Revolverholics: S&W 686 vs. GP100 vs. SP101

Another vote for GP100. My second gun purchase was a 6" stainless GP100 and love it. It's cheaper than a 686 and you can use the savings to get a trigger job and buy some ammo. I had Greg Derr do a trigger job and it was $85 if I recall.

Just curious, how much better is the trigger after Greg worked on it? I recently got a GP100 and think the trigger is pretty sweet. I'm just wondering what exactly he did (smoothed out, lightened it, etc) and if you feel it was worth it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, i think you just have to try it to see if it's comfortable for you. every ones version of comfort or tolerance is different. plus i shoot revolvers better than semi-auto's, so i don't feel under-gunned because i have less ammo or cause it'll take longer to reload. a couple well placed shots are better than a dozen ill placed ones any day.

plus, revolvers are koool.

Yup, I feel comfortable carrying a Model 36 with a couple speed strips. If I need more than that, chances are I'm screwed anyway.

Just curious, how much better is the trigger after Greg worked on it? I recently got a GP100 and think the trigger is pretty sweet. I'm just wondering what exactly he did (smoothed out, lightened it, etc) and if you feel it was worth it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 686 has a Derr trigger job. It's certainly much lighter than stock and very smooth, but with a little hint of unevenness mid way through. Maybe it's a little too light for my taste. I actually prefer the worn but stock triggers on my k frames, probably because I'm used to them and they have been smooth out by use.

Good trigger pull is very subjective. The one thing I know for sure is that once you get a gun with a trigger you like, never sell it.

I am looking for a new toy for the range, maybe the tackle box, and I will be carrying it during the fall/winter...

The three revolvers the OP mentioned are great for each one of the uses he picked, but none are great at all three.

Match the tool to the job.

You don't want to hammer with a screwdriver or screw with a hammer do ya?

This, on the other hand fits most of your needs...

5771.jpg

As far as revolvers, the only one i have in that bunch is the gp100 in 6" with hogue grips, its a awsome revolver, and although i cant speek for the otheres in the line up, i can say

The gp100 is built tough, and reliable, never any problems with it and would trust it with my life, and
Its a damn good buy

Awesome guys...get those pics up. Now S1991, get a GOOD belt and holster combo to carry the weight. Frankly I'd like to see a revolver shoot/get together sometime. :)

Picked it up this morning. Dont know how to post pictures on here and it wants me to upload it some where and give a url.. so... nopix4u
Click on the little picture looking thingy on top of the text box for replying. That should let you upload directly from your PC
Unless that's a member only thing, I honestly don't remember.

Click on the little picture looking thingy on top of the text box for replying. That should let you upload directly from your PC
Unless that's a member only thing, I honestly don't remember.

Never knew about that! I always use photobucket, but that would be great to be able to save a step. Thanks!

i own a 686+ 4" barrel and an SP101 4" barrel

the 686+ is a sweet revolver but i had some issues w the barrel looking very crooked (not an unusual problem w 686 models). S&W were downright insolent when it came to servicing the revolver. i had to really bug them just to get a shipping label. keep in mind this was like 2 weeks after paying full price for this brand new 686+. overall unimpressed by their customer service. i had heard it was great but not my experience this time around.

the SP101, although smaller and lighter, handles itself so well even with buffalo bore 357 magnum loads. if i were in the market again i probably would have gone w a GP100 instead of the 686+. yes the 7th shot is nice to have but i think if capacity is really the consideration i'm better off with an auto not revolver. i go w the revolver if i need reliability and ease of maintenance and 357 loads (i.e. outdoors).

in the future i might end up w a 327 or whatever the 8 shot S&W models are. the TRR8/R8 is amazing but i think i would end up fondling it and not actually putting it to use.

just my 2 c.

Back
Top Bottom