Revolver Cleaning question...

btnh6668

NES Member
I just got a Smith Model 642 and took it to the range yesterday. I was able to clean it all pretty good except for the front of the cylinder. There are rings around where the bullet leaves the cylinder and i cant get them clean. Ive tried using breakfree and hopes with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just got a Smith Model 642 and took it to the range yesterday. I was able to clean it all pretty good except for the front of the cylinder. There are rings around where the bullet leaves the cylinder and i cant get them clean. Ive tried using breakfree and hopes with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do you wash your car after after every drive? Leave it alone! Those rings on the front of the cylinder are from the combustion process. I wipe the cylinder with Hoppes #9 and then put the gun away. It has worked for 40+ years.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Those stains are stubborn, but with Hoppes and a toothbrush, and a lot of time, you can minimize them if you want. If the cylinder is stainless, you can be a bit more aggressive in cleaning. Something like a scotchbrite will work.

Hit your local gun shop and pick up a Lewis Lead Removing Cloth. Wipe the front of the cylinders and that black stain will come right off. Easiest and fastest way I know and no damage to the Stainless Steel. It can also be used on a Nickle cylinder but you don't want to do it often.

DO NOT USE on a Blue/CCH firearm.

Hope that helps,

Mothers mag & aluminum polish.
Takes it right off with very little effort.
I'm sure any metal polish will work.
Just go easy & reduce the amount of pressure as the carbon deposit disappears.

Mothers mag & aluminum polish. Takes it right off with very little effort. I'm sure any metal polish will work. Just go easy & reduce the amount of pressure as the carbon deposit disappears.
flitz and a microfiber cloth works also. you can make it shine like new, or i just give it a quick wipe on wipe off with the flitz and you get kinda a nice between look. i usually give the whole thing a quick light flitz wipe, i like to see myself.

flitz and a microfiber cloth works also. you can make it shine like new, or i just give it a quick wipe on wipe off with the flitz and you get kinda a nice between look. i usually give the whole thing a quick light flitz wipe, i like to see myself.

+1 on the Flitz. On my stainless steel revolvers I do the entire gun and they come out with a mirror finish.

I use the patented EddieCoyle method. Cylinder and crane come off and get immersed in Simple Green. After a few hours or overnight the stains just wipe off.

Don't worry about them. They are the sign of a healthy revolver.

This.

I don't think I would ever waste my time cleaning the cylinder stains/burn marks off a "working" gun. (like a 442/642) They just accumulate then stop. I clean everything else, though.

-Mike

This.

I don't think I would ever waste my time cleaning the cylinder stains/burn marks off a "working" gun. (like a 442/642) They just accumulate then stop. I clean everything else, though.

-Mike

NO, this. LOL

he asked how do you clean cylinder burns off, not do you or would you clean them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom