RI Gun Laws

After researching packing.org and other sites i haven't found any definitive answer to this but if you could let me know your opinions and views it would be greatly appreciate:

I live in Mass and have applied for my LTC (in Tewksbury so i'll let you know how that goes if i get approved). My family lives in RI. I know i can travel through RI without making stops (like dinner, stores, etc); but can i travel straight to my families property for a visit? Obviously, if i decide to go out in RI after that, the firearm must be left behind (locked up of course). Thanks everyone.

Which town does you family reside? Some towns are actually following 11-47-11, which requires that permits be issued. However, most police departments continue to ignore the mandatory issuing of permits.

Which town does you family reside? Some towns are actually following 11-47-11, which requires that permits be issued. However, most police departments continue to ignore the mandatory issuing of permits.

glenn, i've also been searching for this on CRALRI.com and the town my family is in i have been told the Chief will issue. I'm going to try to meet with him to determine (or try to get a feeling) if he will issue to me. Something informal. It would really suck to get all the surrounding states (NH, ME, CT) and not be able to get RI. Dam legislation. Oh well, i'll keep ya posted.

glenn, i've also been searching for this on CRALRI.com and the town my family is in i have been told the Chief will issue. I'm going to try to meet with him to determine (or try to get a feeling) if he will issue to me. Something informal. It would really suck to get all the surrounding states (NH, ME, CT) and not be able to get RI. Dam legislation. Oh well, i'll keep ya posted.

It's not the legislation that is the problem. It's the police depeatments. Rhode Island is a "Shall Issue" state. The law, and case law are on our side. People just need to make an issue of it. The ones who have made a stink have had good results.

It sucks that you have to jump through hoops to get a permit in RI but eventually it will get better. Unlike in MA, the local police cheif in a RI town or city has little discretion over who is issued a permit.

Keep me posted.

Last edited:
Any good news?

Hey Everyone,

It's been about 3 years since this has been touched upon (in this particular thread) but has the process for an RI Non-Res permit improved with more permits being issued?

Shortly after my last post on this particular thread, I fell on some tough times personally and never managed to get to the Chief in the town where my family lives.

You will be directed to apply to the AG, statutory duties of the local chief to process licenses notwithstanding.

I am a new RI resident and do not yet own a gun but will apply for LTC. I have investigated the AFS course and membership, as well as Massasoit Gun Club, which is nearby. Any recommendations on training for RICCW closer to home than North Attleboro at AFS? Are there less expensive options?

Hey Everyone,

It's been about 3 years since this has been touched upon (in this particular thread) but has the process for an RI Non-Res permit improved with more permits being issued?

Shortly after my last post on this particular thread, I fell on some tough times personally and never managed to get to the Chief in the town where my family lives.

Been doing a little research, which brought me to this thread, above post was 3 years ago... So any updates? Looking to get my NR CCW in RI. What are the chances these days? I also read in this thread that you could go to a LPC and apply. Does that still hold true?

There has definitely been improvements in RI the last few years and most police departments now issues permits or at least have a process in place. The Chiefs in Bristol and Newport has recently been sued in RI Supreme Court over denials. In the Bristol case the court said the Chief had to either issue a permit or give a valid reason why a permit was not issued. The court has not taken up the Newport case yet.
These two cases were for residents, but the law (RIGL 11-47-11) also applies to non-residents if you have a permit from another state.

It allows someone in RI to purchase a handgun, it is not a carry permit.

More info here:http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/pisrecer.pdf

k thanks, I'm asking for a relative, they saw a American rifleman mag at my house today and asked if I had my blue card, I thought they were talking about a credit card [wink]. so anyway she lives in Warwick and is interested in getting permit, from the little research I did it seems some towns handle them and some refer to the AG. but the blue card is different altogether? I figured id just ask you guys and save some google time

k thanks, I'm asking for a relative, they saw a American rifleman mag at my house today and asked if I had my blue card, I thought they were talking about a credit card [wink]. so anyway she lives in Warwick and is interested in getting permit, from the little research I did it seems some towns handle them and some refer to the AG. but the blue card is different altogether? I figured id just ask you guys and save some google time
The blue card is easy to get, just take the multiple-guess test at any gun store. If you know which end the bullets come out, you will be fine. They will mail it in to DEM, and you get the card in a few days. A concealed carry permit, however, is a whole other ballgame.

So the way it is worded on the RI DEM site, it seems like anyone can get a blue card whether they live in RI or not. As for Warwick's $160 "processing fee", is that legal?

So the way it is worded on the RI DEM site, it seems like anyone can get a blue card whether they live in RI or not. As for Warwick's $160 "processing fee", is that legal?
Yes, I believe that's the case. Here is a study guide for the test: http://www.rigunblog.com/wp-content/...gun-Basics.pdf. I don't believe a non-resident can walk into a gun store and buy a handgun though, but I'm not totally sure on that. RIGL § 11-47-35 indicates the following:

Any citizen of the United States and/or lawful resident of this state who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, and any nonresident member of the armed forces of the United States who is stationed in this state and who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, may upon application purchase or acquire a pistol or revolver.

As for Warwick's $160 "processing fee", is that legal?
Maybe, maybe not. I don't think there is any case law on this. In RI, the police depts seem to do what ever they please with regard to gun permits, until they are hauled up short by being sued

Yes, I believe that's the case. Here is a study guide for the test: http://www.rigunblog.com/wp-content/...gun-Basics.pdf. I don't believe a non-resident can walk into a gun store and buy a handgun though, but I'm not totally sure on that. RIGL § 11-47-35 indicates the following:

Maybe but purchase of a handgun per FED Law mandates that the transfer be done at an FFL in the state of the NEW owner. So a blue card would be useless to NRs.

Thanks LenS, I'm glad you added that. I assumed that was the case, but I wasn't totally sure of the actual federal laws.

Of course I don't know how RI law would work if I came down there with my C&R FFL and tried to buy a C&R pistol (allowed under Fed law)? Would RI law mandate the blue card in this case or just treat it as an FFL to FFL transfer (what is done in Free States)?

Non resident open carry, legal or not? I think I actually may attempt to get a ri NR CCW finally..

From my dealings, it depends on the gun shop; most of them take the C&R to be a direct FFL to FFL transfer. YMMV, as with everything gun related in RI.

Thought I'd use this old thread for a question I have about transporting handguns into RI.

I own a home in RI, but my primary residence is in MA, where I hold a LTC. I'm working on trying to get a non-resident LTC in RI, but in the meantime, is it legal for me to transport a handgun from my home in MA to my home in RI, as long as I don't stop anywhere in RI along the way (assuming I keep the gun locked away in the trunk)? I'd like to be able to keep a gun at my home in RI while I'm there, and bring it back to MA when I'm not.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Edit: And FWIW, I have a blue card from RI, although that probably doesn't get me anything.

Last edited:
Thought I'd use this old thread for a question I have about transporting handguns into RI.

I own a home in RI, but my primary residence is in MA, where I hold a LTC. I'm working on trying to get a non-resident LTC in RI, but in the meantime, is it legal for me to transport a handgun from my home in MA to my home in RI, as long as I don't stop anywhere in RI along the way (assuming I keep the gun locked away in the trunk)? I'd like to be able to keep a gun at my home in RI while I'm there, and bring it back to MA when I'm not.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Edit: And FWIW, I have a blue card from RI, although that probably doesn't get me anything.

I am not a lawyer but I would say you would be legal doing this. You're legal where you are starting and legal at your destination.

Thanks so much for your response, Chuck! While I would really like to believe it's within my rights, I've heard from others who don't necessarily think so. Here's part of the section within the RI law that makes them feel that way:

§ 11-47-8. License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun.

(a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12, and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island.

The law seems to indicate that it's ok for someone to have a firearm at their house or place of business without a permit, and for someone with a permit from another state to drive through the state without stopping, but it doesn't necessarily seem to have a provision for someone with a permit from another state to drive into RI and stop there (other than at a gun range, which is covered in another section). As crazy as it seems, it looks like the only potential loophole might be to drive from MA to a gun range in RI, and then from that gun range to my home in RI! Clearly, there's something missing in the RI laws that would cover a case such as mine, and I'm having a hard time believing this hasn't been fully vetted before.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom