• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RI FFL selling rifle to MA resident - question

So I am a new FFL holder in RI. As i understand it, both federal and RI state laws allow me to sell a long gun or shotgun to any citizen of the united states, pending background check & 7 day waiting period, without transferring the firearm through an FFL in their state.

My situation is this....i have a MA resident that wants to buy a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 .40 cal from me. The firearm seems to be MA compliant and AWB compliant, others have confirmed this with me. The MA resident buyer has a MA LTC A obviously, so my question is because he has an out of state permit do i still have to make him wait 7 days to take possession?? Reason i ask is because if an RI resident holds a town-issued carry permit i can sell the firearm immediately with only a form 4473, the waiting period and background check are not required. Any insight on this would be appreciated!!

I am thinking i still need to do the background check and 7 day wait, just want to confirm. I also know that he is required to register it in MA within 7 days of taking possession, but that has nothing to do with me.

While you may get some good answers, the best person to ask is your [firearms] lawyer. Second best person is who ever in Rhode Island authorized you to sell firearms in the state.

Worst person to ask : Random People on the internet.

The exemption to 11-47-35.2 (State background check and 7 day waiting period) in section C does not apply to him since he did not get his license under RIGL 11-47-11. If he had a RI town permit he would be exempt, but I cannot comment on the legality of this with respect to MA law.

Yes that's what I figured, from what I can tell based on 11-47 is only RI permit holders issued by a town PD is exempt from the 7 day wait and background check.

Back
Top Bottom