• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolverholics: S&W 686 vs. GP100 vs. SP101

I'm a huge SP101 fan; light, easy to carry and you'll just plain forget it's there. However, since you've stated you already are covered by a 5-shot roundie, I'd give the GP100 a look. I dislike newer Smiths due to the shitty lawyer lock. You can easily smooth up a Ruger DA revolver trigger with about $10 in parts and 30 minutes of work, so I don't really feel the Smith has any advantage aside from that 7th round.

The SP101 is a lot smaller than a GP100 or 686. I had an SP101 and sold it. I've never missed it.

Personally, I prefer a K-frame over an L-frame, though used K-frames are apparently becoming more expensive. I will warn you, however, that a K-frame is a pretty big gun to carry concealed. I have done it (I've got 3 K-frames), but rarely. These days I'm most often carrying a Glock 23.

ETA: I'm also a S&W guy.

Last edited:
I picked up the GP100 4" (non-carry) last month and I love it. See avatar.

I watched "Justified" last night and the DEA agent had one and said how much he liked it. You know it has to be true since it is on tv. [grin]

I have a 3" 686 and love it, but it's big. I wouldn't consider carrying it IWB. My 2" model 64 (k frame) is quite a bit smaller. You may also consider a model 65, or 66 if you can find one.

For carry, the discontinued S&W 315 would be my first choice if you can fine one.

I am a S&W guy, love all of them. Just something about the look and function. I would buy a used gun if you can find one, the 686 is an l frame and is big. If your good size you could probably get away with it. Love watching all my old S&W hold (also go up) there value too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say anything about the S&W never shot one yet, but my GP100 is one sweet revolver, I hit the range every week starting out most times with 38S and then onto a few different loads of 357, I got some real hand stingers but it handles them nice and smooth, I love it . .

View attachment 97206

hmmm, since its also going to be a range gun, I think I'll stick with 6 or 7 shots... And since im gonna carry... 6 would make it thinner. Although the 7 shot is pretty cool in the 686. I believe smith brought back the model 66, I wonder if they make it in 2.5 or 3 inch. I thought the k frames were only available in 38 spl now a days. Although a used model 66 would be nice.

Looks like the 66 is back, in .357, and now it has ball-detent lockup. Sweet.

Personally, I prefer a K-frame over an L-frame, though used K-frames are apparently becoming more expensive. I will warn you, however, that a K-frame is a pretty big gun to carry concealed. I have done it (I've got 3 K-frames), but rarely. These days I'm most often carrying a Glock 23.

ETA: I'm also a S&W guy.

Looks like the 66 is back, in .357, and now it has ball-detent lockup. Sweet.

Get an N-frame 8-shot and come to the dark side. You know you want to. Everyone is doing it. [wink]

Get an N-frame 8-shot and come to the dark side. You know you want to. Everyone is doing it. [wink]

The only N-frame I have, the 625, is just a big too big for my fingers. Maybe it will work better with a different grip. I have to admit that a 629 is mighty tempting.

nice piece! I'm thinking of going with a bigger gun like the 686 or gp100. Is it a pain to lug around all day? IWB?

Im about 5 10 180 lbs btw.. I wish stores has all these in 3 inch around so I could pick em up and whatnot but I can never find 2 to compare at the same time
Thanks. I'll give you a tip. The best way to make a carry gun comfortable? Get a good holster. For a revolver, especially a larger framed one - get a pancake. It smooths out the bulge nicely. I'm 6'4" and ~ 220 and it blends in just fine. But I've got a solid holster there from Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged in Prescott, AZ. He knows his revolvers. He knows his leather. I love wearing mine.

Awesome ~ Are those the stock panels and rubber grip?

Love the basket weave on the holster
All stock on the GP. I had the holster made specifically just for it. The black is shark. [devil]
IMG_2044.jpg

I'm a big guy, but a GP 100 isn't something I could carry IWB without a big bulge. Love some of the ones I'm seeing on this list though.

I bought a Safariland holster for my GP to carry, it fits good and feels just fine, but the revolver is a boat anchor to carry all the time concealed, if we had open carry I would be all over it.

View attachment 97225

OP....you said you already have a 642 j frame. Is your goal to go to a 357 magnum? The sp101 is a fantastic carry gun (its has been my EDC for 1 1/2 years). It is an OK range gun. Sounds like you are looking for the gun to be both fantastic at both but in my opinion is not easy to expect from a 357 mag wheel gun. The GP100 or 686 are both fantastic at home defense and the range. But carrying those concealed is not an easy process.....yes there are guys on here that have stated they carry them as an EDC gun......my hats off to them as that is awesome.......by I think those guys are the exception rather than the norm. Just bringing this up as I wouldn't want you to buy a honkin gp100 for edc and be pissed that it drags your pants down all day long.

hmmm, a model 60 3 inch j frame may also get the job done..anyone packing a model 60??

If you were to decide between an sp101 357 mag and any j frame 357 mag please go with the sp101! I have had the "pleasure" of firing a model 60 j frame in 357 mag.......it would not be something I would do on a regular basis! Also on the model 60 the hammer is a bitch to cock for me......I have hands and the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger kept getting stuck between the hammer and frame.....even in double action. Guess your results might be different with that if you have small hands. But.....the recoil to me is more than "severe" in a j frame smith with 158 grain (the load elmer keith intended for the 357 mag) loads.

Back
Top Bottom