• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolverholics: S&W 686 vs. GP100 vs. SP101

The Smith revolvers of years ago were well made and one could make a decent argument that their smoother triggers made them an overall better gun than anything from Ruger. However, in 2014 when Smith and Wesson has completely given up on their revolver line (short of pro series and performance center guns) Ruger is by far the better buy all around.

Many old timers and individuals that are "Smith or die" type fanboys will be loyal until the end. But I'm embarrassed to sell new Smith 686's at my shop because the most common question is, "is this used?"

Ruger makes a more durable, and thus more reliable revolver and takes the time to inspect and clean their revolvers after test firing. They will outlast Smith's especially with heavier (+p or otherwise) loads. The Smith triggers are still marginally better but not worth the extra $200 and having to deal with rusty cranes, hammers from a scrap bin and tool marked frames!

Other used k frame to keep an eye out for:
Model 10-Fixed sight Blue in 38 spl
Model 64-Same as 10, but in SS
Model 65-Same as model 64, but in 357 mag
Model 66-Same as a 65 but with adjustable sights.

There are more of course, but these are the most common ones with 3" or shorter barrels.

Edit: Also the Model 13, which is a 65 in blue.

Last edited:
The Smith revolvers of years ago were well made and one could make a decent argument that their smoother triggers made them an overall better gun than anything from Ruger. However, in 2014 when Smith and Wesson has completely given up on their revolver line (short of pro series and performance center guns) Ruger is by far the better buy all around.

Many old timers and individuals that are "Smith or die" type fanboys will be loyal until the end. But I'm embarrassed to sell new Smith 686's at my shop because the most common question is, "is this used?"

Ruger makes a more durable, and thus more reliable revolver and takes the time to inspect and clean their revolvers after test firing. They will outlast Smith's especially with heavier (+p or otherwise) loads. The Smith triggers are still marginally better but not worth the extra $200 and having to deal with rusty cranes, hammers from a scrap bin and tool marked frames!

Oh boy....let the games begin
[popcorn]

Oh boy....let the games begin
[popcorn]

Meh. Let's not.

The OP should try both in a store, or better yet range if possible, and pick the one that he prefers.

S1991, it might help if you post where you're located. Many of use would be glad to let you shoot our guns.

hmmm, a model 60 3 inch j frame may also get the job done..anyone packing a model 60??

I've got one. Meh. Yes, it is a fair bit smaller than a K/L frame. Similar size to an SP101. Mine has an adjustable rear sight. My sp101 had fixed rear sight which I found useless - it was just too small for me to see.

In my experience, j frames just don't have as good a trigger as a K frame, even after trigger jobs. But they are a lot smaller, which is good and bad -- more concealable but I don't care for shooting .357 out of a j-frame, even a steel one.

I had a bianchi leather owb holster for my GP100 which could be hidden well enough. They shoot dead on too. I will definitely buy one again some day.

The GP100 or 686 are both fantastic at home defense and the range. But carrying those concealed is not an easy process.....yes there are guys on here that have stated they carry them as an EDC gun......my hats off to them as that is awesome.......by I think those guys are the exception rather than the norm. Just bringing this up as I wouldn't want you to buy a honkin gp100 for edc and be pissed that it drags your pants down all day long.

You are correct I think we are definitely not the norm. But those of us that do, really enjoy having it our sides. What's the phrase: walk tall and carry a big stick?

You can carry a 3" GP or 686 IWB. 4-6" sizes get a little long and heavy. It requires three things. A solid holster. A solid gun belt (my 2 are made by the holster maker and is stiff saddle leather). And pants that are forgiving. I'm telling you a holster/belt combo really makes or breaks a large heavy gun as a carry option.

The SP101 is a great gun. It's a great carry gun. It is however built for smaller (lady-like) hands for which GP is too big. It isn't my cup of tea at all.

To the OP or any member for that matter, I would be willing let any of you shoot my GP and try out the holster on your belt (or mine if same size) at any point.

I changed the stock grips for hogue grips and it made a huge difference.......I love the sp101 in 357.....splits the difference between j frame and 686 / gp100 imo

As others have said the 686 and GP100 are mid sized frames while the SP101 is a small frame. I have owned an 2.5" SP101 and 2.5" 686. I personally prefer the trigger and the looks of Smith and Wesson revolvers. The K/L frame is pretty fat to conceal carry and I would much prefer to carry the SP101.

Regarding durability they are all awesome revolvers and doubt you could wear any of them out. Internet folklore is that Ruger makes a stronger revolver especially in the 44 Mag cartridge.

Chris

I'm a big S&W revolver fan, but there is more than a little evidence that some of the older K frames developed forcing cone cracks when subjected to repeated hot loads. This doesn't seem to happen on Rugers, but Rugers also tend to be heavier (comparing K frames to GP). The L frame was developed to be more durable than the K, but with a slight weight increase.

I own guns in both K and L, and prefer the feel of the K frames (also not a fan of full under lugs). I mostly shot 38 specials with 170 grain cast bullets, so flame cutting and forcing cone cracks are pretty unlikely.

I've seen the new 66 has a noticeably beefier forcing cone than the older ones. Not a fan of the 4.25" barrel, but I'll snatch one up when they start selling them with 2-3" barrels.

Another vote for GP100. My second gun purchase was a 6" stainless GP100 and love it. It's cheaper than a 686 and you can use the savings to get a trigger job and buy some ammo. I had Greg Derr do a trigger job and it was $85 if I recall.

I read that they have modified the 66 so it holds up better to hot loads. Perhaps the forcing cone is part of that.

Thanks. I'll give you a tip. The best way to make a carry gun comfortable? Get a good holster. For a revolver, especially a larger framed one - get a pancake. It smooths out the bulge nicely. I'm 6'4" and ~ 220 and it blends in just fine. But I've got a solid holster there from Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged in Prescott, AZ. He knows his revolvers. He knows his leather. I love wearing mine.

All stock on the GP. I had the holster made specifically just for it. The black is shark. [devil]
View attachment 97216

So beautiful in so many ways! Did I mention that my wife ended up wanting the GP100 after all? This was after shooting the 3" range rental at MFS. Waiting for some shop to get one in stock now with no rear sight and just the blade front.

Love that holster!!

That is a very sweet looking piece! Don't blame you for never wanting to part with it either!

Sweet looking gun! [thumbsup]

So beautiful in so many ways! Did I mention that my wife ended up wanting the GP100 after all? This was after shooting the 3" range rental at MFS. Waiting for some shop to get one in stock now with no rear sight and just the blade front.

Love that holster!!

Thanks guys. I do love it. Very comfortable to shoot too.

@ 30Mauser - I'm glad she settled on the GP. You will be too. [wink] I'll admit - I had hard time finding stainless 3" in stock as well. I placed an order with Mark in Holliston in Jan 2013 - I got the call that it was in stock April 2013, but by then I had already bought a 4" (for the adjustable sights) off NES. I do see them routinely at the Marlborough gun show. If I were you I'd put up a WTB add on NES. I only really wanted what I have now, but it was so hard to find, even harder than the standard 3", I took what I could get. I eventually traded up. [smile] If you want to go shooting with mine before you get hers in, call me. Otherwise definitely call me once your heading to HSA with the 3". We can do a little steel plate match.

Another vote for GP100. My second gun purchase was a 6" stainless GP100 and love it. It's cheaper than a 686 and you can use the savings to get a trigger job and buy some ammo. I had Greg Derr do a trigger job and it was $85 if I recall.
I hope the OP goes with the GP for all those reasons - he wont be disappointed.

686 was the first .357 I shot and I liked it a lot, but I don't like the internal lock they have now.

The SP101 is great if you're thinking of carrying, and I like the GP100 too (although I own a Speed Six) but I'd say 686 over it.

I am a fan of getting a 22 cal version of the revolver. I have a 617 as well as 686 when times are normal will not be breaking the bank goin to the range. That is if 22's ever come down from retard prices. I prefer the sw myself.

All of these revolvers have vault-like build quality and can last for generations. The larger frames are essentially limited to duty-type or range guns. The mid-size is more interesting. The SP101 is a great revolver but quite heavy especially loaded. It has mass that seems out of proportion to its size. Any J-Frame sized revolver shooting .357 will be a handful. I bought a Titanium/Scandium .357 J-frame from a forum member a few years back. I fired five shots from it, put it back in its case, and promptly sold it a week later. Nobody needs that kind of punishment. And I know, it is made to be carried not fired, but you need to practice with it first!

The traditional NES answer to which revolver to buy, 686, GP100, or SP101 is of course to buy all three.

Chris

I can't speak for the S&W 686 since I haven't tested it, but I went with the GP-100 blued, and added a set of Altamont grips.

original.jpg

Damn this thread got more posts than I thought it would. I think since this will be my primary carry most months of the year. I'm gonna go with the sp101 or the model 60. I shoot my air weight snubby just fine and don't mind it, I have pretty small hands too. I also think a model 60 with 38 spl would be fine and it could double as a range gun well enough. I have a j frame already so I wanna give the Ruger a shot... But I so have a crossbreed horsehide holster that fits all model j frames....hmmmm

The short barrel sp101 barks at the indoor range too! When I was still going to public rental ranges (never go back to one of those places after getting a membership to a club) I was shooting mine loaded with independence brand 158 grain 357 along side a range full of 20somethings with their rented "nines" showing off to their girlfriends.......I let the first round go downrange and everyone stopped shooting and looked over at me with that "dafuk was that" look on their face.......PRICELESS!

i carry my 686+ 3" most of the time. i use a galco iwb holster with dual loops. i'm 5'7 145lbs, and i have no problem concealing in just a t-shirt. the weight is no problem as i wear a hefty belt. IMG_20140315_204808_899.jpg IMG_20140315_204855_781.jpg IMG_20140315_204200_480.jpg

i am however in the market for a Ruger sp101 for carrying in the summer as its a little slimmer. also i might put some wood boot grips on the 686 cause although i love the rubber houges, the rubber is grabby on my t-shirt and causes it to ride up when i bend.

Love that fireball! The 3" is just so much fun. Not that ringing a gong at 100 yards with the 6" isn't. Guess we all need to buy the fleet!

I can hit the gong from 100 yards with my GP100 4" shooting 38 pretty good, I hit 4 or 5 out of 6 rounds in a standing position, but with 357 I have more misses, I am going to fix that that soon as the weather gets warmer and I can practice more.

yeah, i think you just have to try it to see if it's comfortable for you. every ones version of comfort or tolerance is different. plus i shoot revolvers better than semi-auto's, so i don't feel under-gunned because i have less ammo or cause it'll take longer to reload. a couple well placed shots are better than a dozen ill placed ones any day.

plus, revolvers are koool.

Back
Top Bottom