RHODE ISLAND CWP IN MA.

8thring

Banned
hi; has anyone tried to get a cwp from r.i. in ma.?
i have an out of state one for nh and ct. would like to get one for ri, if they will issue. i know it is a process, the ct one is, but they did issue. a non conceled permit is useless for me.

hi; has anyone tried to get a cwp from r.i. in ma.?
i have an out of state one for nh and ct. would like to get one for ri, if they will issue. i know it is a process, the ct one is, but they did issue. a non conceled permit is useless for me.

I think you would have better luck if a mod moves this to the gun laws section.

Anyway, do not apply to the AG's office. They will deny or restrict you permit if they do issue you one at all. The AG "May Issue" so that's where they get you. Apply to a town/city because they fall under 11-47-11 which is "Shall Issue". We must be so close to MA that some police departments in RI think they have discretion as to whether or not they issue. (Like MA.) Well they don't. They must issue. There are some towns where you will encounter less resistance.

Do you regularly visit RI? If so where?

Apply to a town/city because they fall under 11-47-11 which is "Shall Issue". We must be so close to MA that some police departments in RI think they have discretion as to whether or not they issue. (Like MA.) Well they don't. They must issue. There are some towns where you will encounter less resistance.

Not all towns do this.... I know Cumberland won't for sure. Many towns insist that you go through the AG.

RI requires a range test, and limits you to the caliber with which you took the test or smaller. They accept signoff from an NRA instructor, but the hard part is getting the "Army L" target (if you saw the target you would wonder if L stood for "Large Bullseye"). You will also need to get the application signed by your hometown chief or licensing officer.

They also can, and often do, add restrictions such as "work only".

If you are denied by the AGs office, you can appeal to the person who denied you. If you are still denied, one can sometimes get a "Target only" permit (thus removing the stigma of a "denial"). While there are numerous discussions as to what the law actually means, the AG's office administers non-resident licensing on a "may issue" basis.

Interestingly enough, the relatively recent AG's office issued permits are signed by the AG directly (no rubber stamp like the old days).

I can do the range test in Hopkinton (we have Army L's in stock) for a $5.00 donation to the club. BUT... if you want assistance with stategy or filling out the application, you should talk to a member of the RI bar such as the Scriv.

Last edited:
Not all towns do this.... I know Cumberland won't for sure. Many towns insist that you go through the AG.

I know we talked about this through PM before. Why haven't you pushed the issue in Cumberland? What's the worst thing that can happen? You get the permit and a boatload of cash from the town. This business of, "We don't issue, go to the AG." is the result of accepting "No" for an answer.

They also can, and often do, add restrictions such as "work only".

I know West Warwick and North Providence have done this but restricting a town/city permit is absolutely unconstitutional. It wouldn't stand up in court for 2 seconds. Again, the issue needs to be pushed. The case law is on OUR side not theirs.

I know we talked about this through PM before. Why haven't you pushed the issue in Cumberland? What's the worst thing that can happen? You get the permit and a boatload of cash from the town. This business of, "We don't issue, go to the AG." is the result of accepting "No" for an answer.
It's hard for me to argue that one.

I've got a small supply of the targets as well. Anybody up this way can ping me if they need to get signed off for the RI license.

Ken

First, I also have some Army L targets and can do RI qualifications, so anyone down in the Fall River, Somerset, Swansea area can contact me if needed.

Second, what's wrong with a restricted RI permit? They don't seem to be giving out too many that aren't restricted so it would seem prudent to plan your strategy wisely (which means seek counsel) and go for a properly restricted permit.

Just my $ .02 worth, and it may not actually be worth the entire amount.

-Cuz.

The best person to contact for this is James Archer at [email protected]. He runs the Citizens Rights Action League in RI www.cralri.com

He is a great guy. I have conversed with him before.

Second, what's wrong with a restricted RI permit? They don't seem to be giving out too many that aren't restricted so it would seem prudent to plan your strategy wisely (which means seek counsel) and go for a properly restricted permit.

Any RI resident who is legally able to posses a firearms with federal laws can obtain whatever they want once they get their "blue card". Getting your blue card is free multiple choice test in which a chimpanzee could easily pass. The problem is you cant carry/conceal a handgun with your blue card. A restricted LTC will not give you many more powers then your blue card already does.

-Cuz.

The point is we shouldn't be bothering with AG permits when it is clear that town permits are "shall issue". Our towns have no discretion as to whether or not they issue. In addition, towns cannot restrict permits like they do in MA. Restrictions are foolish and have no legal standing in RI. Charges for carrying outside of a restricted permit have been thrown out of court. (Not advocating carry outside of the restriction, just making the point they don't hold water.) The sad part it's easier to get a non-res permit than a resident permit in RI.

Pistol permits are a civil entitlement in our state. Get a lawyer.

The point is we shouldn't be bothering with AG permits when it is clear that town permits are "shall issue". Our towns have no discretion as to whether or not they issue. In addition, towns cannot restrict permits like they do in MA. Restrictions are foolish and have no legal standing in RI. Charges for carrying outside of a restricted permit have been thrown out of court. (Not advocating carry outside of the restriction, just making the point they don't hold water.) The sad part it's easier to get a non-res permit than a resident permit in RI.

Pistol permits are a civil entitlement in our state. Get a lawyer.

Glennv,
I don't know about a RI resident permit as I am a MA resident. After reading your email above, it sure sounds like you are helping me make my point. It would surely seem that having a restricted permit is much better than having no permit. I would guess that it's wiser and cheaper for a non-resident to hire an attorney and seek a permit from the AG than to start suing towns to try and force them to give you a permit.
-Cuz.

A restricted LTC will not give you many more powers then your blue card already does.

Typeo1313,
I must respectfully disagree with your above statement. It doesn't sound to me like you've given this as much thought as you should if you are trying to acquire a LTC. How can you make a blanket statement like the above when you don't know what the restriction is on a particular permit? Can you carry a concealed firearm in RI with a blue card? I didn't think you could, but I may be wrong. Last I checked you could carry a concealed firearm in RI with a restricted LTC as long as you are within the parameters of the restriction.

-Cuz.

Glennv,
I don't know about a RI resident permit as I am a MA resident. After reading your email above, it sure sounds like you are helping me make my point. It would surely seem that having a restricted permit is much better than having no permit. I would guess that it's wiser and cheaper for a non-resident to hire an attorney and seek a permit from the AG than to start suing towns to try and force them to give you a permit.
-Cuz.

Just go to a town that already issues and you'll get a permit. Non residents are doing it as we speak. No need to hound the AG.

What towns?

I am going for this once I get a couple of others (as this one is the most likely to get "denied").

I border the Northwest Corner of RI.

What towns?

I am going for this once I get a couple of others (as this one is the most likely to get "denied").

I border the Northwest Corner of RI.

Woonsocket issues permits. You can't get anymore northwest than that. I'll PM details.

Last edited:
Woonsocket issues permits. You can't get anymore northwest than that. I'll PM details.

Glennv,
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind when it becomes time to renew my permit.

-Cuz.

Typeo1313,
I must respectfully disagree with your above statement. It doesn't sound to me like you've given this as much thought as you should if you are trying to acquire a LTC. How can you make a blanket statement like the above when you don't know what the restriction is on a particular permit? Can you carry a concealed firearm in RI with a blue card? I didn't think you could, but I may be wrong. Last I checked you could carry a concealed firearm in RI with a restricted LTC as long as you are within the parameters of the restriction.

-Cuz.

I just moved to RI, I am not up %100 on there laws and procedures. According to a previous post the restriction means squat. This is the first I have heard of this. Now me being from Ma my whole life, a restricted MA LTC for target/hunting wouldn't do much more then my "blue card" in RI already does.

I just moved to RI, I am not up %100 on there laws and procedures. According to a previous post the restriction means squat. This is the first I have heard of this. Now me being from Ma my whole life, a restricted MA LTC for target/hunting wouldn't do much more then my "blue card" in RI already does.

TYPEO1313,
A restricted LTC in RI just defines the terms under which you can carry a concealed permit in RI. A typical restriction might be "work purposes only". Which would imply you could only carry your gun on you concealed while you were working, or traveling to and from work. I don't know how many different restrictions there are, or even if there are a standard set of restrictions. But a restricted LTC in RI is different than the MA restriction you mentioned above.

-Cuz.

TYPEO1313,
A restricted LTC in RI just defines the terms under which you can carry a concealed permit in RI. A typical restriction might be "work purposes only". Which would imply you could only carry your gun on you concealed while you were working, or traveling to and from work. I don't know how many different restrictions there are, or even if there are a standard set of restrictions. But a restricted LTC in RI is different than the MA restriction you mentioned above.

-Cuz.

I am well aware of what a restriction is, while working at the gun shop I saw many of them. In MA the issuing officer means what they say on restriction. As I just stated, I am just hearing about this non enforced restriction in RI (oxymoron). I can tell you that if getting my LTC in RI depended on my work, then they probably wouldn't give me one. I previously used the example of a LTC being restricted for "target/hunting", I am not sure if they issue that as a restriction in RI. I can tell you that many towns in MA do it for just about every LTC they issue. In MA if you are issued a LTC for "target/hunting" then thats all you can use it for. If this was the case for me in RI, then a simple "blue card" would be all I need, as it would not give me any more power then I currently have. I can assure you I am seeking my LTC in RI, but I am not settling for a restricted one. I have %90 of my paperwork put together for my permit. I am hoping that after my wedding is complete I can finish pursuing my non-restricted LTC.

I can assure you I am seeking my LTC in RI, but I am not settling for a restricted one. I have %90 of my paperwork put together for my permit. I am hoping that after my wedding is complete I can finish pursuing my non-restricted LTC.

My only advice to you would be to pay particular attention to the letter you submit requesting an LTC. I know you will most likely request a permit for "all lawfull reasons" or something similar, but if they do restrict it, the restriction will be tied to your letter stating why you are requesting a permit. Good luck with your application, and also with your upcoming wedding.

-Cuz.

My only advice to you would be to pay particular attention to the letter you submit requesting an LTC. I know you will most likely request a permit for "all lawfull reasons" or something similar,
Thanks for your advise, but you assumed WRONG! There is not one mention of "all lawful purposes" in my letter (which was reviewed by a respected attorney). May I ask you what your experience is with RI permits?

but if they do restrict it, the restriction will be tied to your letter stating why you are requesting a permit.
Did I mention my experience with restriction any any of my previous post's? I am not seeking a restricted license as it is worthless to me in RI. I am doing the appropriate actions to hopefully receive an unrestricted one.[wink]

Good luck with your application, and also with your upcoming wedding.
Thank you

Thanks for your advise, but you assumed WRONG! There is not one mention of "all lawful purposes" in my letter (which was reviewed by a respected attorney). May I ask you what your experience is with RI permits?

My only experience is that I've had one for the last 12 years. That by no means gives my any real experience other than completing the application 3 times. Since you have sought advice of counsel you are light years ahead of me.

Did I mention my experience with restriction any any of my previous post's? I am not seeking a restricted license as it is worthless to me in RI. I am doing the appropriate actions to hopefully receive an unrestricted one.

I don't think many people start out seeking a restricted license, but sometimes that's what they end up with. When you eventually complete the application process and receive your LTC, please let us know if the process was successful for you. Myself and others here can benefit from your experience.

-Cuz.

I was also wondering about this subject I'm in Florida and want to apply for a non resident RI carry permit. Would I be better off to apply to a town that issues like Woonsocket? And could the whole process(including receiving the permit)be done through the mail like a massachusetts non resident LTC can?

Back
Top Bottom