Rhode Island carry permit application questions for Portsmouth

Hey there
i submitted my app about 2 weeks ago in Portsmouth. When I dropped off the app the clerk said that they will "get ahold" me in 4-6 weeks. Ok no big deal, however I've read the packet they gave me and the process says that "all new permits must submit a FBI finger print card after prescreening is done" now my question is, after the prescreening is done, if it gets approved I obviously go in for the finger printing? Or if it gets denied will I get the denial letter in 4-6 weeks? I see it as "well we denied your permit app so no need to come in for finger prints because it'd be a waste of your time and ours". Does anyone have any experience with Portsmouth town permits?
thanks

I asked and they said that they did it at the station, but your right the ag form requires two one inch photos and finger prints

First time I applied for my AG permit they printed me there when I dropped off the application. When I applied for my permit in East Providence they took the fingerprints when I handed in the application too. Both of them were four years ago.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There is no statutory requirements to submit fingerprints, but most policies require that fingerprints are submitted. However, the permit "shall bear the fingerprint, photograph, name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license".
http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-11.HTM
What does the town application say (you said the AG application requires it)?

"All new pistol permits issued from this office must have applicants full set of fingerprints submitted on a FBI applicant card [FD-258 (Rev. 12-29-82)]. Fingerprinting will be scheduled and done by Portsmouth Police Department after the prescreening is completed of the applications by the Portsmouth Police Department. Applicant will be required to pay $20.00 for fingerprinting. Fingerprinting is not required for renewals"

They use the AG application but it's for a town permit. Same packet but at the very end of the packet they added their own "step by step" process. So my question?...it sounds like they "prescreen" the app if they think that the person is worth it before having them waste their time and yours.

Last edited:
"All new pistol permits issued from this office must have applicants full set of fingerprints submitted on a FBI applicant card [FD-258 (Rev. 12-29-82)]. Fingerprinting will be scheduled and done by Portsmouth Police Department after the prescreening is completed of the applications by the Portsmouth Police Department. Applicant will be required to pay $20.00 for fingerprinting. Fingerprinting is not required for renewals"

They use the AG application but it's for a town permit. Same packet but at the very end of the packet they added their own "step by step" process. So my question?...it sounds like they "prescreen" the app if they think that the person is worth it before having them waste their time and yours.

Essentially yes. Generally the applicant submits the application, they get back to you after 4-6 weeks and schedule an interview with a detective where either you are printed/photographed or asked to bring in the photo/prints. Most stations now have electronic print machines and thus are going with the first mentioned method. Once all this is done, the detective then puts together a packet for the CLEO and he signs off on it. It's not how it's supposed to work however be grateful you don't live in Exeter.

For anyone that stumbles upon this post here's how everything happened (for me anyways)
1. Submitted my app with NO photo or finger prints (as stated above)
2.my app was approved about 6 weeks after I dropped it off.
3.got a phone call from the major who handles the apps in my town saying that it was approved and that the administrator lt would be calling me in for my photo and prints

so as of now, tomorrow morning I will be having those done. As my town app packet says "after prescreening is complete, a time and date will be made for prints and photo". The major did however say that because of the many applications for ccw's the wait time has been extended from 4-6 to 6-8.

Back
Top Bottom