• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver: Ruger or S&W?????

There isn't a question asked nowadays that hasn't already been asked previously in one form or another. These repeat threads are not for you. They are for newer members who are asking questions they don't have answers to. Basically how a forum works. I know you know that but sometimes I think people need reminding that there are many who join these forums that don't know as much as the older members do. Let them ask. If not it's going to get very boring around here. You know, because there isn't a question that hasn't already been asked.

A quick search however could have added onto the thread for more information versus the same stuff that was just covered. It's not like anybody plastered DUPE all over this OP.

A quick search however could have added onto the thread for more information versus the same stuff that was just covered. It's not like anybody plastered DUPE all over this OP.

I'm not sure I understand. Its not like someone made you click on the thread either.....Do you lack the intelligence or the ability to just skip the thread if you feel it's already been covered?

I'm not sure I understand. Its not like someone made you click on the thread either.....Do you lack the intelligence or the ability to just skip the thread if you feel it's already been covered?

A combination of all of the above. Do you have anything useful to add or are you just adding to your thread count?[smile]

I am going to pick up a GP100 6" hopefully this weekend. Does anyone know of a shop (not four seasons I hate crowds) that has them available around the North Shore area?

I am at work and anything firearm related websites other then this one are blocked for me to look at.

A bunch of folks here have said that the Ruger is built like a tank. My father owns one and I think that is a fair description. However, they tend to look like a tank as well.

I own a 686. It is beautiful and I never had an issue with the reloads I shoot or factory hot rounds.

The trigger from the factory was fine. I wanted to improve it though and spent $20 +/- on some Wilson springs and spent 20 minutes installing. I could not ask for more.

current production S&W 686 are god awful. good luck finding one that works properly. personally i found the 686 to be lacking. the N-frame 627 provides impressive capacity of 8 and shoots nicely. on the flip side the current production model 66 is nice and slender, low bore axis, feels like the glock 19 of a revolver. the 686 is just a weird in between size for which I have no purpose. also the 7 round capacity is confusing for my brain.

to me the best 6 shooters currently on the market are either the model 66 or a GP100. ruger also has production quality issues that seem to be only getting worse, but at least ruger's CS is 2nd to none and they will make sure you are happy with your gun no matter what that requires on their end.

I am going to pick up a GP100 6" hopefully this weekend. Does anyone know of a shop (not four seasons I hate crowds) that has them available around the North Shore area?

I am at work and anything firearm related websites other then this one are blocked for me to look at.

Patriot Arms ipswich usually has em.

current production S&W 686 are god awful. good luck finding one that works properly. personally i found the 686 to be lacking. the N-frame 627 provides impressive capacity of 8 and shoots nicely. on the flip side the current production model 66 is nice and slender, low bore axis, feels like the glock 19 of a revolver. the 686 is just a weird in between size for which I have no purpose. also the 7 round capacity is confusing for my brain.

to me the best 6 shooters currently on the market are either the model 66 or a GP100. ruger also has production quality issues that seem to be only getting worse, but at least ruger's CS is 2nd to none and they will make sure you are happy with your gun no matter what that requires on their end.

I know some have had issues with recent quality from S&W. Though I have a new in the last year 442 and 686 SSR and both have been flawless. I think the OP has to decide how much 38 vs 357 shooting do they plan on doing. If it is mainly 38 then the 66 is perfect. If there is any plan to do significant shooting of 357 then having the heavier gun in an L or even N frame makes a difference.

I know some have had issues with recent quality from S&W. Though I have a new in the last year 442 and 686 SSR and both have been flawless. I think the OP has to decide how much 38 vs 357 shooting do they plan on doing. If it is mainly 38 then the 66 is perfect. If there is any plan to do significant shooting of 357 then having the heavier gun in an L or even N frame makes a difference.

Or he could spend $150 less on a gp100 and never worry about how much hot 357 he shoots at all lol

I've got a very nice, older 686 4" that I'll never part with, just an awesome gun. No love for the new lockable guns from me, though.
My buddy let me try his GP100 awhile back, and I really enjoyed it, too. Had me thinking about adding one to the collection.
They are both good. Fondle 'em both, and buy the one that feels right to you.

the 66 is a full size revolver. It will shoot 357 all day long. The older model 66 were also robust and this talk about shooting 38 is ungrounded. I dont buy a 357 to shoot 38. The latter is a boring waste of my time.

The modern 66 will eat 357 no problem. Its easy to shoot. This crap about rugers being more able to shoot more 357 is regurgitated groupthink. Only revolver i owned that shot itself apart was a GP100, not a S&W. ruger ended up needing to replace it. The endshake got so bad and the inside of frame was permanenty damaged. All from only 4k rounds of factory 357 mag ammo. "Built like tank"....well maybe one of those shitty French Renault tanks.

i like both ruger and S&W revolvers, but neither are perfect. Both suck in their own ways.

Last edited:
the 66 is a full size revolver. It will shoot 357 all day long. The older model 66 were also robust and this talk about shooting 38 is ungrounded. I dont buy a 357 to shoot 38. The latter is a boring waste of my time.

The modern 66 will eat 357 no problem. Its easy to shoot. This crap about rugers being more able to shoot more 357 is regurgitated groupthink. Only revolver i owned that shot itself apart was a GP100, not a S&W. ruger ended up needing to replace it. The endshake got so bad and the inside of frame was permanenty damaged. All from only 4k rounds of factory 357 mag ammo. "Built like tank"....well maybe one of those shitty French Renault tanks.

I am not debating the capability of the gun shooting 357 all day long, I agree that a modern 66 will have no issue with it. My comment was purely about having a larger gun for shooting a lot of hot 357 rounds. This is based on having 357s in K, L and N frames. I am not saying the K frame is bad, I personally don't mind it but I have found some people enjoy shooting the larger frame guns more when shooting hot rounds.

Or he could spend $150 less on a gp100 and never worry about how much hot 357 he shoots at all lol

Older (pre-2005) Model 66's apparently had issues after being fed a steady diet of hot .357 magnum ammo. The new (post-2014) K frame 4.25" Model 66-8 has some minor tweaks to re-inforce those areas subject to problems. I have 100% confidence in my S&W.

For how much I love shooting revolvers that makes me one hell of an old fart for someone in their 30s. [grin]

I keed! I keed! My friend's dad's service revolver was the first handgun I ever shot and got me hooked. I was definitely in my 20's.

Why not both? Circa-2010 638 and 1981 Redhawk I just picked up (holy hell .44 ammo is expensive on the north shore.)

DSC_8625_zps5vzy18qg.jpg~original

Seriously speaking, in my personal experience with guns I've shot or owned, I tend to think Rugers are more clever and modern designs, but Smith's manufacture quality is higher and the triggers are better. At least the Rugers I've seen up close tend to have more rough machining and wavy lines. Not that there's anything wrong with that in a shooter. Best DA/SA trigger I've ever felt was a Smith 66 from the '80s.

Last edited:
I keed! I keed! My friend's dad's service revolver was the first handgun I ever shot and got me hooked. I was definitely in my 20's.

Late bloomer...

I fired my first wheel gun when I was maybe 9 or 10. Colt Python 8" (357 Mag)... Then I went to the 1911 and didn't look back. Just got my first wheel gun the other weekend, since you should have at least one in your collection, in 357 Magnum...

Back
Top Bottom