• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver recommendations requested

Hi All,

I'd like to get some recommendations on what to get for a "first revolver".

Here is my current collection:

Ruger SR22
Sig P226
S&W M&P15-22

I was initially looking at the S&W 617, but then I started to doubt that idea because I don't necessarily want so many of my guns to be 22lr.

Ruger gp100 (.357)
Ruger sp101 (.357)

The S&W 686 .357s are good, but I prefer the (smoother) action on a Ruger.

Last edited:
and you will have that all over the place. some prefer the GP some prefer the 686. i just recently sold my 686 which was an incredible gun, the trigger was great. ive also shot older Security Six model rugers that were excellent as well.

Dom

The S&W 686 .357s are good, but I prefer the (smoother) action on a Ruger.

Providing you don't mind the longer length trigger pull & cylinder index duration.

I think those attributes can be a little deceiving when you compare the two.

No one likes hearing it, but I LOVED the Taurus Tracker I fired a few years back. Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

7 shot .357 magnum 6.5" barrel, ported. Takes almost all the recoil and redirects it, so it never kicks up, the damned thing was a tack driver. I need to get my hands on one again... where's my friggin tax return!?!?!

627SS6.jpg

Just because I loved mine but got rid of it like an idiot I go with the Model 19.

Hey, I love my Model 19! But I will definitely pick up one of the Rugers sooner or later.

Side note: Next time I see you at the range you'll have to try my Hi-Power. (If there's any 9mm ammo coming in by then.)

If you want new, S&W 686. If you want used and one of the all time classics, any of the S&W K frame 357s. (13,19,65, 66)

You will never go wrong with having a nice .22 revolver.
Start at the beginning and work up.
Trust your first instinct

003_zps2f65e4de.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

I have several rugers and have had many S&W revolvers my favorite is my 4" 66-2. Carried it for years thru the early 90's shot the chit out of it and still do at the range. Just a great over all gun and slightly lighter than the 686 and 101's

Not a simple question really. What are you going to do with it? I would say any gun mentioned here so far would be great for certain purposes. Get a .22 and a center fire. More is better.

Can't go wrong with almost any Ruger or S&W. I think 4" is a good start.

Personally I prefer the k frames S&W revolvers (model 10, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66 etc) over the L frames (e.g. 686). I don't shoot 357 mag for fun, but if you do the 686 might be better.

If you go with a 22 revolver, I'd get a six shot version. They just feel better than the "high capacity" revolvers like the 617.

Back
Top Bottom