RI Gun Laws

Thanks so much for your response, Chuck! While I would really like to believe it's within my rights, I've heard from others who don't necessarily think so. Here's part of the section within the RI law that makes them feel that way:

§ 11-47-8. License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun.

(a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12, and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island.

The law seems to indicate that it's ok for someone to have a firearm at their house or place of business without a permit, and for someone with a permit from another state to drive through the state without stopping, but it doesn't necessarily seem to have a provision for someone with a permit from another state to drive into RI and stop there (other than at a gun range, which is covered in another section). As crazy as it seems, it looks like the only potential loophole might be to drive from MA to a gun range in RI, and then from that gun range to my home in RI! Clearly, there's something missing in the RI laws that would cover a case such as mine, and I'm having a hard time believing this hasn't been fully vetted before.

Frank

It is my understanding that Federal Law supercedes State Law. The federal law link which I sent you is designed for people to be able to transport their firearms in interstate transportation in a legal fashion providing that they follow the provisions of the law. Once again I am not a lawyer and this in only my interpretation of the law. If such a law did not exist nobody would be able to bring their guns anywhere outside of their state of residence unless they had a permit for every state they traveled through.

It is my understanding that Federal Law supercedes State Law. The federal law link which I sent you is designed for people to be able to transport their firearms in interstate transportation in a legal fashion providing that they follow the provisions of the law. Once again I am not a lawyer and this in only my interpretation of the law. If such a law did not exist nobody would be able to bring their guns anywhere outside of their state of residence unless they had a permit for every state they traveled through.

Thanks again, Chuck! I couldn't agree more.

Meanwhile, some good news today. After checking out the State of RI AG's page, and finding this: "Please note: the Office of Attorney General cannot provide you with legal advice or legal referrals. If you are seeking answers to legal questions, need someone to help you find a law or case, or need someone to take your case to court, you will need to find a private attorney."

...I figured I'd probably need to find myself an attorney if I wanted definitive answers to my questions regarding transporting a firearm from my home in MA, to my second home in RI.

As a last resort, last night I shot off an email to the general email address listed on Portsmouth's police department website, asking if they could clarify these questions for me (including whether I could transport a firearm from my home in RI to a gun range). Much to my pleasant surprise, I received a very nice email back this morning which said the following:

"Frank,

As long as you have your RI blue card you are allowed to transport your firearm unloaded, locked away and out of reach to and from the range. There is no issue with transporting your firearm from MA to your residence in RI. If you have any other questions just let me know or refer to RI Gen Laws 11-47.

Detective XXXX XXXXXXX
Portsmouth Police Department"

So, having this in writing from someone official in the Portsmouth PD is good enough for me!

Thanks again for your valuable input, Chuck.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom