• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver: Ruger or S&W?????

Getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a .357 revolver.

Ruger GP100 or a Smith & Wesson 686.

Opinions welcomed from the experienced folks on the board.......[grin]

Interested in the responses as I've been pondering the same except in the 44 mag variety, with the idea of adding a matching caliber lever rifle.

This has been hammered out here many times on nes. Your going to get a 50-50 split Ruger vs smith.

My thought........If you want rugged reliable at about $150 cheaper than the smith get the Ruger. If you want a smoother better trigger and pay $150 more get the smith.

Basically if you are a trigger coneseur and it's worth $150 more to you go smith.

How much money do you have?

I like the 686; my wife likes her GP100 Match. What do YOU like? YOU are the guy who's going to be shooting it.

Both have excellent reputations; both companies have superior customer service. Both revolvers will handle heavy loads (although the Ruger probably has the nod on this if you plan on loading Eddie-Coyle-style loads) and both are accurate. Gun Tests magazine gave the Ruger GP100 Match an A- and the 686 an A.

Put it this way - the only real difference is the mechanics of the gun. Both are great shooters; the S&W is probably a bit more expensive.

Hell, get both.

This has been hammered out here many times on nes. Your going to get a 50-50 split Ruger vs smith.

My thought........If you want rugged reliable at about $150 cheaper than the smith get the Ruger. If you want a smoother better trigger and pay $150 more get the smith.

Basically if you are a trigger coneseur and it's worth $150 more to you go smith.
Would also seem that the S&Ws are also lighter while the Rugers can handle the hotter loads.

I own a GP100 and have shot a friends 686...

-Smith had a nicer double action trigger pull, single action I didnt notice much of a difference to be honest.

-Ruger has the reputation of being a tank. If you handload and like to push the limits, conventional wisdom says you'll blow up the Smith before you'll blow up the Ruger.

-I felt the grip on the Smith was more comfortable even though it was wood and the GP has a Houge grip. Just fit my hand better and felt more natural. May not be the same for others.

-Smiths are more money.

All in all, I love the GP and cant say I feel any Smith-envy, even though its a nice gun. Cant go wrong with either one.

Asked a million times. Both great. Go handle them and buy whatever feels better. You can't go wrong

Getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a .357 revolver.

Ruger GP100 or a Smith & Wesson 686.

Opinions welcomed from the experienced folks on the board.......[grin]

Like dwarven1 said..you're the one going to shoot it.. you might want to "pull the trigger" on both before you "pull the trigger" on either..

FWIW- I prefer Ruger revolvers, utilitarian and built like a tank....and to complicate your problem even further, you can buy aftermarket grips for either revolver. I did just that to my Redhawk by putting on a pachmayr grip which totally changed the felt recoil. It was a very noticeable improvement, IMHO..

Midway USA made some interesting videos rating the GP-100 vs the Smith 686 from a SD perspective. The GP came out a little behind.. but so close as to be a dead-heat IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot both, have the 686. S&W hands down.

Then again, it was an easy decision...

IMG_0436_zpsspjozb8r.jpg

Both are great companies. I think it depends on what is available in the shop you go to. I handled the gp100 and 686 pro plus in my shop. The trigger was not even close. S&W won that one. The hammer felt a bit sloppy, and trigger was gritty on the GP. Now, I also own a GP100 22. Spectacular gun. Smotth trigger and no slop in the hammer. At the end of the day, I don't think it matters much. Just great guns. Having something that can shoot 357 mag and soft shooting 38 special is quite a treat. For now, it is my favorite gun, not because who made it, but because of the caliber.

This.

The only gun I regret selling is my GP100. The 686 is my wife's favorite.

You can't go wrong with either.

Bob

Ridiculous thread once again on NES.

Rule#1: Never never ever buy a Smith over a Ruger

Rule#2: Never never ever buy a Ruger over a Smith

Rule #3: Never never ever buy just one gun

See how simple this is just tell the wife you need two just in case she comes with you [smile].

IMHO I find the 586 much sexier in blue than the shiny 686.

I found the trigger/action of the GP100 superior to the 686/686 Plus. Which is why I got the GP100 two Sundays ago. Fired it yesterday. Happy with choice.

Like dwarven1 said..you're the one going to shoot it.. you might want to "pull the trigger" on both before you "pull the trigger" on either..

FWIW- I prefer Ruger revolvers, utilitarian and built like a tank....and to complicate your problem even further, you can buy aftermarket grips for either revolver. I did just that to my Redhawk by putting on a pachmayr grip which totally changed the felt recoil. It was a very noticeable improvement, IMHO..

Midway USA made some interesting videos rating the GP-100 vs the Smith 686 from a SD perspective. The GP came out a little behind.. but so close as to be a dead-heat IMHO.

Anyone notice at the 1:02 mark in the video that the .357 125gr had the same "Knockdown Factor" as the .40S&W 180gr? 9mm was way back on the list. [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:

^^^ THIS^^^

I had a Ruger Sp101, beautiful gun, but then I tried a 686 4 inch, could not believe how much shorter, smoother, and better the trigger was. Resulted in much greater accuracy.

I am not a trigger fanatic, just was no comparison to me. IMO.

And two weeks before that... and two weeks before that.. and...

There isn't a question asked nowadays that hasn't already been asked previously in one form or another. These repeat threads are not for you. They are for newer members who are asking questions they don't have answers to. Basically how a forum works. I know you know that but sometimes I think people need reminding that there are many who join these forums that don't know as much as the older members do. Let them ask. If not it's going to get very boring around here. You know, because there isn't a question that hasn't already been asked.

Lady Radtekk and I have matching GP100's 6". Love em, which is why we have a pair. Also, she likes them so much she bought an SP101 a couple of months ago. I have a Redhawk 44mag (actually for sale, shameless plug!) and a Super Redhawk (NOT for sale) both 7 1/2". I guess we're a Ruger family...

If op wants to try them out he's welcome any time.

And for what it's worth I just picked up an e series S&W 1911 which I love and carry, so I guess I'm not too terribly partisan after all...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just swapped my SD9 VE for a GP100 .357 6" stainless. I tried the 7-shot version of the 686 and liked it, but the Ruger became available and I couldn't pass up the deal. The GP is a lot of gun to be sure (3 lbs., if I remember right), and realistically it's strictly home defense with .38 or big-boom range fun with .357. It would be ridiculous to try to CCW the beast, my pants would be falling off!

I always answer this the same way.
Do you want one with an internal lock or one without an internal lock.

Back
Top Bottom