• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rhode Island Non-Resident Concealed Carry License

lel

NES Member
Been working on accumulating CCW licenses (have Mass, Utah & NH -- waiting on Maine & FL). I travel a bit. Trying to get licensed in all of New England. Not sure if I should apply for a non-resident CCW in Rhode Island, from what I've been reading. Do any fellow Northeast Shooters have any experience or success applying to RI? Thanks.

There is at least one similar thread in the Rhode Island section. You'd have to apply through the AG and the AG is notoriously difficult, even for residents. Unless you have a reason they like (such as carrying large amounts of money through the state, being chased and harassed by your ex-husband, etc.) I suspect it will be very difficult for a nonresident to get a permit. They don't even like giving them to residents and the AG is shall, not may. Technically a town COP could issue a permit but most of them no less of the law than the AG.

Sorry, yes, the towns are SHALL and the AG is MAY. But the towns do not even want to give permits to residents. They continue to redirect people to the AG. Its an unwritten policy. My town dispatcher tried to push me to the AG and I told her I needed to talk to the chief. They gave me to the officer that actually issued permits and did it without a problem. When push comes to shove, you may get them to cave and issue but I doubt they will be induced to issue to a nonresident.

Since you have a permit from another state you are eligible to apply to any town (usually Chief of Police) under RIGL 11-47-11, and they are a Shall Issue authority.
Most departments have applications, only Warren, Barrington, Central Falls, and New Shoreham (Block Island) doesn't have applications. However, the New Shoreham Chief has said that if someone wanted to apply, he would come up with a process.. The Chief even said that there is nothing that requires him to have a "written application", which I agree with him on, but it makes it a little easier if he developed a policy. Most other towns have issued permits, but many try to direct you to the AG. However, if you let them know that you intend to apply under 11-47-11 and that they are required by law to accept and process these applications (Archer v. MacGarry) they will give you the application. Sometimes you have to request the application under the State's Open Records law.
Unless you have a very good reason to carry a firearm you would like to share with the AG, I recommend that you apply to a town in RI, preferably to a town that you visit frequently. That doesn't necessarily mean that you will get your permit since Chiefs are notorious to violate our rights when it comes to CCW.
It was Shitehouse (I mean Sheldon Whitehouse) while he was the Attorney General who instructed the Chief's to not accept applications, and unfortunately he is now one of RI Senators in Washington DC.... When the current AG was asked to send out a letter to the Chiefs asking that they follow the law, the response was that they have no jurisdiction over the Chiefs...

Somebody told me that the C and R license is a good way to get it from the AG (I do not remember who) because you are not only carrying "antiques" but they are guns too. I am very interested in this one, i am in RI often. Somebody offered to help me get my license in RI on here, but i do not remember who. Hopefully they pop up in this thread

Somebody told me that the C and R license is a good way to get it from the AG (I do not remember who) because you are not only carrying "antiques" but they are guns too. I am very interested in this one, i am in RI often. Somebody offered to help me get my license in RI on here, but i do not remember who. Hopefully they pop up in this thread

X2, there was an article on NES about this. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: I found the link via google http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-71956.html

Last edited:
That's true, but it still might cost you some legal fees to explain this to a judge since apparently the AG and some Chiefs doesn't care what the statutes say. It is also a little unclear to me what will happen if you travel to a state with reciprocity with RI and you have a restriction.

That's true, but it still might cost you some legal fees to explain this to a judge since apparently the AG and some Chiefs doesn't care what the statutes say. It is also a little unclear to me what will happen if you travel to a state with reciprocity with RI and you have a restriction.

This in indeed a good point. And, as a semi-relevant bit of trivia, RI and AZ are (last I checked) the only non-resident permits accepted for carry in Nevada.

I can do the RI shooting qualification in Hopkinton for a $10 check payable to Hopkinton Sportsmens (thus assuring that I am "acting on behalf of the club" when doing the qualification, and therefore covered under it's insurance) for anyone who is applying or renewing in RI.

Thank you Rob, that's a generous offer as I know of some clubs charging up to $50 to qualify. There have been several suits filed this year against Chiefs in Newport, and they are finally being held accountable for their actions. There is no new case law yet, but hopefully this will change in the near future and residents and non-residents of RI will hopefully have an easier time to get a CCW.

Thank you Rob, that's a generous offer as I know of some clubs charging up to $50 to qualify. There have been several suits filed this year against Chiefs in Newport, and they are finally being held accountable for their actions. There is no new case law yet, but hopefully this will change in the near future and residents and non-residents of RI will hopefully have an easier time to get a CCW.

Hopefully this doesn't backfire and allow the meatheads in the general assembly to make changes to 11-47-11

Hopefully this doesn't backfire and allow the meatheads in the general assembly to make changes to 11-47-11

The RI Supreme Court has said that because we have a non-discretionary licensing in 11-47-11, the constitutional guarantee to keep and bear arms is not violated. The legislatures might try to change it, but that would not hold up in court in my opinion.

Thank you Rob, that's a generous offer as I know of some clubs charging up to $50 to qualify.
I'll do it for $1 if someone tells me they are tight on funds. No matter what I charge, my cut of the action for work I do for the club is always the same.

Back
Top Bottom