cases get appealed to the circuit court of appeals.

Loose lips sink ships. Regardless of what the district court douchebag ruled this case was going to go to the 1st Circuit and that's where everyone on NES should want it to go considering the states the 1st Circuit has jurisdiction over in a post Bruen world. Adding to the council during this appeal is the proper move and time to pull out the "big guns" so to speak.

So, keep stuff close to the vest @dhuze
That’s not a secret. Anyone can log on to pacer and see all the court filings.

Counsel was absolutely atrocious and said god awful nonsense in their filings.

It was logical that someone from FPC of SAF would have to step in and help save this dumpster fire.

Back
Top Bottom