RI concealed carry denial help

Hello Everyone,
I would like a little help or advice with my current situation. I applied for a concealed carry permit thru my local police dept. of Portsmouth RI. I received a denial letter in the mail stating that my reasoning for the permit was not acceptable under 11-47-11 of the general laws of Rhode Island, amended. I was under the impression that the chiefs permit was shall issue? The reason that I put in the letter was that i am in the Providence area a lot especially at night so i fear for my own safety and the safety of my family while walking to and from my vehicle and wanted a legal means to defend myself and my family. The LT who called me on Wednesday May 1 to inform me of my denial stated that if i did not feel safe in those areas at night then to just avoid them and stay home. Of course he didn't state that in the denial letter. I want to appeal this ridiculous decision and was looking for some advise on the best way to do so. I was hoping someone went thru this and could share there experience. I really do not want to get an attorney but need be i will pursue this matter that way.

thank you and hope to hear from you soon

The first thing you should do is to request all the information that was used to deny you. This includes, but is not limited to:
Result of background check
Interview of references

You could also ask him (in writing) if he does not think self defense is a proper reason.

The Chief in Bristol denied an applicant for similar reason, and he filed suit in RI Supreme Court. The court has given Bristol two extensions to respond, and the next deadline is May 17th and I don't think they will get a third extension. Hopefully the Court will accept the case (Cert Review) and we will have some good case law on a denial in Rhode Island.
You can read more about the case here.
Gendreau v. Canario - Stephen Hopkins Center for Civil Rights
There are some bills in the RI House and Senate that will strike 11-47-11 from the books and make the AG the only licensing authority, but I am hoping it won't pass. You should call your Rep/Senator in the General Assembly and ask them to NOT support H5993 and S865.

This is my first post and I hope it helps you. In RI you have to state a reason for carrying and what you can do to avoid the situation without carrying . If the answer is you cannot avoid the threat you have a chance. It's a no brainer that you were told to avoid Providence at night. Now if you worked in Providence and got off work at 3AM you might have a remote chance. Blanket self defense is not a reason in RI. Download the pistol permit forms from the AGs website and be a little more creative of how you cannot avoid dangerous situations. Don't bust them or question the Portsmouth PD, they already denied you. The first thing you will need to submit your application to the AG is a sign off from the local Chief stating that he knows of no reason for denying you a permit. He can add a letter to this where he or she is free to recommend giving or denying you regardless of your background. This is not usually done unless you know someone or your on someone's s**t list.
Good luck

@B/STOCK, your recommendations only apply to AG-issued permits under 11-47-18. This poster applied for a town permit under 11-47-11, which has a different set of criteria. In particular, it does not include the "proper showing of need" which is what you are referring to. The "proper reason" part is a much lower standard. The town-issued permits are also shall-issue, so there isn't much discretion given to the police chiefs.

All this is true until and unless they are successful in passing [h=3]2013 - H5993/S865 - Pistol Permit/License Repeal[/h]

The first thing you will need to submit your application to the AG is a sign off from the local Chief stating that he knows of no reason for denying you a permit.

Deputy Director Robert Chin of the RI Bureau of Criminal Investigation informed me that the AG's office will accept a signoff from a designated officer. I obtianed the signature of my town's firearms licensing officer (who indicated his title and badge number on the form) and it was accepted by the AG's office without any difficulty.

Blanket self defense is not a reason in RI. Download the pistol permit forms from the AGs website and be a little more creative of how you cannot avoid dangerous situations. Don't bust them or question the Portsmouth PD, they already denied you. Good luck
I disagree with this. If self defense is not a proper reason to carry, then what is? I would also not give up on Portsmouth since they are SHALL issue as long as you meet the statutory requirements. In Mosby v Devine (RI Supreme Court) the courts said that if an applicant met the requirements in 11-47-11, he/she was entitled to a pistol permit.

@B/STOCK, your recommendations only apply to AG-issued permits under 11-47-18. This poster applied for a town permit under 11-47-11, which has a different set of criteria. In particular, it does not include the "proper showing of need" which is what you are referring to. The "proper reason" part is a much lower standard. The town-issued permits are also shall-issue, so there isn't much discretion given to the police chiefs.

All this is true until and unless they are successful in passing [h=3]2013 - H5993/S865 - Pistol Permit/License Repeal[/h]

Thanks for the info. I have not seen many town issued permits. Does the applicant of a town issue permit have to qualify etc. like with the AGs permit. Also are some RI towns like MA where some chiefs issue and some don't?

Proper showing of need.. What and effing joke. You have to prove that you need something you have a RIGHT to own. I would be out of that state so fast there woud be a sonic boom as my a$$ hit the border. Goddamn effin nazis.

Thanks for the info. I have not seen many town issued permits. Does the applicant of a town issue permit have to qualify etc. like with the AGs permit. Also are some RI towns like MA where some chiefs issue and some don't?

You technically need to qualify in any town but my town didn't give a shit. It does not even list a caliber on the permit. Yes, some chiefs, who are breaking the law, refuse to issue. By law they must. Apparently there are lawsuits in the courts which should set some precedent. Assuming the RI-legislature-of-a**h***s does not kill 11-47-11.

Hello Everyone,
I would like a little help or advice with my current situation. I applied for a concealed carry permit thru my local police dept. of Portsmouth RI. I received a denial letter in the mail stating that my reasoning for the permit was not acceptable under 11-47-11 of the general laws of Rhode Island, amended. I was under the impression that the chiefs permit was shall issue? The reason that I put in the letter was that i am in the Providence area a lot especially at night so i fear for my own safety and the safety of my family while walking to and from my vehicle and wanted a legal means to defend myself and my family. The LT who called me on Wednesday May 1 to inform me of my denial stated that if i did not feel safe in those areas at night then to just avoid them and stay home. Of course he didn't state that in the denial letter. I want to appeal this ridiculous decision and was looking for some advise on the best way to do so. I was hoping someone went thru this and could share there experience. I really do not want to get an attorney but need be i will pursue this matter that way.

thank you and hope to hear from you soon

I know this post is 4 years old, but just curious if you had got a letter asking you to go in for fingerprints or if you just got a denial letter without doing the fingerprints?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom