Rhode Island CCW in a vehicle only??!

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-8.HTM

Do I understand this correctly? If you have a ccw in any state you can carry concealed and loaded on your person, in your car, while traveling through Rhode Island without intent to stop?

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island....

I've seen this before. Yes, I believe it's part of the 'peaceable journey' segment of the law recognizing travel through states.

I've seen this before. Yes, I believe it's part of the 'peaceable journey' segment of the law recognizing travel through states.

It's interesting. It says nothing about contiguous states. Could come in handy if your car breaks down on the interstate and you're waiting for help. Of course, you're likely to be approached by a trooper seeing your disbled MV and who may not appreciate the finer points of this law...well, concealed is concealed.

No, it is not. You are referring to FOPA86 which requires that the gun be transported unloaded an inaccessible to the driver. The RI provisions for persons licensed elsewhere who travel through without intent to detain themselves is considerably more generous.

No, it is not. You are referring to FOPA86 which requires that the gun be transported unloaded an inaccessible to the driver. The RI provisions for persons licensed elsewhere who travel through without intent to detain themselves is considerably more generous.

FOPA86 and so-called peaceable journey laws are two different things. Several states have similar sections in their laws, commonly referred to as 'peaceable journey' laws, that allow this persons to travel through the state with firearms without the need for a license of permit from the state. Most of these predate FOPA86.

Ken

WayneWong,

You understand the law correctly. If I were you I would carry a copy of the law with you if you are going to carry through Rhode Island. This is what I did before I got my Rhode Island permit.

WayneWong,

You understand the law correctly. If I were you I would carry a copy of the law and a $100 bill folded in it with you if you are going to carry through Rhode Island. This is what I did before I got my Rhode Island permit.

Thanks - fixed your post being that it's Rhode Island.

FOPA86 and so-called peaceable journey laws are two different things.
Thanks for the enlightenment - I had never heard of the term and just assumed it was referencing FOPA86.

WOW Someone Has a RI Permit

Non-Res no less!![rolleyes] The current AG has stated that you can carry CCW in your vehicle without RI pernit if you are 'traveling through' with no intentions of detaining yourself in Rhode Island. I will look for the official letter and post it.

I wonder how that would work if you had to stop and get gas or make a rest room break. Your technically not traveling in your car anymore at that point and you are CCWing in the state of RI without a permit.

That might be a grey area.

I wonder how that would work if you had to stop and get gas or make a rest room break. Your technically not traveling in your car anymore at that point and you are CCWing in the state of RI without a permit.

I don't see a problem in those cases but I think it would if you stopped for say a lengthly lunch or dinner. In that case securing it in the manner stated by the FOPA would be in your best interest.

That might be a grey area.

According to our current AG this would be acceptable.(as long as you have a permit where you came from and where you are going eg. MA & CT and you don't DETAIN yourself in the state) I will post the letter when I find it

Last edited:
11-47-8

According to our current AG this would be acceptable.(as long as you have a permit where you came from and where you are going eg. MA & CT and you don't DETAIN yourself in the state) I will post the letter when I find it

There is no case law on this subject. The law was passed in 1974. It is part of 11-47-8. It exempts anyone from the CCW/OC laws if you have a permit to carry a concealed pistol from any state, territory, city, town, county, or the District of Colombia.

With such a permit you can open carry or conceal carry through RI as long as you have no intention to remain in the state. Stopping for lunch??? No case law on this. The state police say you can't get out of your car. That's nonsense, the GA would have said that you can not stop in your travel, getting gas would not be considered staying by any reasonable person.

As far as the AG's office saying that as long as you have a CT and MA permit. That's not their concern. The persons carry status in MA or CT is of no business to an RI official.

What if you have a New York State pistol License and your taking the seasonal ferry from Block Island to Suffolk County, New York.

People forget that RI shares a state boundary with New York, even though it may be aquatic, it's still a boundary and I'm sure that boat owners who carry are well aware of where this boundary is. What if a New York Pistol License holder is going from Suffolk Co, New york to Block Island via ferry to visit a friend to immediately get on his yacht and sail to Cap Cod (where he has a Class A LTC)???

what about if i am a CT CCW permit holder, and i have an apartment in RI? can i bring it to my apartment and leave it there for household protection? can anyone find me this answer in writing? thanks all. i been looking everywhere.

Non-Res no less!! The current AG has stated that you can carry CCW in your vehicle without RI pernit if you are 'traveling through' with no intentions of detaining yourself in Rhode Island. I will look for the official letter and post it.
How about the actual statute: http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-8.HTM

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.

(b) No person shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any sawed-off shotgun or sawed-off rifle as defined in § 11-47-2. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for up to ten (10) years, or by a fine of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000), or both.

(c) No person shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any firearm while the person delivers, possesses with intent to deliver, or manufactures a controlled substance. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two (2) years nor more than twenty (20) years, and the sentence shall be consecutive to any sentence the person may receive for the delivery, possession with intent to deliver, or the manufacture of the controlled substance. It shall not be a defense to a violation of this subsection that a person has a license or permit to carry or possess a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom