Revolver or semi for carry?

Both. When I carry a semi, 39 rounds total. Revolver: 10 rounds total.

+1 Except my total ammo load when carrying a semi is either 30 or 34 depending on whether it is a S&W or a Glock

Right now a S&W Model 64 loaded with Buffalo Bore .38 Spcl +P 158 gr lead semi wadcutter hollowpoints fills the holster.

Lately I've been carrying both at the same time.[dance]

G27 w/Gold Dots in a Crossbreed, spare mag in left pocket. S&W 442 loaded with
Buffalo Bore .38 Spcl +P 158 gr lead semi wadcutter hollowpoints
in right pocket holster, speedloader of the same in left cargo pocket.

Semi. Usually one, sometimes two. G26 with 31 rounds.

I like to consider 4 things when deciding what handgun to purchase:

Reliability, Concealability, Affordability, and Capacity.

Semi-auto usually wins 3 out of 4 of these at least in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Lately I've been carrying both at the same time.[dance]

G27 w/Gold Dots in a Crossbreed, spare mag in left pocket. S&W 442 loaded with in right pocket holster, speedloader of the same in left cargo pocket.

Thank god for cargo shorts! Ironically enough, I find it easier to carry more hardware in the summer than any other time.

I only carry auto-revolvers.

images

Where did you find a holster for that bad boy? [laugh]

As to the OP's question: It depends. Mostly Autos, but sometimes I'm just in a revolver mood. Reloads, again it depends: Seecamp - none, too slow to reload and just not worth carrying a spare mag for its intended use. Other autos - 0-2 depending on what Im doing, wearing, etc. I try to carry one extra just in case the one in the gun fails, but sometimes I just have too much other sh!t to carry around. Revolver - at least one speed loader, sometimes with a few speed strips in another pocket if I want more.

Does the ammo carrier go on a belt or in a pocket?

Last edited:
Semiautos can be had in slimmer frames, which make for better comfort. This will likely be more tolerable than a revolver, though I do believe the revolver has its place in any gun owner's safe.

revolver - model 60 snub - 5 shot plus 2 reloads in speedloaders, worn in a pocket holster or a crossbreed. Usually loaded with Hornady's critical defense HPs.

I used to carry a RIA 1911, 2 spare mags, desantis holster - looking for a good IWB for her replacement, a SW 4506. Preferred ammo - golden sabr or Corbon's Pow'R Ball HPs.

G27 if I can wear a holster, S&W Model 37 if I have to pocket carry. Occasionally will carry a Sig P6 in the winter in a shoulder holster - used to do so frequently while plowing snow in the winter.

Semi 9mm and 52 rounds total on me. 18 in the gun and two spare 17 round mags. A shotty with 100 rounds of buck and 60 rounds of 9mm in the SUV. I have to escape Boston when the SHTF. That's not going to be easy. I learned that during the great snow storm when everyone tried to evac Boston at the same time. It took me 7 hours to go 28 miles.

Semi-auto with 10 rounds. I had a S&W model 60 that I wish I never got rid of and I may replace someday with an Airweight - I'd probably chose that as my ECW in most situations.

I don't carry any spare ammo and I never have. I figure if I can't get the job done with 10 shots of 9mm or 5 shots of .38 Special, I'm probably unlikely to get it done with 30 rounds. I would assume in most scenarios I'm going to use my ECW to put distance between me and my threat - I'm not going to engage in a protracted gun battle with someone when the only thing I have is a pistol.

A no lock S&W 342 J-frame in .38 Special with CT grips.
5 shots with no reload (it's a defensive pistol not an offensive weapon).
Only on rare occasions do I pack a speed strip with five extra rounds.

No matter what, any damn pistol is just used to fight my way to a rifle or shotgun.
smitty

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom