• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI Gun Bills House and Senate Judiciary hearing on May 1st and April 25th, 2013!

The House Bills were initially scheduled on April 24th and a pro gun rally was scheduled. As soon as the anti gun legislators found out, they moved the hearing out one week! The rally was also moved out one week to coincide with the House Judiciary hearing since the Senate is better on gun rights than the House.
Here are the bills that will be heard. Please let your legislators know what you think of the bills (there are actually a few pro gun bills in there).
AGENDA: SENATE COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY
AGENDA: HOUSE COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

The Rhode Island Second Amendment Coalition is also planning a BIG Rally on May 1st, so please be there.

Home Page

Interesting last night Looked like about 20-1 people against the bills AG office flunky was reamed and the committee did not like the idea of the AG being god for CCW permits. Seemed to like hearing the technical problems with the bills and seemed bored with the pro bill supporters with long drawn out numbers. What I thought from the committee was they wanted to find middle ground on a lot of what was proposed with the exception of the CCW bill and I don't believe there was going to be a lot of support for the assault rifle ban or the hicap mag either but as politicians they are liers by birth and profession.

Interesting last night Looked like about 20-1 people against the bills AG office flunky was reamed and the committee did not like the idea of the AG being god for CCW permits. Seemed to like hearing the technical problems with the bills and seemed bored with the pro bill supporters with long drawn out numbers. What I thought from the committee was they wanted to find middle ground on a lot of what was proposed with the exception of the CCW bill and I don't believe there was going to be a lot of support for the assault rifle ban or the hicap mag either but as politicians they are liers by birth and profession.

Is there somewhere I can listen to or watch what happened?

My luck would have it that I was on the LAST group (5 people) that were heard, at 0230 in the morning... It was a tough hearing, and there were a lot of testimonies based on emotions that were not relevant to the actial bills, and that includes from both sides.. It's really frustrating listening 25 minutes of worthless tesimony, and I can't believe the Chairperson didn't stop them.
There was this one guy from some MA anti gun organization that spent most of the time talking about the work they had done in MA and said they had put up a lot of bulletin boards along the interstates lately. What organization is he from, and can you please keep him in MA ;-)
He was describing how a bullet from an "assault rifle explodes" when it hits at 3000ftps, and how a pistol round traveling at 1000ftps does much less damage. Someone that doesn't know they are describing the effect of a certain caliber (.223 in this case), instead of a specific firearm, should not be allowed to testify...

The good news is that all the bills were held for further study, but this was expected on a hot topic like this. These bills will come back, and the committee will give their recommendation. This is the time to contact your legislators!

There was this one guy from some MA anti gun organization that spent most of the time talking about the work they had done in MA and said they had put up a lot of bulletin boards along the interstates lately. What organization is he from, and can you please keep him in MA ;-)
Stop Handgun Violence -- I don't know if it was John Rosenthal testifying, he's the big cheese there.

Here's the billboard near Fenway. I think they have changed it several times over the years. Rosenthal owns the parking garage where it's mounted.
billboard_1.jpg

Was the Mass guy the last speaker? Somebody mentioned the last speaker seemed to piss off the committee and if he was last and from out of state then he probably put the nail in the gun control coffin with that committee

Was the Mass guy the last speaker? Somebody mentioned the last speaker seemed to piss off the committee and if he was last and from out of state then he probably put the nail in the gun control coffin with that committee
The "Stop Handgun Violence" guy from MA was about 3 from the end, before newportri. He was fairly focused even though he was using statistics (AKA "lying"). The last guy was an older retired Air Force guy who told rambling tales of living in about 4 states. He didn't address the bills, which actually was a common theme for many of those testifying on both sides. I'm not sure what motivates someone to hang out for 8 hours just to tell tired war stories to a bunch of politicians.

It appears that all the bills in Senate have been "returned to committee for further study". From past experience this usually means that are dead for this particular session and won't reappear until next Feb. At that point, they most certainly will reappear. The House bills are still alive....

Back
Top Bottom