• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Revolver recommendation.

Rick1987

NES Member
I don't have one yet and want a revolver for my next purchase.

I am leaning real hard on a S&W 686.

This will mainly be a range gun but possibly a carry gun, I think I want at least a 4" barrel.

I also bring a lot of new shooters to the range so I think the 38 special would be good for that, and the .357 mag would be nice for me.

Any recommendations for a revolver for my needs?

Any expirence with the 686, good and bad?

Thanks.

The 686 is solid. I don't think you'll get many replies from people who have problems with them.
The Ruger revolvers are even more solid. Not the prettiest, but dead reliable.

Can't go wrong with a 686 or GP100. They are both very well made and go boom every time. I personally like the look and feel of the 686 better, but that GP100 is built like a brick shit-house.

I do like the look and feel of the 686 better than the ruger.

Any opinions on using the .38 special for new shooters?

I really didn't want a .22 but liked that I could use the .38 for them and .357 for me when I went to the range.

I also reload so I was thinking I could start with some light loads and work up to hotter loads. Then bring them over to my semi auto .40 and .45

I prefer a K-frame. A bit lighter and better balanced than the 686. There are plenty of 4" 19s and 66s around.

I think the 686 would be a fine choice. I actually use my Smith 586 when introducing new shooters, to the sport. I think the additional weight of the gun reduces felt recoil to negligible amounts. Let’s them build up some confidence before moving to anything snappier. A model 19 would probably work equally well.

Any expirence with the 686, good and bad?

Both - bought a 6" 686P new and discovered that I had real extraction problems after about 3-4 cylinders worth of .357. Sent it back to S&W and they claim they reamed the chambers. Problem still occurred. Sent it back again and they replaced the cylinder. Works great now, and it's a tack-driver. My glitch aside, I think it's a solid gun and even though there WAS a problem, S&W did fix it.

Get it and have fun with it.

You can't go wrong with a 686. Try to find a "pre-lock" version if you can. The Rugers are also nice but the trigger isn't as good in my opinion. (At least not out of the box.)

I do like the look and feel of the 686 better than the ruger.

Any opinions on using the .38 special for new shooters?

I agree about the look, at least vs the GP100. I find the SP101 to be on par with the 686 (at least aesthetics-wise), but the Rugers generally don't have the best triggers out of the box. To your second point, 38spl loads out of a larger 357 revolver are a great way to introduce new shooters to a centerfire handgun.

You said at least 4", but if you think you may want to carry I would recommend 4" as the maximum.

If a Ruger, GP100 in 3" or 4". If used Ruger a Speed Six (fixed sites/round butt) or Police Six (adjustable sites + round butt)has nice lines.

S&W IMHO needs the full lug to have the 'look'. Adjustable sites -686, 586, or Fixed sites -681, 581 are nice.

Of all the revolvers I own the 686 is one of my favorites. It balances great and it's heavy enough to soak up the recoil of heavy .357 mag loads. It works great as an intro gun because loaded with .38 Special 148 wadcutter target loads it is like shooting a .22 but still gives a newbie the centerfire feel.

I love my 686. A bit heavy to carry, but I've done it a few times without much issue. I mostly use it for a nightstand gun and carry around the house. Shoots great and has been problem free for me.

686 is a very good revolver with a nice trigger. Although they are harder to find, look for a 3" one, its a perfect balance of the concealabilty of a smaller barrel and accuracy/recoil of the longer one.

GP100 is also great. I had them both, wish I still had them.

If I were buying new I'd go with the GP100. If used, old school 686 or K frame.

I find most new people I take shooting prefer the K frame. Those few ounces
really make a difference.

686's are great, but so are GP100's. I bought a 4" GP100 and have been very happy. It is a tack driver.

Well...

I just ruined Christmas.

I was just telling my girl about this thread and how people like the 686.

Well she just handed me a recite for a 686 she put on layaway for me.

I need to get her something awesome now.

I was going to suggest the GP 100,but since your GF made the choice for you. Wish my wife would get me something like that for christmas.

Back
Top Bottom