RI FTF sales law?

Did I read this right? Is it true that personal sales of pistols/revolvers must be registered with the PD on a state-supplied form?

I have a revolver that I'd like to sell and I want to do it right. But if it's too much trouble/exposure I'll keep the damn thing.

Yes, you have to fill out the form and deliver it to your PD, then wait 7 days before the transfer can be completed. However, this doesn't apply to people who have a RI license to carry.

Yes, you have to fill out the form and deliver it to your PD, then wait 7 days before the transfer can be completed. However, this doesn't apply to people who have a RI license to carry.

Only town issued permits give the exemption, if the buyer has an AG permit the paperwork and the wait still apply. Seven days if filled out before noon, eight days if filled out after noon.

Does this apply to pistols and revolvers only? I'm currently helping out someone looking to sell some firearms in RI and trying to make sure I don't give bad advice.

Is there also a paperwork requirement for long guns (rifles and shotguns) to be transfered FTF? Or would that be a registration free transaction?

Any help would be apreaciated, and I thank all of you in advance.
-Ripach

Does this apply to pistols and revolvers only? I'm currently helping out someone looking to sell some firearms in RI and trying to make sure I don't give bad advice.

Is there also a paperwork requirement for long guns (rifles and shotguns) to be transfered FTF? Or would that be a registration free transaction?

Any help would be apreaciated, and I thank all of you in advance.
-Ripach

Long guns treated the same as pistols/revolvers in RI. 7 day wait. Same paperwork requirements.

Reference:
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-35.2.HTM

All firearms are subject to state background check if you are not law enforcement or have a TOWN permit. It is not a registration, gun registration is illegal per Rhode Island law.

Does anyone know where to get one of these forms? Can the form be printed out from the link that is listed above? Or, is it an actual carbon copy style form that needs to be acquired from the PD?

Back
Top Bottom