RI CCW Restrictions

I have recently been granted a Rhode Island CCW permit from the AG, however it was issued for Work Purposes Only. Does anyone know if CCW restrictions are defined anywhere in the state statutes or relevent case law? Have these restrictions ever been challenged in court cases? Have the courts found these restrictions to be enforcible/legal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There has never been a case involving "work purpose only". There is no law from what I understand that prohibits you from carrying all the time. Well besides schools,bars etc. I have the same permit and carry everyday.

I have not senn or heard of any case law on that either, but why chance it? If you are involved in any type of incident outside of work now you may incurr a loss of license, and hefty legal bills. I would ask for an upgrade after successfully having your work ccw license for a while. If you really feel you need an unrestricted license now appeal the decision to grant you a work only license.

BearArms, where in RI law does it say you can't carry in those places?

Last edited:
Beararms read section 4b of that statute carefully. The point is that it is important to give out correct information.

Individuals licensed under 11-47-11 are exempt from the provisions of 11-47-60.

This.

Yes but if the person is exempt they will know it and wouldn't be asking this question. Also wouldn't of been simpler to have just said some people are exempt then go through all of this BS?

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-60.HTM

That's the school law. I guess you can in bars but you can't get intoxicated. So what's the point?

11-47-60 exempts holders of town permits and holders of AG permits... The law is as clear as can be on that.

Regarding bars, there is not one syllable in Chapter 47 about "guns in bars." being intoxicated and having a firearm applies to everyone and even inside your home. There was a conviction on that 20 years ago.

There is no legality to restrictions in RI, but for some reason the AG (and some Chiefs) still issue permits with restrictions. I met with a couple of lawyers from the AG's office to discuss this issue in June and I asked them why they were doing this and if they would start issuing non-restricted permits to everybody. I told them it had no legality (they did not argue this either) and I said that by having restrictions would just cause confusion (of the LEO) if someone were questioned by LEO while legally carrying. Their response was just that the AG is "May Issue", and they must somehow think they can do whatever they want... They say they never issue non restricted permits to first time applicants, but if there have been 'no issues' they will remove it on the renewal. This is nothing but a lie since I have several friends who got un-restricted permits the first time, while another friend is on his second or third renewal and still have a Work restriction....

As Kevlar and Newportrimentioned, school carry is NOT prohibited to a RI CCW holder. Also, the law does not give the AG the authority to restrict licenses. He could, I imagine, use one's decision not to adhere to the restrictions of the permit as a basis for revocation and or/refusal to renew, however.

To add to Newport's post. I am on my 4th non resident RI CCW, and it has always been restricted to work purposes only.

Last edited:
Also, the law does not give the AG the authority to restrict licenses

Accepting that as a given, and not considering any practical impact in RI (cops who think the restrictions have standing, use of a restrition violation as basis for denial, etc.), one has the additional complication of "non-resident" use of a RI LTC.

Many states accept licenses from other states (for example, RI is the only state in the Northeast accepted in NV), however, the laws in those states are often silent on the issue of a recognition of a restricted carry permit from another state. I would suspect that, for example, carrying in Las Vegas as a tourist with a license that says "work only" might be less than universally accepted as valid by the cops out there - and remember, it is the cops, and not the courts, that decide if you get to hear the magic words "my fee to take this case is ....".

Back
Top Bottom