Rhode Island axtivist laments gun restrictions not passing

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Please delete if dupe.
http://jvhri.org/stories/Despite-increased-public-support-RI-lawmakers-fail-to-restrict-guns,5077

[FONT=&amp]This legislative session was no better than the previous two in terms of legislation passed to increase gun safety and reduce gun violence. But the tide seems to be turning in efforts to break the stranglehold the National Rifle Association has over our legislature: The Rhode Island Coalition against Gun Violence commissioned a poll this session that showed that a high percentage of Rhode Islanders agreed with the legislation it supported.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The local arm of the NRA is a group called the 2nd Amendment Coalition, and it works with a number of sportsmen groups to rally opposition to gun-safety legislation and introduce bills to ease restrictions on gun ownership. These groups employ paid lobbyists.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Local groups on the side of increasing gun safety and reducing gun violence are the Rhode Island Coalition against Gun Violence, the Rhode Island chapter of Moms Demand Action, the Rhode Island Coalition against Domestic Violence and the Religious Coalition for a Violence-Free Rhode Island. These groups held rallies, lobby days and news conferences to call attention to the issues surrounding gun violence with the goal of raising the awareness of legislators and the general public.[/FONT]

The NRA actually does have state affiliates. Not sure of RI, but I think GOAL could fairly be called the local (MA) arm of the NRA.

One of their bills that would have made it more difficult for chiefs of police to deny a concealed-carry permit passed the House and would have made it to the Senate floor if not for the intervention of Rhode Island State Police Col. Steven O’Donnell

It is general knowledge that the anti-gun lobbyist used lies to play on the ignorance/arrogance to stymie the legislation in the Senate.

The local arm of the NRA is a group called the 2nd Amendment Coalition, and it works with a number of sportsmen groups to rally opposition to gun-safety legislation and introduce bills to ease restrictions on gun ownership. These groups employ paid lobbyists.
The 2A Coalition engages lobbyist Bill Murphy for $15K per year. There is also the NRA lobbyist, Darrin Goens at $56.41 hourly, which is paid by NRA-ILA.

Meanwhile, Bloomberg has paid quite a bit more, but they don't mention that point in the article. You can research all the tentacles here:

Lobby Tracker

Here's just a small taste...

djwrzwS.jpg

Bloomberg alone paid over $150k out of his own deep pockets last year (and most likely this year as well) to further his anti-gun agenda, but the author of the article don't think that is worth mentioning... Also, Mark Weiner (wealthy prominent RI Dem.) also pledged $300k to pass "common sense gun legislation". However, Weiner passed away during the DNC and I don't know if he signed the check before he passed away.. The amount of money the antis are spending dwarfs what the NRA is spending and this money is coming from RI gun owners and not not just billiionaires that doesn't even live in RI..

Meanwhile, the gun-rights community introduced three times as many bills. Among their goals was to make it easier to get and keep a concealed-carry weapons permit and to grant reciprocity if someone had a permit from certain other states. One of their bills that would have made it more difficult for chiefs of police to deny a concealed-carry permit passed the House and would have made it to the Senate floor if not for the intervention of Rhode Island State Police Col. Steven O’Donnell and other chiefs of police who reached out to the Senate president and other lawmakers, requesting they kill the bill.
That is a blatant lie and gun owners only introduced a fraction of the gun bills the antis did. I believe during the hearing, we only requested the Carry bill and Reciprocity bill to be heard while the antis had 12 of their bills being hear on the same night...

The carry bill would not have made it more difficult for Chiefs to deny CCW permits either, but it would give applicants due process as well as a way to appeal.

What else do you expect from a liberal rag? Think of this as NFL pre-season. We know what works and what doesn't work. Lets go into 2017 learning from this aggressively on the attack and own the narrative. When you own the narrative you own the conversation. We can begin this now by talking to reps in the House and Senate and clear up any mis-information that the anti-crowd created in the last night of the session.

What else do you expect from a liberal rag? Think of this as NFL pre-season. We know what works and what doesn't work. Lets go into 2017 learning from this aggressively on the attack and own the narrative. When you own the narrative you own the conversation. We can begin this now by talking to reps in the House and Senate and clear up any mis-information that the anti-crowd created in the last night of the session.

Don't forget, there will be a whole new crowd of progressive legislators in there. Some of our biggest allies are not running - Doreen Costa, Joe Trillo, Dan Reilly, etc. And all those races are in danger of being won by the progressive candidates.

Meanwhile, the gun-rights community introduced three times as many bills. Among their goals was to make it easier to get and keep a concealed-carry weapons permit and to grant reciprocity if someone had a permit from certain other states. One of their bills that would have made it more difficult for chiefs of police to deny a concealed-carry permit passed the House and would have made it to the Senate floor if not for the intervention of Rhode Island State Police Col. Steven O’Donnell and other chiefs of police who reached out to the Senate president and other lawmakers, requesting they kill the bill.

That is a blatant lie and gun owners only introduced a fraction of the gun bills the antis did. I believe during the hearing, we only requested the Carry bill and Reciprocity bill to be heard while the antis had 12 of their bills being hear on the same night...

The carry bill would not have made it more difficult for Chiefs to deny CCW permits either, but it would give applicants due process as well as a way to appeal.

Let's assume it's true. It only goes to show how distorted the anti's version of reality is.

He starts his screed by saying:

But the tide seems to be turning in efforts to break the stranglehold the National Rifle Association has over our legislature

And then goes on to point out:

After hearings before House and Senate committees at which many witnesses were heard, none of these bills got out of committee or even got a vote in committee.

Meanwhile, the gun-rights community introduced three times as many bills.

Sounds to me like the NRA stranglehold is just where it needs to be.

The NRA actually does have state affiliates. Not sure of RI, but I think GOAL could fairly be called the local (MA) arm of the NRA.

GOAL is NOT the local arm of anyone, they are not part of the NRA, they have not gotten any support from the NRA. They are a home grown MA organization and are doing a great job.

Complete truth or full disclosure isn't their objective or necessary to achieve their goal of turning public opinion. They can say whatever they want. We go on the defensive instead of the offensive. We need to be pumping out our own news stories, commentaries and blogs on a weekly or even daily basis.

GOAL is NOT the local arm of anyone, they are not part of the NRA, they have not gotten any support from the NRA. They are a home grown MA organization and are doing a great job.

Wow, my first neg rep. ScottS apparently disagrees with me and feels I should do more homework.

Wow, my first neg rep. ScottS apparently disagrees with me and feels I should do more homework.

It's not that I disagree with you; go to the link, see the page entitled "NRA State Associations" and then scroll down to just between Maryland and Michigan and see this:

1zc0huv.jpg

It's not an opinion. When you say "GOAL is NOT the local arm the NRA," you're wrong. They are the NRA State Affiliate for MA. So...yeah. Do some homework.

And, the reason for the PM system is to keep from derailing a perfectly good thread about RI's douchebag antis...

Back
Top Bottom